.ico not displaying properly on XP SP3

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Sep 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Anyone know what might cause icons not to display properly in XP SP3? I rebuilt the icon cache a couple of days ago by deleting IconCache.db from here:

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Application Data

then restarted.

I haven't notice anything amiss until today so I don't know if it's realted to the rebuild or totally unrelated. I rebuilt the icon cache again today just to see if it would correct it, but no luck.

They display fine on our other computers, one XP and the other Vista, and I can open them in Photoshop and they look okay. But on this computer something's wrong. In "Icons" view nothing displays, just blank icons, and in "Thumbnails" view some of them display and others don't. Unfortunately I don't have System Restore enabled so that's not an option. I tried booting to the last known good configuration but it just stalled and didn't do anything. I don't know if System Restore has to be enabled for that to work or if it's some other problem. I really hope someone has an answer for this cause I sure as heck don't want to reinstall Windows. o_O

Attached Files:

2. ABee

ABee Registered Member

3. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

ABee, one of those tweaks worked. It's the one: "Restore .ico File Associations." Thank you. Thank you, thank you! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.