ICMP Packets

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by toploader, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toploader

toploader Registered Member

now that kiero is up and running i'm getting occasional alerts like these....

incoming connection alert

remote: h219-110-059-001.catv01.itscom.ip
    [219.110.59.1] - ICMP [8] Echo Request

Someone on address h219-110-059-001.catv01.itscom.jp [219.110.59.1] wants to send ICMP packet to your machine

application - tcpip kernel driver

remote: ivhou-207-218-223-94.ev1.net [207.218.223.94] - ICMP [8] Echo Request

Someone on address ivhou-207-218-223-94.ev1.net [207.218.223.94] wants to send ICMP packet to your machine

remote: 51-228-171-14.dynamic.hinet.net [61.228.171.14] - ICMP [8] Echo Request

Someone on address 61-228-171-14.dynamic.hinet.net [61.228.171.14] wants to send ICMP packet to your machine

does anyone know what an ICMP packet is and why i am receiving them from websites i've never visited or have any connection with?

2. Tyreman

Tyreman Registered Member

Internet Message Control Protocol
    error-control-informational-messages-ping a test
    I guess you sure no isp etc. is comm. :doubt:

3. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Here's a thread about "pings" and the traffic levels you'll be likely to see. It links to an old thread that describes the period when a couple worms dramatically increased the amount of pings being sent all over the Internet.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=91269

Basically, you can expect to see all kinds of unsolicited traffic hitting up against your firewall. Most is caused by worm infected PCs all over the Internet that are looking for open and unprotected systems to infect. It's interesting to see just how much of it there is out there, but in time you'll probably just want to ignore it and tell the firewall to stop alerting you.

4. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

During the course of one day I can get lots of hits on my router firewall, and I've kinda of come to the view that it's par for the course, i.e. you might as treat the hits as background noise when using the net.

Sadly not everyone who uses the internet thinks about security, firewalls etc, but that's really a topic for another thread.

5. toploader

toploader Registered Member

thanks for the link LWM -makes interesting reading - i'm only getting a handful at the moment so it's not a concern - just curious as to what was happening.
    cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.