Iceland moves to Linux for public sector

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by linuxforall, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. linuxforall

linuxforall Registered Member

2. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

lol my highschool used Ubuntu to save money. Students hated it.

3. linuxforall

Of course they did, they can't play their favorite games on it.

4. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i like that quote.

5. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Well, that quote underlines the dirty games played to keep proprietary "office-ware" as the "standard". I had an unpleasant argument elsewhere with a salesman. Pity.

6. linuxforall

A simple note of saving in docx can fix all that and now even MS Office handles most ODF formats.

7. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Indeed. It's a shame when certain people can't understand this simple fact, then resort to making up nonsense like "propaganda". :(

Games? You think schools give students admin privileges to install games? It's got nothing to do with games, it's familiarity. If they grew up using Ubuntu they'd be fine.

8. EncryptedBytes

EncryptedBytes Registered Member

linuxforall's remark was meant to be tongue n' cheek. While I agree a lot comes to familiarity and the reluctance to learn a new operating system. That being said, linuxforall is right to some degree pulling from my own experiences many students used the machines as gaming machines and were really adept at fooling staff. I hope highschools now take computer networks seriously, though back when I was there simply locking down the account was not enough, many of us found ways to get games installed on the machine through other vectors. Of course this was back with Windows 2000, I’ve been out of that era for awhile.:D

9. linuxforall

Yep, propaganda that free and open source is bad is the trademark of the one who is loosing out all this business.

Games are what people use the other OS, thats why kids love it. Its tailor made for em ;)

10. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i guess student going to love linux tweaking and repairing it kinda game no :D

11. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

The kids mostly hated it because
    1) They weren't used to it
    2) Formatting gets screwy when you go from Windows to Linux or vice versa. Open a file in Word and it may not look the same as when you open it in OpenOffice/Libre. This was also the problem I had when using AbiWord.

12. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

That's part of the game. Convince people that appearance is more important than, or as important as, function.

13. linuxforall

Right on dot, convince people refined grains, white rice which is bland tastes better than natural color and people will forget about their health. Same goes for OS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.