IBM R31 ThinkPad - Model 2657 BG6

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Line, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Line

Line Registered Member

My laptop starts up and the log on screen appears but I cannot see the
    screen. I know it is a contradiction.

The screen is black but I know the laptop has started up ok because I
    can barely see the log on screen in the background (mainly the white
    writing). It's like everything is working apart from the "bulb" that
    lits up the screen.

Have I pressed a function button key accidently or is the light broken or
    has turned it self off for some reason?

At the back of this laptop there is a port to plug in a monitor but
    nothing happens when I plug it in and I cannot go to control panel to
    check the settings because off course the screen is black.

Any advice would be very welcome.

2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

When you first turn the computer on during the Power-on self-test(POST) phase before the operating system even loads....does the video presentation look normal at that stage ?

3. Line

Line Registered Member

No I cannot see anything at all!

4. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I am not familar with the layout of the Thinkpad but does it have a Function(Fn) key and also a Sun or Moon associated with maybe one of the F1-F12 keys for brightness adjustment ?

5. Line

Line Registered Member

Yes I have a Fn on the left handside of the space bar and it can be used with the following keys:

F3 (a blue square and an X)
    F4 (a blue square and a moon)
    F7 (a blue square with rounded corners and a monitor)
    F12 (a blue square and an arrow pointing at a cylinder)
    Home (a sun and arrow up)
    End (a sun and arrow down)
    PgUp (a beam - I think!!)

6. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Ok....does holding down the Fn and selecting the Home key increase the brightness each time you select it ?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2007
  7. Line

Line Registered Member

No, tried that several times.:'(

8. lodore

lodore Registered Member

does then the screen randomly turn off?
    because i had the same problem with my old 17inch flat screen monitor and if its under warranty get the screen replaced. if you do a quick Google search you will find its a common problem with LCD screens and it costs tons to get it replaced if not under warranty since no company seems to replace the bulbs.
    on the Google search i found that someone had the same problem with a apple i book and it would cost tons to replace it.
    i also found out that getting the tube replaced for my monitor when it broke would cost the same as a new monitor but lucky for me in the end they gave in and gave me a replacement.
    so if its under warranty ring up and explain the situation and get the screen replaced
    lodore

9. Line

Line Registered Member

No the screen is off all the time, from the moment I switch it on until windows has finished loading. I even can hear the usual sounds when Windows is loading but cannot see a thing.

Sadly my laptop is no longer under warranty as it is 5 years old now :oops: .
    Can I take a bulb from another laptop (same model)?
    Or remove my HDD and put it in a laptop that has a working screen just in order for me to save my data (I have lots of work on it)?

Thanks.

10. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

This may help . http://www.laptoprepairguy.com/laptop/2007/01/31/replace-screen-inverter-fix-backlight/
    you mentioned that you can see some image at log on . however it does say that if you cannot see an image on the screen most likely you have a different problem and there is nothing wrong with the screen inverter. so you may need to keep looking for some further options.

one of our members YeOldeStonecat sells IBM Thinkpads and possibly services them also. If you can catch his attention by pm he may be able to suggest an option

Last edited: Feb 13, 2007
  11. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

On my dell laptop their is a function button to switch between lcd/external display, does yours have anything similar?

12. Line

Line Registered Member

Great link thank you very much (going through it right now and it sounds like I have to replace my screen inverter - not sure if it is going to work though I have a R31 not T41 - worth trying!)

However I will check first if my laptop has this button to switch between lcd/external display. If yes, I presume this will allow me to plug my ThinkPad to a std pc monitor temporarily (so that I can see) in order to save my data onto disks which is my biggest worry right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.