I Would Use RollBackRx pro Now But...

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by huntnyc, Jun 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Graham

Okay, I get it. I like Rollback and use it with FDISR, but when I image I uninstall Rollback. I have restored an image I took prior to installing Rollback, when Rollback was installed, and any and all traces of it were gone.

What I do is keep an FDISR archive current. That way if something blows up, I restore the last image, then update with my FDISR archive which is Rollback aware, but only reflects the snapshot that I used to update FDISR. Then I do have to do a rollback uninstall and reinstall and all works well.

Pete

2. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Would like to read more about the backup snapshot feature and how it is done in Rollback 8. Does anyone know how I can get my hands on the user manual? I am just wondering if you can only backup one snapshot at a time to external disk? If the size of these snapshots are laarge in comparison to what you read in the managment window in Rollback? And, how would you restore these snapshots if you wipe your system partition, one of them only or all of them and thanks.

Gary

3. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Gary, the manual is included in the demo of RB8 which you can download. If you extract the .exe file and then, instead of running it, explore it with winzip or winrar etc then you will find a documentation folder containing pdf's.

Unfortunately, it is not going to get you very far in your quest :( . There is very little info on backing up from within RB. But, I have tried out the demo and I have gone through the backup procedure and I can confirm that, it will only back up the snapshot you select from those available. Which seems to be a bit of a missed opportunity from their point of view. I've been able to do that from within Windows using DS and differential images for ages....and they take up less space as well.:blink:

Graham

4. huntnyc

Thanks Graham. Just not interested in this right now then. My thinking is, if they can put an image program like interface to manipulate bakcups and even break them down into separate partitons, that would be wonderful but i guess that is the difference between the levels at which these programs work. For now, I am happy with the instant restore of 7.2.1 so I will stay here for a while. Jues need to decide if I should even think about taking advantage of the 50% discount on version 8 although I won't install it for quite a while. Thanks again.

Gary

5. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

Also, backing up and restoring using the Backup feature of Rollback is very slow compared to other imaging products.

6. silver0066

Hi Pete,

You said in an earlier post that you keep 3 or 4 images.

Do you mean that every time you create an SP image you uninstall Rollback, do the image, then reinstall Rollback? Or, do you just depend on the old pre-Rollback image and latest FD-ISR archive?

Have you tried to Recover an image with Rollback installed? The reason I am asking is that Rollback licensing requires you to email support everytime you uninstall/reinstall for them to reset your license.

Silver

7. Peter2150

I well since I bought the 2 licenses, and only have it on one machine, I get two shots before emailing, them, although they are very prompt. They also told me there is a fix to the problem due out in July. Problem isn't the uninstall install, but the defrag.

I image without Rollback and what I do down the road is keep an FDISR archive up to date. What I did to test, is just restore the image even though Rollback was installed. I always restore track 0 and the MBR from the image. After restore, I just had my system back like it was when I imaged. No trace of Rollback. Then using FDISR I updated my primary snapshot from the archive. My system now has Rollback installed, but no snapshot, and not in the MBR. If you try and run it, it says it isn't installed. All I do then is uninstall and then reinstall Rollback and it runs fine.

This wouldn't work if you wanted to keep all your Rollback snapshots, however. For me that isn't an issue.

Pete

8. Jo Ann

Jo Ann Registered Member

Would you guys please specify the version of Rollback (RB 7.2.1 or RB 8.1) that you are discussing in each of your posts?

Thank you. ;)

9. Peter2150

I am just using 8.1

Pete

10. silver0066

Pete,

I think that you still can Recover from a backup image, even though Rollback is installed on the backup image. You still have to uninstall, reinstall Rollback after you recover, but you do not have to reactivate. At least that is my recollection from a month ago when I was using Vista and XP each in a FD-ISR snapshot..... both with Rollback installed.

As you stated, you don't get all of the Rollback snapshots, but you can update your FD-ISR archive to get current.

Silver

Edit: I am using 7.2.1

11. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I just finished uninstalling Rollback after experiencing another issue with BSOD with it again so it's finished in my inventory untill they sharpen up the code to handle matters better then this. For those who do have it running up to expectations, good for you and i hope it continues that way, but for me and me and my units it's off the interest list for awhile.

I will not tolerate any software program that makes a serious problem repeatedly for me, and i have tried it on other hard drive's/systems with same results.

It goes in my Sandboxie category for now, that's another one that simply can't provide issue-free for my XP Pro units.

12. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Easter,
    Jo Ann needs to know which version of Lollback. ;)

13. silver0066

I had the same problem using V8.1. I have switched back to v7 and it is stable, at least so far.

14. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

8.1 isn't available yet, is it tho? Or is this a beta version?

15. Peter2150

Your right, I have the latest version and it says 8.0[MOVE][/MOVE]

16. silver0066

Sorry. That is a typo.

17. huntnyc

Just another update to this thread. Had been using RollBack 7.2.1 and was very happy with it but today ran into system stability probablems - infinite loop that I could not get out of using Rollback either from Windows or preboot, Windows kepting restarting with no chance to log in.

So had to revert back to a pre Rollback image that I had made with SP. i like the idea of Rollback quick recovery and small footprint but I like a stable system better. Cannot say what exactly was at fault here but will stay with just imaging solution right now and maybe try mixing it with another instant recovery software down the road.

Gary

18. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thanks Gary for sharing that someone else is also experiencing issues with Rollback Rx.
    Don't get me wrong, if this rollback program proved stable that would be great and i likely would run it on my units but certainly not at the same time as FD-ISR, i'm not that trusting of these type proggies running together. ;)

On advice in this forum section i reverted also back to version 7.2.1 from v.8. It seem to do OK for awhile and then i too suddenly one day kept getting stuck in those endless loops at simple boot up with no way out, but with me i had to Uninstall to a "working" snapshot and ALL OTHER SNAPSHOTS AFTER THAT are deleted. Not good that Rollback doesn't afford the user to save Archives/Snapshots (ALL OF THEM) so you don't lose programs/data/settings etc. like FD-ISR "Does" provide.

I not give up on it just yet though, i think the concept is really beneficial in many ways and that some fine tuning & bug fixes are in order right now before this program can be relied on to the extent as a FD-ISR. But this is just my opinion from my own personal experiences with it so far, and from what i been reading lately (and all along) i'm not alone with issues coming from it.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2007
  19. huntnyc

Easter,

I second your opinon. Love the concept and if bugs are out and it can be trusted, then I might use it but I will look in the direction also of something that will be more harmonious with imaging which is a wonderful safety net to have when trying to trust these instant recovery options.

Gary

20. huntnyc

Tried reinstalling Rollback to give it another chance but of course got the you have exceeded maximum number of times activating message and cannot activate unless I go through the same process of submitting support ticket I did just a couple of days ago.

too bad Rollback has such great potential but has some problems and to top it off the annoying activation scheme.

Gary

21. huntnyc

Will try to get reactivated again from support but wish they would be more flexable on this.

Gary

22. nexstar

nexstar Registered Member

Gary, sorry to see you and Easter having similar problems. I've got 4 systems running 7.2.1 and one (Vista) system with v8 but have never seen this issue (so far:eek: ) .

As a matter of interest, did you keep the image you made at message #29 in this thread? If you install that one then you won't have to reactivate at all :) .

Graham

23. huntnyc

Graham,

Thanks for the sympathy. No, I did not keep that image because I just decided to start clean again. I am sure they will activate me within a few days but it si just a hassle. Probably should have kept that image and just given it a try anyway.

Have created my snapshots with ease and look forward to being reactivated. This software is just what I would want to use if it can be stable on my laptop. Will update more later and thanks.

Gary

24. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

I don't know if issues like this with Rollback Rx mystify or it's just plain dumb luck that a majority of users will experience great results while others will have disappointments. Either/Or, something is definitely amiss with RollbackRx IMO with some systems as evident by complaints stemming from actual problems run into.

At any rate i wouldn't be a bit surprised if more users eventually weigh in with their own conflicts from it at some point. I've seen this happen before. A program will run fine for quite a while but then all of the sudden one day your PC refuses to boot. That's why i'm always leary where concerns these rollback proggies with one exception of course, FD-ISR.

25. Peter2150

Interesting. I've been running V8 here no problems, although I keep things simple. I keep my FDISR archive current, so that plus ShadowProtect gives me a bail out cover.

The activation issue problem is due to be fixed on a new version of 8 coming out in July

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.