I wonder if I need an AS?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by JerryM, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I have used Spysweeper, Counterspy, and Spyware Doctor. Other than a few cookies, and FPs they never find anything whether I have had them active or just as on-demand scanners.

I also have Spyware Guard, Spyware Blaster, AdAware, and Spybot.
    I keep everything updated.

With the AVs and ATs, like Ewido, and the free programs, it is not clear to me that the paid anti-spyware programs are doing anything.

Comments please?

Jerry

2. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well I personaly don't use any active spyware protection since they are heavy on resources. I am using Ewido 4 beta active for now just to see how it is, but probably would take it off later. I have KIS 2006 running active as my mine line of defense and with extended database click on, so that should help with the spyware. To be honest as you can see other people here, its more about hardening than running active spyware software with that you can get the free on demand ones like superantispyware or ewido. There are others like trendmicro's antispyware online scan plus ewido has an online scan as well. I also only find a few cookies and some false possitives in the zonemaps area but thats due to the spyware blaster and sybot immuniztion, nothing that the active spyware would have cought though..

dja2k

3. bktII

bktII Registered Member

Take a look at this URL from "Gizmo" regarding free AV, anti-spyware, AT and layered security:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/free-vs-paid-av-part2.htm

Also note that there are plenty of recent reviews that show that Ad-Aware and Spybot are not individually on par with the paid AS products you have mentioned.

I also use "free" AS software including Ad-Aware Personal, Spybot S&D (incl. Teatimer) and Spyware Blaster (I have made donations for both Spybot and Spyware Blaster).

In addition, I have a paid version of Ewido Anti-Malware on my PCs. With their acqusition by Grisoft, they will "most likely" be adding AS capabilities beyond those already present (and, hopefully, also improving their AT capabilities?). See the Wilders Security thread under Ewido regarding the acquistion. Some uncertainty here. I plan to ride it out.

I also use free AV and paid intrusion protection software.

I am not overly concerned about spyware given my setup, but I have fairly tame surfing habits. However, you can always use the online sypware scanners from time to time. Also, you can download, install and use the Windows Defender beta 2 (also free). This latter action would be somewhat consistent with the "Gizmo" eval. posted above.

Question, somewhat off-topic: Is MS in the process of turning their (formerly Giant) anti-spyware product into a mediocre AS product? Used to be at among the top performers.

Regards,

bktII

4. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks for the replies. I have all the programs, except Prevex, but do have WinPatrol.

It just seems that in over 2 years nothing is revealed except a few tracking cookies that AdAware or Spybot turn up.

I liked the article, and it makes a lot of sense.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.