I want to uninstall winXP from my computer.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Lamehand, Jul 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I have this pentium 3 computer with two harddrives inside, on the main HDD i have winXP installed and on the second HDD i have Ubuntu 6.06 installed.

I want to get rid of winXP on that machine, but the big question is; will it be able to boot-up in linux from that second drive after i remove winXP?
    I've been looking in boot.ini but didn't see anything changed, so i guess that the MBR on that first drive isn't altered but i'm not sure.

I could use gparted to change that windows-partition to vfat and it would be gone of course and after that make a fresh install but i would rather avoid that.

I sure want to get rid of it because Ubuntu runs much faster than winnie on that machine.

2. ThunderZ

ThunderZ Registered Member

With 2 separate hard drives it should be no problem. Just set the Ubuntu drive to Primary using the cables and jumpers.

3. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

If you set the jumpers to Cable Select (CS), then just put the ubuntu drive at the end of the ribbon, assuming we're talking IDE drives here.

4. Lamehand

Lamehand Registered Member

the Netherlands,very near to the North sea
    I hadn't thought of that, i could make that drive the primary.

Thanks
    Lamehand

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.