I want to study a computer language.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Konata Izumi, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

3. Konata Izumi

4. Konata Izumi

After taking a long sleep, I feel like doing this instead of C++ o_O
    it looks way easier and more fun! :D

5. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

wait till you get to cross browser compatibility

6. Konata Izumi

Will you still be teaching me? :oops:

7. iravgupta

Given the fact that I have a very demanding job, and we have limited means of communication, I don't think I can teach you in the literal sense of the word. All I can do is guide you and help you when you get stuck.

8. Konata Izumi

We could do it via IM. XD
    by the way, I've already settled my mind on web developing.

Where do I start? :oops:

9. iravgupta

Considering that you have no experience in J2EE, .NET, PHP etc. I believe what you actually want to do is Web Designing. It differs from Web Development. Web Design is more geared towards creating the front-end, i.e. the look-and-feel of the web site.
    To make it as painless as possible, first make sure that you have very strong fundamentals in standards compliant HTML, CSS, JavaScript and Ajax(this would require some knowledge of XML too), in that order.
    From day one, when testing any of your code you will need to learn tricks to make your page render the same across IE6, IE8, FF, Chrome, Safari and Opera.
    Avoid using any tools that automatically generate HTML for you. It's simply not advisable for a beginner.

10. Konata Izumi

I see.
    Any references?
    or this would do http://www.w3schools.com/ ?

11. iravgupta

That is a very good reference. Keep it bookmarked. Start with a good tutorial like HeadFirst HTML and CSS. See if you are comfortable with their presentation style.

12. Konata Izumi

Thank you, I'll be starting back to HTML to learn the basics.
    I'll tell you if I got stuck. :-*

13. iravgupta

14. Konata Izumi

15. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Start coding. Read the guides etc, then start coding. Booksmarts mean zilch, nada, zero. They teach you what a type is, what a class is, what the components are, but until you have to use it, it's very hard to grasp the concepts you read about. Choose to do something, and do it. Fail. Fail. Fail. Understand the logic. Don't settle for what works so-so. Tweak it so that it does exactly what you want to, and understand why.

The logic you learn actually creating a "thing" is what is important. Why do different loops perform so differently? How can you make it the "quickest"? Building this foundation, regardless of the language, is what lets you cross into other languages. Commands and syntax may differ, but the logic behind them remains the same.

My one great tip for you: think globally instead of privately. What does that mean? It means when you write code, and you have a section that will be used in one place, think larger. Perhaps with enough good code, it can be turned into a nice routine that many other parts of the "thing" can use. It will take some time to get this idea. You will repeat much the same types of code over and over in different private areas, until one day "BANG!", you get it, G L O B A L to all routines. As you go, you will start to keep these global snippets and incorporate them into many of your codings if you have similiarity in what you do, which is usually the case as you start learning.

Just some thoughts I had from my own experience.

Sul.

16. Konata Izumi

Thank you Master Sully.
    I got it. I will definitely start coding after I learn CSS and Javascript, HTML DOM, DHTML, AJAX and jQuery.

man this is really fun! :D

17. Konata Izumi

Any tips to help me remember all of these classes, properties etc. o_O
    my brain is failing me. o_O

18. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Umm, code something. Seriously, reading about what a class is helps you get to know it, but until you use it you can only imagine what it is and how it works. Same with properties. One nice thing about an IDE is that you can usually see all the properties and methods listed conveniently (depending on the IDE) so you get to know what is available. Playing with something, experimenting what it does and why is the best teacher.

Actually, I have always found that trying to do something that is beyond my skill level is the best method. Join a forum devoted to that language and ask for specific help on lines that stump you. Search those forums first, because odds are someone else has already asked the same question.

Sul.

19. Konata Izumi

Thank you. I'll do that.
    Can you recommend a forum to learn web building? :-*

20. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Pesonally I dislike html, and have avoided it. There are plenty of uses for it, as the world can attest to, just not really my interest. lol, my website is a shining example of using the absolute minimum code to get the job done. I use html-kit or a text editor myself. Just be aware that when you use an IDE, many of the ones that help you create web pages put a lot of "gobbly-gook" everywhere, which can be a major pain to manage if you stop using that particular IDE. IMHO good code should be written because you have knowledge of it, not because you can drag and drop a component. But, that being said, they can be great learning tools if you actually go back and examine what the code was that made your effect happen.

If I want help, usually I do a search something like this to find forums (you can and should be much more specific if you are hunting for a solution to a specific problem)

forum help with html
    or
    html help forum

Many times places like www.codeproject.com will have good examples and complete sources for things. You can glean a lot of info by seeing how someone else has already done at least part of what you want to do.

Sul.

21. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Hello There!

If you don't know what language to Auto didactically learn! I would step away from C or C++ or even C#...

Perhaps you may want to consider an easy scripting language capable of just about everything, comes with it's own compiler and is 100% Free! (Yep, I said Free)

Try this site: http://www.autoitscript.com
    Why? Well, as far as programing principles are concerned you will be able to apply them all, in simple easy terms then you can migrate all to whatever other language you wish to use later. But the learning process is in my opinion simplified with Autoitscript and the support community is large and supportive...

Also if you are a budding system administrator you will need ways to automate tasks like server patching and security jobs....

That is what Autoit was originally designed to do and it's now incredibly powerful and mature.

Another good resource for you to figure things out is this:

Go here to figure out what actually exists outside of the Big Name exploitation machines... and see what's out there for yourself.
    http://www.developer.com

Then once you actually know what to do you can go here and sell your services: http://www.freelancer.com/

Instead of becoming just another tech slave, exploited to the bone by everyone with an urgent technological problem but entirely unwilling to respect you enough to actually pay you adequately for your work! :D

Did I forget to mention that they will probably outsource your job as soon as some third party corp is willing to do the same for half of what they paid you?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  22. Sully

Sully Registered Member

AutoIT is a fine script language, I use it all the time. I don't know about stepping away from something like C though in favor of a script language. The reason is quite simple: you can hack your way into using dlls with autoit, converting the datatypes to autoit, but I don't think you would do well to use dlls in autoit (as an example) and expect to transition into C very easily. Autoit really on has one datatype, a VAR.

Don't get me wrong, most of what people need to do can be done with a script language, and autoit is very robust. But I think if your end goal is C, you should start with C. But a lot can be said for using a script language to teach you basic logic.

It all depends on where you expect your roadmap to take you I guess.

Sul.

23. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Hello Sully,

My comment was in relation to self acquired programing concepts...

Things like Includes, Variables, Functions, Arrays, loops, algorithms etc...

For someone not doing the college route to programing knowledge you will often meet some who fail to easily absorb such things as they may easily develop some empirical skills working on simple home made projects, but the theory required for more substantial efforts will be painfully missing... :-*

C type languages are so much more complex to learn than Autoitscript that you must overcome those complexity before being able to absorb the conceptual knowledge I stated above increasing the likeliness someone will quit the complex task that is learning to program...

The fact you can very easily build, and learn these elements within a simple and free framework comes to me as a natural recommendation...

On a worthy note, I have Eclipse for C, C++ development always at the ready on all my machines.... So I certainly have nothing against C type languages :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  24. YanK33

YanK33 Registered Member

i just want to take a full lesson on Adobe Flash programming $$$$$

25. Sully

Sully Registered Member

@Hermes

Overall I agree with you. I have learned a good deal about many different languages. AutoIt is the only one that I am very efficient at primarily because I have spent so much time coding in it.

C,VB,Perl,Python,Java,VBS,WMI,Batch/Basic,scads of other macro/script languages such as browser plugins etc, even a little assembly, most of them require always keeping a DOM on hand when I use them. Heaven forbid I have to do any Ruby,ASP,CGI type stuff, lol, I so do not enjoy it.

Most of what I do is easily accomplished with AutoIt. I use it primarily because of being able to compile the scripts and ship it out with no dependencies and it just works.

However, as I desire to do more and more complicated things, I outgrow the abilities of AutoIt in the sense of how many resources it uses or how complicated it is to create features. If one can endure a little tongue lashing from Valik he can usually steer you in the direction of how to figure out the most complicated aspects (if you know what I mean ;) ). But hacking out a routine in AutoIt can come with a price, resource wise.

In C, when I have chosen to do so, the result is smaller and faster code. It is the pain of learning or in my case, always 'refreshing' my memory to be able to do what I want. Had I just known that I would end up being able to use C more than I thought, I would have ignored the initial pains of using brackets everywhere, and not gone the VB and scripting route as much.

But hey, this is just a hobby. Teaching yourself to code is fun to me anyway, even if it does not come as fast as I wish it would, ahem, the family requires some of my time too :)

Sul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.