I want to study a computer language.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Konata Izumi, Jun 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

I want to study a computer language

Which computer language should I study?
    I've only done a few programs in JAVA including the "hello world" thing but I don't like JAVA programs.

I'm thinking about studying C++ or C#.
    but I'm having a hard time to choose. :'(

I will study at home by myself... can someone give me tips. ^^

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

C# needs both Windows and .NET Framework.
    C++ is cross platform.

C++ basically also contains everything which is available in C#, so if you have loads of time, learn C++.
    C# is probably easier to learn.

The first one takes a lot of time to learn, but when you know one of both, the other will come really quick.
    You could also try Python first.
    A lot of people go HTML/CSS/JavaScript -> PHP/MySQL -> Java -> Python -> C# -> C++.

3. Konata Izumi

OMG!!
    I want to take a shortcut and learn everything about C++ asap.

I already have few knowledge about each of the languages...
    HTML/CSS/JS I'm around intermediate.
    Php/MySQL I'm beginner
    Java also beginner
    Python beginner

is it possible to learn C# with just a few knowledge in programming? ahh I'm also bad at math.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

C language.

I know bits and pieces about many, and can usually hack my way through any of them, but prefer script languages when possible simply because it is what I know best and I get done faster (not to mention for what I create they are more than sufficient usually). I wish beyond measure that I had focused on C from the beginning.

Sul.

5. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

6. icr

icr Registered Member

You can directly jump to C++ and as you are trying to study at home I would suggest you to buy this book. Its really good and easy to understand I referred from this book:)

7. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Goal (yes, I caught it)? Good question - the all important objective.

8. Konata Izumi

I think I'll study visual basic first...
    then C to C++

to write good malware... lol :D
    jk.

EDIT: Actually I have lots of time to spare. I'm not going to school and I'm always at home... studying some programming language should kill my boredom, no? :D

9. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

If you want to properly learn any object-oriented language like C++, C# or Java, then first of all understand what object-oriented programming really is. You need to learn to think from the object oriented perspective. The so called reference books won't help you learn that. Studying the definition of the terms Data hiding, data encapsulation, polymorphism won't help either. They are just concepts that will come naturally when you understand the object oriented way of thinking about software.

Programming is as much of an art as much it is a science. What do most programming language books have - rules. Pick almost anyone. What they will teach you is - this is valid and that is invalid.

It all depends on what level of expertise you want to gain in the language you choose. Picking up bits and pieces from a few languages will hurt your learning process. Choose a language first, and then we can have a discussion on how to go about it.

@icr - I wouldn't touch that book with a ten-foot pole if I am someone who wants to learn the language. Apologies, but I have extensive experience in evaluating technical texts for their effectiveness when used in a beginner's environment.

10. Konata Izumi

I choose VB or C++

11. iravgupta

This response tells me two things -
    a. You really didn't fully get what I said about OOP, or you would have first asked how to go about it.
    b. How can it be "VB or C++"? You still not fully motivated about a particular language? Its not like you are a complete newbie in the field of programming, right?

12. Konata Izumi

I don't have a clue where I stand in the programming field.
    maybe I'd tell you my background.

I enrolled as an IT (CS) student but I dropped out of college after 3 or 4 months, so I basically learned a few things about JAVA, computer history, computer language types. that's all.

I want to specialize in C++ or VB. (if you want one then I pick VB)

Ok, so how do I go about it?
    Oh! I don't have a clue about how each languages differs. ^^

edit: I don't know OOP yet :D

13. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

There is Smalltalk for an OOP language.

Start by googling "youtube" asap. :D

And what is Object Oriented Programming really?
    Can it be described in a post or two?

14. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I really agree with this for the most part. I have certainly found it to be true in my case.

Sul.

15. Sully

Sully Registered Member

I have done a lot in VB. It is not a bad language to develop in. However, it is a pain to when it comes to dependencies, as all can be. There are many advantages to using C of some flavor. If I could do it all over again I would have went with C++.

Much of it depends on what you are going to do. Most of what I do only requires scripts. I think most common tasks are that way. When you want a GUI for what you are building, then things get different. VB or C can both do that, as others can. A lot of what I do though only needs a GUI to interact with what a script can do, so I use autoIT a lot. You compile it and there are no dependencies really. Perhaps you should focus on trying to determine exactly what it is you will be doing with your "programming" and choose the language that fits that criteria rather than learning a language and then trying to make it fit what you plan to do?

Sul.

16. Konata Izumi

I want to create programs like SuRuN and PGS.
    Programs that is specifically designed for Windows.

I'm eager to learn now after I became contented with my "Current Security Setup".
    I realized that I've wasted alot of time already just by being out of school for 5 years or so because of my habit of staying in front of the PC
    surfing the internet for almost 24/7.

my family has no source of income and I think I may be able to help them if I can program and earn money at least to pay for my internet
    and elecricity bills.

17. guzheng

guzheng Registered Member

oh, IMO,
    if you want to be a system programmer, should study C/C++ and asm.
    if you want to be ui programmer, C#/VB is a good choice,
    if you want to be a database programmer, delphi is best.
    if you want to be a web programmer, php/perl...
    and if you are good at C/C++, all others are not difficult to learn.
    and I think C/C++/delphi is a "language", others should be "tools", so welcome to study C/C++. -:)

18. T-RHex

T-RHex Registered Member

guzheng said it well.

And I think it's more important to learn *how* to program than *what* to program. If you pick up one language thoroughly, the others come easy.

If you want to get into technical programming, I would say start with C++. It has a lot of lower level concepts that the other languages (ie. Java/C#) "protect" you from. If you understand C++, the other two come very easy. Doesn't work as well the other way around.

But whatever you choose: go for it! It's a great and fun career (and can be addictive). Good luck.

19. Konata Izumi

Thank you. I'll go with C++ then.
    Can somebody give me an upstart? into C++ Programming?
    like start with OOP or something.

20. iravgupta

Ok, I hereby declare my full cooperation in your quest to master C++. The word 'master' is important, it requires passion towards learning on your part. But the results will be rewarding. Trust me on that. Check your PM.

21. PunchsucKr

PunchsucKr Registered Member

That book is awesome that icr recommended...
    but ya not so much from a beginner's point of view, my friends have a hard time with it...

22. Konata Izumi

Thank you ravi16aug

and everyone feel free to teach me too via Windows Live IM
    AZNetizen@live.com

23. Fly

Fly Registered Member

A very long time ago I learned to do some basic programming in Basic, Pascal and Assembly. I'm not up to date at all.

Are you some kind of genius ?
    If not ... you'd probably have to learn about algorithms, heuristics, structured programming, debugging, and much more.
    If you want to learn to program, those things come first, not language.

C is probably quite difficult for a beginner, unless you're talented.

I don't know anything about VB at all. Supposedly Basic was very bad for beginners because of its lack of proper structure.

In which country do you live ? Learning quickly to create programs with which you can earn money is probably an illusion.
    Do you know what kind of programs you want to create, and who would pay for those ?

24. Konata Izumi

Philippines :oops:
    I'm not planning to earn much... If I could someday learn how to program, I'd make my programs free, only accepting donations from it.
    :)

or maybe I could offer cheap services which I could do with my attained programming experience

25. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.