I want to Print out filenames in windows explorer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Nov 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

...and there is a program called C2C, or Copy 2 Clipboard that claims to let you do this.

(httpdavide-ficano.sourceforge.netcopy2clip if you are interested)

However, there is no way, as far as I can tell, to print just the names. Instead you have to get a whole bunch of info i dont want + the name I want

I dont want: "Partitionname\Foldername\subfoldername\filename\counter\date"

All I want is: filename

I don't think C2C can do it, but on the other hand, there has got to be a way!

2. Vietnam Vet

Vietnam Vet Registered Member

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

My tried and true way for many years is using a command prompt:

--------------------------
    dir /o:n /b >fileslist.txt

dir is the command to display a list of the files in the directory

The /o:n switch sorts by name alphabetically

The /b switch makes a list of filenames w/o path, etc:

http://www.rsjones.net/img/fileslist_1.gif

The syntax ">fileslist.txt " copies the DOS screen to a text file.

http://www.rsjones.net/img/fileslist_2.gif

Just open and print

http://www.rsjones.net/img/fileslist_3.gif

You can also print the filelist from the Command Prompt:

---------------------------
    start notepad /p fileslist.txt

If you do this often, you can make a batch file that does all of this automatically.
    If you install the MS Power Toy, "DOShere Here" you can right-click on any directory
    in Windows Explorer and open to a Command prompt and run the batch file:

dir /o:n /b >fileslist.txt

start notepad /p fileslist.txt

Another option is to put the command to run the batch file on the
    right-click context menu. This requires a registry entry, which you can do
    manually - you just add a new key to the Shell sub Key in the main Directory Key:

http://www.rsjones.net/img/fileslist_4.gif

or merge the following .reg file.

Change the batch filename and path accordingly:

----------------------------------------------
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\PrintFileList]
    @="PrintFileList"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\PrintFileList\Command]
    @="F:\\Util\\Bat\\printfile.bat"
    -------------------------------------------------

Then, just r-click on any directory in Windows Explorer and click
    on your batch file.

While there are some programs you can install that do this,
    I like to work "in house" where possible!

regards,

-rich

Last edited: Nov 23, 2005
  4. HandsOff

Wow! there are two more apps for this and a way to do it from the command prompt! Things are looking up.

I do agree that there is alot to be said for using the built in features of a computer. Plus that ability will be present on any machine you are at. However, the thing that makes it bad is that I don't like navigation with out a mouse. If the programs make it easier, I'll probably go that route. I like to make my computer work!

- HandsOff

5. Notok

Notok Registered Member

You can also get the Microsoft Windows Support Tools and run vfi.exe (Visual File Information). It will let you display the files in any arbitrary directory (or disk, for that matter), let you choose exactly what you want to see (choose columns), sort by whatever you want, then you can save it as either a text file or spreadsheet, which you can then do whatever you like with, including print.

It's also just a great tool to have around, as you can see tons of info and sort by any of it.. want to see what you installed last? List all the files on the drive and sort by 'last accessed'. There's all sorts of great stuff in the Support Tools. ;)

6. HandsOff

Hold on a second Rich!

Those screen shots of the command mode look better than mine does in real life.

Is that Fireworks?

Unusual custom fonts?

Funny blue explorer screen?

...You must be...A GRAPHICS GURU!

How did you get those screenshots so clear? Those letters are beyond sharp. I never seen anything like it.

- HandsOff

---------------------------------------------------------
    I wrote that before I saw your revision with the regedit merge. And Notoks solution is powerful tool
    this changes everything!

Anyways, I wouldn't be surprised if one or both of you know how to customize favicons (url icons). not on the website, but me as the computer user asigning my own icons. apparantly it can be done. I'm sick of looking at those default blank piece of paper looking things. I guess I should post it as a separate post, but, heck, I've got a graphics guru right here!

7. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

I chose Lucida Console 20pt from the list under Default Properties - it's very clear on my screen.

I use a light blue Windows, Menu, and Desktop background color - less glare on my eyes.

Nothing fancy - just capture the screen with the PrintScrn key, paste into Photoshop, crop, and save as .gif (for small file size)

regards,

-rich

8. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

10. HandsOff

Ask and you shall receive!

These latest issues fall under the heading of "things that the operating system should do, but since it doesn't i just gave up and did without" catagory.

I don't really like messing around with installations and modifications, but the satisfaction when I can finally do something like this is immense!

- HandsOff

P.S. - You mean you have a choice of what font is used in the command mode? I wonder what the default is. Mine all look like they are chubby kids wearing striped t-shirts :mad:

11. HandsOff

I'm replying to myself just to post an update:

Karens Directory Printer said that it needed Visual Basic Runtime 6.0 to run and install the program. I ignored this because xp doesnt need it (I thought).

Upon running the program I get "subscript out of bounds error"
    I am curious if you know if the runtime really is needed.

I am closer to going with application free method!

- HandsOff!

12. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Yes, it's needed, which is why I didn't dl the program - I was going to try it out, but didn't want to wait for the other dl.

regards,

-rich

13. Vietnam Vet

Hi,

As rich noted, the runtime does need to be installed first.

From http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp
    I actually have quite a few of Karen's tools installed, including Directory Printer. Only got interested in computers a few years ago, but must confess that I don't do much with this computer anymore, except visit here and a few other forums. Provided the link just in case it fit the bill for your needs.

VV

14. 00001

00001 Guest

15. HandsOff

Well, live and learn! I should have just downloaded it, but if I have any question, I am compelled to try it and see...not always such a good idea, in this case just wastes a little time...i could have sworn it was built in, but it must have just been part of an application that I no longer use.

QUESTION: Where is it that you change "Default settings" and can set it to Lucida Sans 20, or presumably something else to? Maybe I should do the same thing. My original reason for wanting to save explorer lists was to go through the list of fonts. so this fits right in with the whole font issue!

- HandsOff!

16. HandsOff

VV- Do you mean to say you don't use your computer that much, or that particular one? I wonder...I used to think that, and then had to do without if for three or four days. It was awful. If you mean don't use it much for any reason that other people would understand, forget them! I guess it's possible some people go for days and weeks not using a computer. I guess.

HandsOff

17. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

Bring up the System Menu (ALT+SPACE) and click on "Properties"

http://www.rsjones.net/img/cmd_1.gif

The font tab shows your options

http://www.rsjones.net/img/cmd_2.gif

While you are there, in the Layout Tab you can specify a screen buffer size height which allows you to scroll the window - very handy if you have a long list of items, for instance, a directory list, or viewing the help file of a command.

When you click "OK" at the bottom, an "Apply Properties" box displays. You can select "For current window only" to see what the settings look like. When you've decided on a setting, select "For future windows" and the setting is stored in the shortcut icon you use to launch cmd.exe

http://www.rsjones.net/img/cmd_3.gif

regards,

-rich

Last edited: Nov 26, 2005
  18. Vietnam Vet

I meant that I don't use my computer for much of anything at all, anymore.;) It was just a toy for me, personally. About the only thing that interests me anymore, is keeping up with the malware side of things. Not because I need it, but some friends and family seem to be magnets for trouble!:rolleyes: Waste of breath to try to explain why this or that happens, because they don't care anyway.:doubt: Getting a little tired of that attitude, too. Think I'll go back to playing Nintendo.:D

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Been there! Would you like to borrow my carpal tunnel brace? :D

20. Vietnam Vet

:D ;)

21. HandsOff

Hey Rich,

Thanks for that information. Thats the sort of thing that I could go for years and years overlooking. Wait a minute, I did! Just recently I joined a graphics oriented forum in order to get some help on fonts. It's interesting because they know graphics related programs like masters, but, I am beginning to suspect that some of them know even less about windows than I do!

VV- You are in the same boat as I am. True story, I had to download some applications from my computer, AV, anti-spy, ect... because my friends computer could not connect any more. There were over two hundred viruses and trojans on the machine. Then a couple months later he told me it was down again. He kept begging me to help but I just glared at him. Finally, after a couple weeks I relented. I took one look at the leds and saw right away the problem. His cable was damaged! For the first time I was relieved when I found at least 6 trojans on the computer, and that the AV had not been updated since I left it a couple months before. Just a tinge of guilt remains!

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.