I want to install a new OS on separate HD...but how?

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by thomas33, Mar 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thomas33

thomas33 Registered Member

I have two hard drives. One is my main system.
    The second is a brand new 160Gb drive that I installed today as a Secondary Master. It's a blank disk ready to go.

I run Windows 2000 Pro on the main disk, and I want to install Windows 2000 Server on that new 160Gb, with OS Selector giving me a choice of which one I want at boot..

But how to do it? I'm getting NO LOVE from the User Guide. Can someone please spell it out for me?

For instance......must I unplug the main disk, and switch IDE cables to make the new 160Gb the Primary Master, then install Windows 2000 Server as usual...then re-plug everything back to normal and run OS Detector? And it will give me the option to boot that Windows 2000 Server off the Secondary disk? And do I have to hide these disks from each other (I'm hoping not). Or could this whole procedure be done without messing around with the cables again.

Yeah, some clear guidance here would be wonderful.

Thanks....

2. thomas33

thomas33 Registered Member

well, I followed my own instructions above. And after installing 2000 server on the new disk, I re-attached everything back to normal and ran OS Detector and sure enough it detected it and added to OS Selector main menu. Cool! I've successfully booted back and forth a few times now. Loving it.

Now if only the acronis boot loader wasn't so brutally slow.

3. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello thomas33,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Partition and Disk Managing Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

Actually, it is not necessary to unplug the hard drive which was already installed to your computer in order to install the second operating system onto the second hard drive. You will be able to choose where to install Windows 2000 Server operating system once the installation process of it has been started.

You do not need to hide the hard drive which contain one operating system from the second. It depends on your own wishes.

I'm glad to hear that you have already performed what you were interested in.

If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Kirill Omelchenko

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.