I want to disable cookie use in Firefox but I can't access one site without them.

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by cheater87, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I have the Firefox extension CS lite and I can't figure out how to allow the site to load without cookies even though I allowed that site to allow its cookie. Maybe its a third party cookie I'm missing. What can I do?

2. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

Hi cheater87,

If you install the Firefox add-on, Stealther, and from the Tools menu (after rebooting FF), check it to be on (active), no cookies, history, etc. will be recorded and the site should load - unless either you have a preference prohibiting cookies in FF, or NoScript is using secure cookies in Advanced (just a guess) and the website does not support https.

I have the following checked:
    Accept cookies from sites
    Accept third-party cookies
    Keep until they expire <--- You could change this to "I close Firefox"

I suspect that most websites won't load until a cookie is accepted, but cookies by and large are fairly beneign these days. If you clear all of your cookies, and then start using Stealther, no cookies will be recorded (i.e. susceptable to poking for information from other cookies). I think this means that Stealther has some way of using cookies to get the webpages to load, but in an unconventional way, and then perhaps (by default) only while you are visiting a website (have an active connection to it).

You can create a brand new FF profile with no add-ons, bookmarks, cookies, etc. from which to start, and initially add useful add-ons, etc. before using Stealther.

Add the FF add-on BetterPrivacy if you are concerned about SuperCookies, and also, I would add CustomizeGoogle and chekc the Privacy boxes (at the very least).

-- Tom

3. arran

arran Registered Member

not true. websites do load without cookies. you only need cookies on when you are logging into websites with a user and pass etc.

Cookie safe is better, it is a lot more configurable. you can completely block all global cookies and make up a white list of sites which allows cookies. you only really need cookies from web sites that you log into. cookie safe is the only firefox add on that I know which enables you to do this. you can also set it so as when you exit firefox your whitelist cookies are deleted.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

Sorry I can't see the difference between cookie safe and CS lite.
    with CSlite I have Deny Cookies Globally and the I allow the ones I want. How is Cookie safe different ?

5. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

What is the web site?

6. faterider

faterider Registered Member

Cookie Monster too. Don't remember why switched from Cookie safe - may be late update for the new version of FF or some other minor problem. It works the same and no problems at all.

cheater87 You need to explain better. What exactly you can't do? You have Cookie Save Lite and want to allow site to load without cookies even though you enabled them? The site can't even load in the browser? If this is the issue it is not connected to cookies imho.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2009
  7. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Well the OP has not specified the site in question. That would definitely help.

That said there is one site that does indeed have problems with cookies and Firefox; www.gmx.com. I use CookieSafe. You can have every cookie address the site creates listed in the exception list it does not matter if the cookie is session or allow, the site will always inform you to "Please enable cookies". There is only one way to get the site to work, Allow Cookies Globally.

This is a known problem by gmx.com and is discussed in their forums; however, there is apparently little interest in fixing this problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.