I want my Avira back.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, May 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Ok. I have mine set to every four hours and don't often find new updates by checking manually in between. In fact a lot of the slideups say I already have maximum protection. But thats been the luck of the draw for me.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Decided to take my own advice ( for the time being at least ) and reset update checking to the default 2 hours. It won't hurt any to do it.

3. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I just did the same. Reverted from every hour to every two hours. ;)

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

If indeed they are entertaining the implimentation of a Behavior Blocker then this could deserve some serious attention as Emsisoft carries the lone Torch in the BB department and industry as i see it.

Always preferred Avira myself by virtue of it's reasonably accurate detections as well as lite-ness when performing any of it's normal duties.

5. jmorlan

jmorlan Registered Member

Because my ESET NOD32 was complaining that my subscription was about to expire and because NOD32 had lost its AV-Test certification, I replaced it with Avira Free. I have tamed it a bit and have it set to update every 4 hours. I remain very unhappy about the ask.com toolbar (supposedly optional, but not really). Am using a work-around to deal with that.

6. gdiloren

gdiloren Registered Member

To me, the ask toolbar with AVIRA FREE being malware is an urban legend and a myth. This is untrue and well documented on their forum, Avira having been a watchdog and partner in the development of the Ask toolbar in their software. So, the asktoolbar is a lame excuse. I'm enjoying AVIRA FREE since a year now without any problem! Be reassured!!!

7. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Lately i think Antivir is slowing down pc, i tried avg seems faster weird.

8. gdiloren

gdiloren Registered Member

Non-sense!!! My PC is as fast as when I used other AVs like Avast Pro or Panda Cloud. Look at your DNS.:D
    P.S.: Well, actually, the scanning time if you set RP may differ but I would be anxious if it's too fast! Does it scan properly my system in the backgroundo_O

9. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

Not scanning overall tasks.

10. Stefan Kurtzhals

Stefan Kurtzhals AV Expert

What do you think is slowed down? Surfing, file access, boot up time?

11. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I get your point, but was puzzled by your signature. I am intrigued:

a) Why would Chuck Norris use a whitelist as an inverted blacklist, he only needs to known the hashes of the software he is using (allow) and deny the rest (when he would be using his computer), so why need an AV?

b) Chuck is doing the math by hand (deviding by zero does not result in infinity on a computer, but a dump or "cannot devide by zero" message), since he is obviously not using his computer, why need an AV?

Possibly you have inside info concerning Chucks mental state. What AV will protect him from brain damage caused by malicious thoughts? Please elaborate.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  12. jmorlan

I read that starting this month (September 2012) the free version will no longer include either the ask.com toolbar or the web protection option. Can anybody confirm?

Also does anybody know when the 2009 free version will stop updating definitions?

13. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

id rather have the all the ads gone.

14. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Where did you read this?
    Not sure about definitions but, as per Avira forum, I know they have started the regular upgrading of versions 8/9 to 2012. There's no further details atm.

15. King Grub

King Grub Registered Member

The web protection has already been modified in the free version. It no longer receives webcat.dat updates and does not block malicious websites any more. It still scans the http-traffic and blocks malware recognized by the signatures, but the website filter has been removed.

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Thanksd for the clarification KG.:thumb:

17. jmorlan

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avira under "Ask.com toolbar controversy"

18. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

I remember when nod32 2.7 had awesome heuristic and was praised by all, I remember when Avira was light and had awesome heuristics and detections too, time goes, things changes, Avira and ESET stopped in time and turned in some wrong directions, time to move, I'm with KIS 2013 now.

19. jmorlan

As a former KIS user, they lost me with the iSwift fiasco. I'm not going back.

20. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

The iswift fiasco.?
    Would you care to elaborate please on this.
    Im using kaspersky at the moment.
    Regards.:thumb:

21. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

First version of iSwift added ZoneIdentifier tags to files done via NTFS Alternate data streams which caused some paranoid users to freak out as they believed this modifies file integrity and causes sporadic chkdsk runs on system boot (which was never tied to iSwift in the first place AFAIK). Alas, I don't know what was the cause exactly since my memory fails me, but there was a lot of conjecture.
    Since then the way iSwift works has changed (not because of the above) and there aren't "issues" like that anymore.

22. fax

fax Registered Member

Correct, the scanning "cache" was re-designed to avoid issues with some systems a long time ago, nothing to worry about now. Of course, users can decide to leave KAV for whatever reason but this should not be one of them. At least not now, product evolves and innovate, users should do that too :D :thumb:

23. jmorlan

Do I google search on "You lost me at iSwift."

Yes, iSwift used alternate data streams in way that was never intended by Microsoft and which caused chkdsk to slow to a crawl or even fail on most systems. The claim that it is no longer an issue because KAV uses a different system now, is not exactly true.

iSwift made permanent changes to the file system which could not be undone even after a complete KAV uninstall. Anybody who ran those versions of KAV still has those fingerprints all over their file system, unless they have reinstalled Windows or taken other drastic action such as formatting. KAV never supplied a removal tool for the leftover ADS's despite many requests.

Kaspersky mishandled the situation by dissembling and denial. They claimed iSwift was proprietary and would not reveal anything about it. It took a lot of sleuthing on the part of many of us to figure out why KAV was causing chkdsk to slow down and/or fail.

We were not being paranoid. but that was the response of KAV to the complaints. They blamed the users instead of admitting their mistake and fixing it. And to this day, many people still believe it was no big deal and accuse us of being paranoid.

But it wasn't all about iSwift, it was ultimately about trust. I need to trust my AV vendor, and KAV squandered it and continues to squander it by not owning up to the truth.

24. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

Sorry, I'm not going to restart the Mele20 "hate iSwift cho-cho train" again, this is an Avira thread after all.
    I've stopped reading here. ;)

If we're basing this on vendor trust (I guess that's on topic somewhat) then what you've stated above is equivalent of users who don't want to try Norton 2009 and later because they had bad experience with them 5yrs ago- that's your choice, but you're basing the choice on erroneous conclusions.

25. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

ok, thanks for the info.
    I never used the free version, I always wanted to support Avira by either getting their Premium or Suite versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.