I unistalled Zonealarm to reinstall it, but the Truevector wont shutdown to reinstal

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by excessumcarcer, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. excessumcarcer

excessumcarcer Registered Member

I need to know how to shutdown the truevector because I cant install a new zonealram until it is shut off. But, I dont know how. Its not in the taskmanager. So how do i do so?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Re: I unistalled Zonealarm to reinstall it, but the Truevector wont shutdown to reins

When you uninstalled, did you follow the instructions to the letter? I don't have them any more since I uninstalled. First you have to go to the ZoneAlarm forum and address your question to a Guru named Slyfox. Ask for the instructions to uninstall/re-install that he made up. Since you have already uninstalled the wrong way and still have truevector working, you should tell him what you've done so he can help you. The more you do on your own the deeper in trouble you could get. ZA is in quite a few places.

4. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Right! Enough of this Nonsense, its way to complicated for some people. Simple easy solution is reboot your computer in safe mode, If you dont know how to do this, simply reboot and press F8 repeatedly untill your screen has the start in safe mode option. chooose safe mode, and wait till your desktop loads follow the on screen prompts and click yes to each. Then Go to your program folders, and delete the ZoneLabs folder. Next go to Start/Run and type regedit, and click on the + next to the folder HKEY_CURRENT_USER scroll down and look for software folder,click the + and look for zone labs, right click on it and delete. Next click on the + next to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE again lok for software folder and again delete zone labs. Now go back to the programs folder, and scroll down to the WINDOWS folder, and click on the + and scroll down to system32. scroll down in the left colum till you see zone labs folder, and delete it. Now reboot your computer.

OK! It's uninstalled and has shut down hasnt it :D How easy was that ;)

Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  5. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

Re: I unistalled Zonealarm to reinstall it, but the Truevector wont shutdown to reins

I don't recommend you do that. There are better ways to uninstall ZA than brute-force delete. Remember that security softwares do integrate with Windows to provide protection and a brute-force delete is not recommended as that may case problems with Windows. The ZL forums exists for the purpose of helping people with such problems by providing solutions that don't mess up the rest of your PC. Please refrain from suggesting such solutions in the future.

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Or if the preceding by DVD+R is not used you can go to the ZoneAlarm web site and navigate to the company's uninstall instructions which are slightly different from the instructions from Slyfox mentioned earlier.

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

OK! unhappy viewer, Firstly if it wasnt safe to do so, I wouldnt have bothered to post detailed descriptions on how to do it in the first place, Secondly, sometimes its your only option, Vendors help sometimes doesnt work. So please dont sugest that I'm trying to screw up someones pc, I'm here to help just like everyone else ok :isay:

On a quick note: I've done this option 100's of times before, and had no problems at all

8. unhappy_viewer

unhappy_viewer Registered Member

ZL's uninstall instructions are pretty much tested. In the very unlikely event it does not work, senior contributors and Gurus on the ZL forum have other ways which we know are safe. SlyFox which twl845 has a list of steps that works well too.

If your method of uninstallation works for you then keep it to yourself, but brute force-delete is never a recommended method to uninstall any software especially security softwares. If thats the case, nobody would see the need to build uninstallers.

9. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I had ZAP for 5 years I never had any problems shutting down truevector to upgrade.

10. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

If you have ZA (free or pro), you cannot switch to another firewall unless and until you totally purge TrueVector from your system, as it will not allow you to install the other firewall.

-- Tom

11. orthocross2006

orthocross2006 Registered Member

West of the Mississippi, toward the Coast
    I've always just
    1) Turn off all "Start with Windows" options, BEFORE you uninstall.
    2) Exit ZA.
    3) Reboot.
    4) Manually run ZA exectutable with the option "/uninstall".
    5) Reboot.

All of Zone Alarm should be gone after this, including the True Vector service.
    ;)

12. orthocross2006

orthocross2006 Registered Member

West of the Mississippi, toward the Coast
    Just so you will know in the future, the "brute force" method, while APPEARING to work, does NOT, since many ZoneLabs and other Registry keys are left after doing it. Many are not labeled with the "ZoneLabs" label, and will be missed.

Just follow the directions which DO work, ok, and stop trying to justify your lack of knowledge.
    Just admit you don't know what you're doing, and you will get all the help you need.

:cautious:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.