I tried to adapt to Windows 8 but I can't!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

Since I got a cheap key from Microsoft, I decided to try Windows 8 and hated it then uninstalled it within 1 hour.

After reading some posts here about the increased performance / boot times / security, I decided to give it another run.

2 things made me take it off again

1) no drivers for my printer for Windows 8 and it doesn't find them through Automatic Updates. HP is to blame here but still... no good for me. My printer: HP Photosmart CN255C

2) Every now and then, all my icons will lose their image and they would appear as blank white icons, I would then have to rebuild my icon cash and reboot, but still, a few more mins and the problem is back. I reserched online and many people seem to have this problem. To me, this is just sad from a new OS

Back to the trusty Win 7 for good this time

2. encus

encus Registered Member

Sorry to hear that, mate.

Anyway, one thing I like about W8 is its super fast startup.

Cheers.

3. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Stories like this are what keeps me from trying Windows 8. I can get the cheap key also, due to a recent laptop purchase. Windows 7 works too well right now, why take a chance if you're happy with what you've got. Look how many people still refuse to part with Win XP...

4. d0t

d0t Registered Member

My startup time is still the same :(

5. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Don't let stories stop you. Run a full backup and give it a shot. It may take a little work to get it settled in depending on what drivers you need but overall I am keeping it.

7 definitely booted faster for me though. Other than that it is fine, and it doesn't boot that much slower (for me).

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I have done an upgrade install from windows 7 to 8 on two machines and haven't had any issues. all hardware works fine including my hp printer.

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Try the Vista/7 drivers for your printer. As for the icons - are you using some program like CCleaner or a registry cleaner?

8. ambient_88

ambient_88 Registered Member

Initially, I experienced the same thing. But after configuring the "Hybrid Boot," Windows 8 definitely starts up a lot faster than Windows 7 (from a cold start).

9. berryracer

Tried the 7 drivers, don't work. They install fine, but then I get an exclamation mark on the printer

Yes I did use CCleaner, could it be the culprit? hmm

10. philby

philby Registered Member

11. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

I would say CCleaner is probably the issue, yes. Especially if you're using the registry function or cleaning out anything having to do with the icons, which it does.

12. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Did you try to download and install the HP Printer Install Wizard for Windows 8?

13. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

berryracer, if you hook your printer up without installing the HP software, does the pc try to install the printer, and fail? I had a similar problem with my HP printer and Win 7. Kept trying to install the HP software, which would install, but it showed the exclamation point like yours did. The key was to have no HP software installed, let windows do its thing, then install the HP software after the Win install. Worked like a charm.

14. berryracer

thats what i do to fix the issue but then it would just come back randomly

15. berryracer

yes dawg, I first tried to see if Windows 8 would install the driver automatically, it tried to install but it failed. Then i installed the windows 7 drivers, they installed find but I got the exclamation mark

16. berryracer

never knew that tool even existed thanks a lot for the link. I wont be touching windows 8 anytime soon though, but will keep this link for the future

17. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

BR sorry about your 8 experience. I will have to learn 8 eventually to help friends & paying customers. On every w7 comp I work on I turn off UAC & install Classic Shell. Also I switch folders to open with single click on 7 & XP.

I'm looking for a short list of common annoyances & fixes on 8. That way I can concentrate on fixing/maintenance instead. I've heard Classic Shell works on 8. Can anyone provide such a list? Thanks.

Ok another thing. I get shouted down when I say CCleaner only deserves half it's name. Well every once in a while weird problems happen (icons here). Quite a lot I find on these computers the only 3rd party program is CC.

18. jna99

jna99 Registered Member

I still have windows 7 myself, but seems some rumors going around about the color blue and windows....
    Maybe you can try again somewhere in 2013. Windows "blue" might be something. but you have to search the net to get some idea about what it is. seems like a interim version of the next windows or a feature expansion for current windows 8.
    Microsoft should have made the "metro" or tile/tablet UI optional when setting up windows 8. "Do you want tablet touch screen UI or good old desktop with startbutton ?"... "make your choice please..... thank you, have a nice day !"

I mean that would have made so many people so much happier, well in my opinion at least. just make it an option. why force the tiles ?

ehm, sorry if I offend someone about using tiles UI on a desktop computer. Maybe I will get used to it eventually, but I rather have a windows 7 desktop only environment. For me that is the main reason I don't want to use windows 8. the tiles, its the tiles.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2012
  19. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Gotta think MS is to push an update or service pack to let users choose the DE.

20. Notok

Notok Registered Member

It doesn't take too long to get used to; especially when you customize the start screen a bit. It lets you put all the stuff you use in one place without having to sort through all the other shortcuts that programs tend to install.

I think that reviewers mistakenly referring to it as a new desktop has made things more confusing. It's really just a new start screen. Think of it like a start menu with the desktop widgets on it. Windows doesn't "boot to" a new "desktop," it just opens the start menu on boot.

I got a copy of Start8 with Object Desktop, but decided to force myself to get used to the new UI first, so that I would know my way around it (for my work, among other things). I was surprised to find that I no longer felt the need to change it after a day or two, and am looking forward to more useful live tiles and apps to dock to the side of the desktop. I'm also looking forward to seeing what Windows Blue will bring.

The live tiles will certainly get a lot better once developers start making new apps; just like Android with its widgets. I think that it's a safe bet that there will eventually be a good number of apps, and sooner than later. I think it also becomes a little more exciting when you start focusing on the apps and what people could make, rather than the panel itself; think AppContainer :)

It's easy to think of the tiles as useless when it's a default set of basic stuff, but there's sure to be plenty of stuff that you will like made by other people; it will be easier, so more developers will be able to make them. I also seem to remember similar arguments about the XP start menu until they used it enough to start becoming useful (the auto-populating list of recently used apps, pinned icons, etc.).

It's always a pain to have to re-learn how to use your computer, but the old stuff is still there and there's plenty of new stuff to make things better in the end.

21. encus

encus Registered Member

Do Disk Cleanup then Defrag your HDD.

Good luck.

22. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

One of my clients had the same problem with an Epson Inject Printer...

23. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I think that before anyone upgrades to the latest OS, they should leave it alone for up to a year so Microsoft can clean up the bugs with updates or a sp.
    This way you can continue to read posts like this and get to know the system before you actually decide whether to get it. Microsoft likes to release software that's still green and let the customers find the bugs. ;)

24. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

That's exactly what my brother says, & he is a software engineer. I believe him.

25. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Problem with waiting is people want shiney new hardware.

And W8 is on most of new pcs in bb, staples, om, od etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.