i think spbot search & disroy is messing up spyware blaster

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by kissbaby, Sep 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kissbaby

kissbaby Registered Member

todays date is 9-3-2008
    time 7:32am
    --------

OK,,,before i begin,,here are my stats.

dell dimension 2400
    windows xp home sp3

avast antivirus free
    spybot search and distroy
    spware blaster.

ad-aware

i always keep my windows updated.
    the listed protection is the most recent version.
    they are always updated.

some how i think maybe or maybe not spybot search and distroy is interfering with enabling protection against this one cookie in spware blaster,,so i think.

it wont enable protection against:
    cool websearch (1630) /5starvideo.com

when i click enable all protection it seems to do just that.
    but when i go to re-open spyware blaster that one "restricted site" item shows up not blocked in the list.

i just noticed this today when i updated.

i just downloaded cw shredder,,,it found nothing,,,so I'm clean there.

anyone else having this problem?.

any ideas how to fix this ?.

2. ski123

ski123 Registered Member

Hi kissbaby,

I don't know. Maybe!

Yes!
    1. Dump Spybot S&D!
    2. Keep your antivirus updated and do regular scans!
    3. Keep SpywareBlaster updated and All Protection Enabled!

Regards,
    ski123

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Yes, I noticed that too. And not long ago, another item on the block list had protection disabled... XTROcash (2) xtrocash.host.sk. Like you, I attribute this disabling to Spybot updates. It's nothing new, really. In fact, whenever I update Spybot, I right away check SpywareBlaster to make sure none of the protections have been disabled. As far as I know, there is no way to fix this other than to uninstall Spybot (I don't wish to do that), or make it a point to check after updating Spybot.

4. kissbaby

kissbaby Registered Member

people in the spybot search and distroy forum have now noticed the same thing as me ,,,as soon as i posted my thread there.

,,i posted a thread there too.
    check it out.
    no i'm not dumping spybot,,,, the two sites just need to notify each other is all.

they do work well together if the makers of these products would drop each other a line or two once in awhile.

http://forums.spybot.info/showthread.php?p=230964#post230964

5. DougCuk

DougCuk Registered Member

We have an official response on the Spybot Forum re this issue:
    http://forums.spybot.info/showpost.php?p=233556&postcount=2

To summarise the response says:
    We have removed the domain (5starvidios.com) because it is dead.
    The domain is set to undo because it does not make any sense to block a dead domain.

So Team Spybot are saying it is SpywareBlaster that is out of date and needs to remove the restricted sites entry for Coolwebsearch (1630) 5starvidios.com - this will restore compatibility.

6. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Hi everyone,

A database update has just been released for SpywareBlaster ( 9/12/08 ), which removes the now dead domain.

Please update SpywareBlaster, and then enable all protection. SpywareBlaster should no longer show "1 item has protection disabled" under Restricted Sites.

There were two primary triggers here:

1.) A particular domain is now offline (not just pretending to be, as is often the case with malicious/unwanted domains), and thus protection against it is no longer needed. Thanks to your reports, the latest update for SpywareBlaster takes care of this appropriately. Thus it no longer shows "protection disabled" for the item Spybot was removing. :)

2.) Spybot seems to repeatedly remove protection for items no longer in its database when you Immunize (much like older versions of SpywareDoctor used to do, before they fixed this behavior). As was the case with SpywareDoctor, this is unnecessary (if Spybot isn't re-adding that particular entry, it only needs to remove it once), and can interfere with a user's choice to re-add it themselves later (either manually or with another program). Luckily, this should be an easy thing to tweak on Spybot's part, and I'll see what I can do about getting in contact with PepiMK to see if he can add it to the to-do list for a future Spybot version.

Best regards,

-Javacool

7. patflgn

patflgn Registered Member

8. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

9. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I used Spybot for a while. However since I upgraded from Spybot 1.6.0 to 1.6.2. it has given me problems ever since. I got a pop-up interface every time I upgraded anything with an allow/deny button. It would not pop-off whatever I pressed on it & often wouldn't let my computer shut down without a lot of hassle. I tried to remove Spybot but even that proved problematical. The Spybot files in the C drive just wouldn't let me delete them at first. o_O :mad:

Eventually I removed Spybot completely from my computer. (I hope)

Considering it missed a trojan that SUPERAntiSpyware found & removed a few months ago, I have not thought that it (Spybot) was really on the ball anymore. I will miss the immunizer of course. But there again; I have SpywareBlaster! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.