I think I have discovered a virus on my pc that NOD32 doesn't detect.

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by Power_Surge, Jan 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Power_Surge

Power_Surge Registered Member

After about a week of experimenting I'm pretty sure that the file corrupted by that virus is inside an application folder. Unfortunately the folder is over 500 megs. What should I do and who should I contact?

2. kuba

kuba Registered Member

My guess would be, send/make a log of the scan (if that's how you think) to ESET and get help from them.
    Or maybe an ESET Moderator will come here and tell you what to do.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  3. Power_Surge

Nod32 doesn't detect it so there is no point in sending a scan log. I can describe how this virus works though - tok me a few sleepless nights to figure it out. :cool:

4. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If your system is actually infected with a virus, it must have infected also smaller system files. There would be no sense if a virus infected only one 500 MB which, I doubt, is actually an executable file. Send one or two smaller infected files to samples[at]eset.com with a link to this thread.

5. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

You sure its not just a conflict between apps you've got installed or even a fault with your PC rather than a "virus nod doesn't detect" I suppose one of the easiest ways to confirm if its a virus or not is to uninstall nod and run the trial of kav:-if nod AND kav(the two best av's)don't detect anything I very much doubt your PC is infected

6. Power_Surge

Ok, I better describe what's happening. It all started when I played games like World o Warcraft or The Movies. Sometimes my hard-disk would make that buzzing/beeping sound and starts reading. When this happens the game freezed for a few seconds than went back to normal. As the time pased it even started happening every 5 - 10 seconds! I checked for viruses and spyware, RAM and hard-disk and everything else I could and found nothing.

Few days ago I installed Psyconoauts Demo to see if it would run. To my surprise it ran just fine - not buzzes/freezes at all. I thought maybe it's less image intensive or something. So I switched my pc off and went to bed. In the morning when I switched my pc on and tried to play the demo installed on my pc, to my surprise it was buzzing/freezing like crazy. I uninstalled the demo, did another install and made copy on install directory (that's the one over 500 megs), to another place on my hard disk. Played it - works fine, restarted pc - buzzing/freezing, replaced the install directory with clean copy - works fine again. And also I don't actually have to play the game for it to get corrupted - it gets corrupted when I install and restart.

Also I have noticed that if I get enough of those buzzes/freezes my hard disk access slows down - when I burn a DVD+R I can't get the speed over 2.2x and when i copy 200 meg file from one place on hard-disk to anothe it takes about 2 - 3 minutes (normaly it takes 20 - 30 second).

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'd say it could be a hdd failure.

8. Power_Surge

I checked my hard disk for errors few times - found nothing.

9. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Does sound like a mechanical problem with your hard drive

10. Power_Surge

If it's the problem with my hard-disk - I'll go and buy a new one. I just want to be sure before I do. There are 5-page topics on WoW boards from people with similar problem...

11. beetlejuice69

beetlejuice69 Registered Member

Sounds like a HD or video card problem, not Nod.

12. Power_Surge

As I said before I checked my hard-disk few times and it came out fine. And if it is a video card problem how come replacing the install directory with a fresh copy fixes it?

Here's a WoW topic about similar problem:

Click me

13. pc-support

pc-support Registered Member

Agree with eveyone else here.
    It sounds as if you have an impending hard drive failure problem. There are no viruses that will make your hard drive sound like that...

And the game problems - try changing your grapics card to a non-nvidia and see what that does.

14. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Go to Control Panel --> Administrative Tools --> Event Viewer. Take a look at the Application Log and System Log, looking for messages that correspond to the times these errors happen.

When you have checked your hard drive for errors, have you chosen the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" option?

By the way, I have seen bad IDE cables cause problems that look like bad hard drives. You may try swapping IDE cables to see if that makes any difference.

15. Power_Surge

I'm sorry, but I think I confused you by using word "buzzing". The sound is more like eeee that hard disk makes when it powers up (when you turn on pc) or powers down. My bad... I can't record it because it is too soft for my mp3 player to catch.

I mean the sound is not that unusual - I have heard it ever since I bought the pc every time I turn my pc on/off. It's the quantity of it that alarms me - every few seconds.

16. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Run the Kaspersky web scanner to do a deep check of your system.

Check cables -- master / slave settings on your internal drives (HDD / ODD).

Use the test tools from the manufacturer of your HDD drives to test for failures (be aware some of the test can be data destructive).

(Re)install the latest driversets for your mobo.

17. alglove

alglove Registered Member

That is actually the sound I had in mind. I have never seen software cause that sound (unless the software supposed to put the hard drive into sleep mode), but I have seen bad hard drives and bad cables cause that sound.

18. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

That is a LOT of people with the same symptoms.
    Any further word from the WoW developers...?
    Don't bother running out for a new hard disk just yet....:D
    I assume your using XP - have you run an intensive chkdsk anyhowo_O
    I do notice somebody got it fixed...If it is a virus it attacks PC's running Wow with nVidia video cards....interesitng:rolleyes:
    Wolfangel at post #40 also managed to get things going again by using a non nVidia driver for their nVidia card.
    A couple of choices - HTH - have fun :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2006
  19. Power_Surge

Bought new harddisk and installed windows anew. Worked fine up untill today. When I tried playing Battlefield 2 it started doing that sound again. Any more suggestions?

20. Milken

Milken Registered Member

Dang man. . . sorry you did all that and it didn't work! Try a few other anti-virus programs like anti-vir or avg(make sure heuristic settings are on). Also checkout a program like Aida32 or something with diag and benchmarking. Hopefully this doesn't sound ridiculous, but maybe it's your fan and things are getting overheated.

21. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I'm sorry, did you read through the posts in the World of Warcraft forum you posted a link to?
    Did you try another video card, or other video card drivers?
    Did you see post #18 above? :)

22. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

I am curious how you came to the conclusion that A; this is a virus, and B; NOD missed it. From my reading through the thread you provided, this seems to be related to Nvidia cards(at least for the most part, only one user of an ATI card reports being affected and he is using nvidia drivers. Not one mention of NOD in the entire thread. One person mentions using Norton2005 with the same symptoms and another mentions that turning off thier AV doesn't affect the problem one way or another. It seems to me to be a programming problem with the game, possibly related to the WMF patch as the problem seems to have started around the time the patch was released. I am sorry that the game maker is not responding the to problem and I know how frustrating that can be, but no one else in that thread or this thread for that matter seem to agree that is a virus of some type. Seems to be a programming/hardware/patch problem to me.

23. Elwood

Elwood Registered Member

If it is related to the WMF vulnerability patch, you might try uninstalling it, reboot and install the unofficial patch from here:

WMF Patch by Paolo Monti

and see if WoW works better?

24. Power_Surge

I have PowerColor Radeon 9800 Pro video card and those things are more expensive than a hard disk.

25. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

OK, did you install the MS WMF patch? or was it installed? Did you try Elwood's suggestion? Uninstall it and try Eset's patch? If so any luck? Most people who responded are willing to help but none of us agree or see why it is you are saying NOD messed up your system by not detecting something. As a last resort you could possibly burn a CD or DVD with the massive folder giving you problems and mailing to Eset if you truly think NOD is the problem, but I still think it is a programming/hardware/patch problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.