I think I broke powershadow. Software loaded and survived reboot.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Horus37, Jun 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I have already downloaded the zip file with Powershadow 2.82 and the english translation files I just haven't tried to install it since I was unsure if I could still register it for free. Plus I am unsure about trying to install in Chinese and then apply the English files. Other than the possible MBR difference 2.6 works great here and I am hesitant to screw it up.

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

The hardest part for me was actually installing while answering the Chinese prompts. I just kept choosing the button on the left. Lol. The adding of the translation files was very easy. There was a read me included with it explaining what to do. I wish I could give you an answer about the registration :doubt: .

I personally couldn't use version 2.6, that is the only reason I tried 2.82. Hopefully somebody can confirm this, but if your running decent security software and using common sense, the chances of installing something malicious that would write to the MBR while using PS 2.6 is very slim. Again, somebody would have to confirm this because I'm not that familiar with the different types of malware.

edit: If you do decide to try, I think you have to uninstall 2.6 first.

3. Firebytes

Thanks for the info Innerpeace. I guess unless I can confirm that registration for free is still possible with 2.82 that I will stick with the 2.6 version. It runs on my system with no problems whatsoever. The only reason I was thinking of switching anyway was the MBR issue. LIke you said; I am hopeful that the odds of encountering malware that would screw with my MBR are low and that my other security would protect me anyway.

4. Firebytes

Innerpeace,

Out of curiosity, what was the reason you couldn't use version 2.6? Also, do you know why version 2.82 will reportedly not create a shortcut on the desktop? I read in one of the posts (don't remember which thread or post) that even creating a shortcut for yourself on the desktop wouldn't work without the whole folder the executable is in on the desktop.o_O

5. innerpeace

The first time I tried 2.6, after my session, I went to reboot and had problems. My machine had to run a checkdisk to fix things. This was the first major crash that I had after almost 2 years. I get quickly wary of programs that crash on me. It was probably some kind of conflict. Since there was another version, I tried it and it worked. I haven't used it much, but have had no problems.

I almost forgot about the shortcuts. I had to go back and read the installer read me and it said what you said. The shortcut on my desktop size is 694 bytes and size on disk is 4.00KB. In my start menu, I just created a folder with the name PowerShadow and in it placed a shortcut the the exe. I honestly have no idea why it doesn't create shortcuts. Just taking a guess as I think this program is used in a lot of Chinas' schools is to keep it hidden and running all the time. To keep the kids from changing the settings. This is just a wild guess though.

6. Firebytes

My father had tried to install 2.6 on his machine after I told him how great it ran on mine and it crashed his system (xp media center edition) upon reboot. He had to do a system restore to get right again. I doubt I could get him to try again with another version...in Chinese no less. :eek:

I suppose I will stick with 2.6 just hate the thought of having a version that will rotect the MBR out there and me not running it. LOL

Thanks again for the information Innerpeace. Have a good night.

7. innerpeace

No problem. I was lucky I guess, I didn't have to do a system restore. I probably have some things screwed up, but they haven't showed themselves yet. Its been a month though. My setup is in my sig except I was running Comodo instead of OA2 at the time. Everything was disabled when installing 2.6.

I haven't ran into to many people running 2.82 here at Wilders. My version does try call out after about 30 minutes, but I block it with my firewall. I have the updates unchecked also o_O. Before I installed it, I did scan the installer with all my scanners and uploaded it to VirusTotal and it was clean. It works here and I'm becoming more comfortable with it.

8. Horus37

Horus37 Registered Member

Peter you won't be able to download it as your computer will be scanned to make sure it's the correct one for the software. If it doesn't pass the test you won't be able to download it and there is no way to directly link to it. This is new as of 5 days ago I never saw this new validation system. People over at HP must be paying attention and instituted this new system so not just anybody can go over to their website and start downloading programs. A week ago you could but now you can't. I went online with yet another tech support person and they refused to supply me with a link. If you try to go on their website and pretend you have the correct hardware you have to submit to their software scan which is very thorough. If you don't have HP computer and have exactly the version and hardware that that the software calls for you'll be blocked from going further into their website.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Okay, fair enough. Anyway the lesson should be don't install any software in the shadow mode unless you know a reboot isn't required. For some types of installs, the only safety net is hopefully something like FDISR but most assuredly a full image.

pete

10. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I like to believe that PS is an excellent virtualization application, but two puzzles have been bothering me to this day: (1) why would PS be able to switch from normal mode to shadow mode w/o reboot ? (2) why in shadow mode, can any given partition,including hidden one , be able to add into disk and survive the reboot? IMO, the shadow mode is the integral part of the whole application, it is designed to repel any structural changes, such as addition/deletion of partition, and if this fails, the other safety feature is to reverse any unexpected changes. I know for facts, these two things will never happen to DeepFreeze. Are all virtualization apps having different frameworks?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.