I still say Avira did great with a suite for Vista

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by trjam, Oct 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arup

Arup Guest

Like it or not Mr. KAV fanboy, thats a fact.:D

In every tests thrown at it, past and present, Avira detects and detects good, they never made the claim like others that they are the best and their humility is what gets them their following. Best of all, their strategy of offering free AV gets them a huge installed base unlike other paid only AVs, this gives them the maximum exposure to huge installed database of different configuration PCs and variety of threats as well, so this is where the paid AVs loose out heavily, also their response time to new viruses and definition is excellent.

It doesn't surprise me at your vitriolic against Avira, after all your signature indicates your total allegiance to Dr. Web, a product that did not do well in tests as compared to Avira.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

what use is detection, if it cant remove what it finds?

thats fine, id always recommend a good router with firewall. :thumb:

, but you also need to understand not everyone is behind a router, and wants just this.

Kasperskys firewall is certainly much better than aviras, much much more.

also, you know ZA Suite now uses kaspersky antivirus?

if ram usage concerns you, bitdefender, panda, kaspersky and probably more are wayyyyy below that.

of course, my writing may sound war-like but its not, just me typing ;)

anyway, i did not call it that, i said the suite is based too much on the antivirus, meaning that i think all the other components are mediocre at best, and that avira can certainly improve their engine and certainly fix the errors with the software, this aswell as improving the mediocre 'other components'

sure, you dont have to agree but thats just what i think :)

anyway, peace. :D

off to watch the footie, have fun :)

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Rather than go on debating I will just say "good enough..." and we can both stick with our individual preferences... ;)

4. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

of course, we were never gonna change our minds :)

lol

5. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Antivir's engine isn't that great. That's why they are developing a emulator (generic unpacking + dynamic heuristics)
    A better engine doesn't always mean better detection, but it's the foundation of a great product over a longer lifespan. A better engine means less work for the viruslab, better signatures, better detection of complex malware, smaller database, etc.

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

If you can tell me about a complex software completly free of bugs, just let me know... ;)

I only know one application completly free of bugs: NaDa
    The most incredible part, it is the fact that its name in Portuguese (also nada) means what it really does... :D :D

7. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

surely not!

what an insult! <REPORT> :blink:

8. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

I was wondering about that myself, I thought Arup had you mixed up with someone else, lol.

9. midway40

midway40 Registered Member

And BTW Arup, Norton does not add 500 registry entries, it is less than a hundred :p :D

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Off topic, closed, door slamming.:doubt:

11. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

lots of things become off topic Jeff,

a thread to 'debate' and give 'opinions'

yet when i disagree, it suddenely turns into a drweb or personal attack, i have my opinions, as do others, but i tried to keep it on topic about avira, yet other people changed this instead of just reading the damn post.

to all: if you dont like a persons comments or posts, use the ignore and stop moaning! Its a feature on a forum for a reason :rolleyes:

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Oh, I totally agree. It just bothers me when it happens as we all know how tight we have to be speaking about a product. So, by no means was I implying you strayed this.

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Last time I checked it was 500, not to mention that it hosed my system completely, maybe they have reformed, its still a bloat as compared to others.:D

14. Arup

Arup Guest

Lets close this thread before it becomes an un-necessary bashing of Avira for no apparent reason but personal and without any logic as is apparent by the posts above.

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Outstanding find. Glad I checked the thread tonight.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.