I see Rollback RX is on sale. What improvements is v10 supposed to have?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Also, any idea when it is supposed to be released? Will the facebook discount work while purchasing it at sale price? Thank you!

2. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

Hi rachet

RX v10 has been in the pipeline for a long, long time now. They were supposed to release it last summer but it never happened. Many users believe that it won't come out before Win8 officially hits the shelves.

Regarding the features of v10, it's anyone's guess. As far as I know Horizon are keeping quiet about it. That's all I know, Aladdin would be probably more qualified to give you more details. He is a member of their forum and maybe is aware of more details.

There is another forthcoming option as well. Comodo Time Machine v3.0 has been under full development again for a few months now after a long break. Apparently the code has been re-written from scratch so it's anyone's guess when it will be released. I'm a member at the Comodo forums and the last I heard was that we'll get an estimated release date in two weeks:

http://forums.comodo.com/news-annou...pment-speed-t71072.0.html;msg608451#msg608451

How long these two weeks will drag is anyone's guess... Personally I'm looking forward to it, it will be free and it should have full SSD support plus it may include other options. I have written to both Melih (Comodo CEO) and Razvan (CTM team leader) and proposed options like bootable media, the ability to backup snapshots on a different disk (sort-of like a traditional backup) and then be able to restore them back onto the system drive (this would be ideal for drive maintainance and also would allow us to import the snapshots to a new disk if the old disk develops bad sectors or dies), plus some other options.

They both replied to me promptly taking the time to discuss it and thanked me for the input. Of course it is naive to think that they would take on board everything that people have been suggesting, but at least they listen to their users, and even their CEO answers e-mails and regularly logs in the forums and discusses things with users. Not many companies are so approachable and open to suggestions! :thumb:

3. ratchet

Thank you for the reply! I've used CTM on an XP desktop and Vista laptop since its inception and am also a forum member over there. The fact is, CTM is the reason I'm even interested in R RX. See, I built a PC with a SSD and 64 bit W 7, need trim and feel naked without the convenience of a snapshot application. I am (mostly was) a big freeware junkie but not so much with this PC I built. Firstly, because a lot of the freeware I try/used was to keep the XP machine going another year(s), e.g. CleanMem. I have zero need for any performance enhancing programs on this machine. Secondly, the SSd is only 120 GBs, which is in fact way more than I really need but having said that, I'm still kind of reluctant to add a bunch of software I don't really need on this SSD. Given those reasons, I indeed have the option to wait, although $25 is no big deal and a very reasonable price. The Gold Support option is $13.80/year, but if v10 wouldn't even be released during the next 12 months it would be a big waist of $, thus the reason for the question about it. Thank you again!

4. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

I believe that the Gold Support is for lifetime. You cannot pay $13.80 for the first year, then get v10 and drop the Gold Support.

Best regards,

5. ratchet

I was wondering about that! So what would they do, nuke your v10? Also suggests they would keep your credit card numbers. They do take PayPal which is what I would use to purchase. This $13.80 for life though is definitely a game changer for me, no way! Thanks!

6. aladdin

The activation of the software is in their hands and not yours. Basically, they put a trojan to call home in your computer to activate your computer. They can turn off this activation anytime. I am not saying that it is a malicious trojan ......

Users of Rollback Rx are having real hard time to activate Rollback Rx after uninstall/reinstall for maintenance. Sometime they have to call/email support during California working hours to have them reset the activation.

Best regards,

7. ratchet

I was on their forum and a member discovered a file that needs to be deleted after the uninstall that resolves that issue. I joined their forum and did request some insight as to what v10 might provide. If it seems like it would be features I really wouldn't care about I might purchase it. I guess I hadn't really thought about one other option. This PC that I've built is so screaming fast, perhaps I should just stick with basic imaging. I would think restores, if needed, would be pretty quick.

8. aladdin

Exactly, stick with a fast machine, with proper imaging along with incremental imaging too. Rollback Rx slows the system down if you have too many snapshots, especially at boot time.

Windows 7 and 8 has very good "System Restore".

Best regards,

9. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

As I understand it you can drop your Gold support at any time. The only result would be that you would not be entitled to a discounted upgrade and if you had a need for support you would have to wait until Gold members had been dealt with.

10. bgoodman4

The source of this issue has been (apparently) identified and a solution has been provided. https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=327213

11. bgoodman4

Sorry, I was distracted from the OP and did not reply to it. As far as I know the big new feature that we are hoping will be in 10 is the ability to easily backup snapshots as well as the rest of the drive that Windows sees as containing data. There has been an indication that this will be in 10 but many users suggest not holding ones breath.

12. aladdin

One can do the above in v9 with any imaging program, performing cold sector to sector image.

In the meantime, the rumor mill works overtime!

Best regards,

13. bgoodman4

Yes, but being able to image without having to do a sector by sector image would save time and would require less space for the image.

14. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Any non-sector-by-sector imaging tool for use with rollback would have to be able to read the snapshot maps. And that isn't likely in any 3rd party utility. So we'll have to wait till a tool gets integrated or something.

15. ratchet

Well, five or six hours ago I successfully joined and activated membership on the R RX forum. I then posted a request for a brief overview of the v10 features, much like I did here, as I was considering purchasing it during the this sale. When you post you get the caveat that the post needs to be approved by the monitors. Well there still isn't any sign of the thread. Anyway, you folks have filled me in pretty good. The v10 features would not sway me (prevent) from purchasing, but considering the fact I'm not into software installs right now and that basic imaging and restore is probably pretty quick on this system I believe I'll pass. I did use W 7s backup app a few weeks ago and saved the image on my external HD but I really don't recall how long it took.

16. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

When I still used CTM on a hard disk I used to use CCleaner in order to wipe the free space before installing CTM. Taking a sector-by-sector image would then produce a much smaller image.

With SSDs it would be best to secure-erase the drive with parted magic or with the drive's proprietory secure eraser (if there is one), before installing Windows and adding RX. It will still make your image smaller but not as small as it would be if you were using a hard disk that you wiped before installing RX and taking the sector-by-sector backup.

17. aladdin

You money most probably is well spent if you buy TeraByte, Image for Windows, Image for Linux, Image for DOS and all others for about $33 for three computers. It is the best imaging program out there, with incremental and differential imaging.

People rightly rave about this program (IFW, IFL and IFD) on this forum.

Best regards,

18. bgoodman4

I have not looked at the sale page but in the past there have been sales which were for the current 9.X version,,,,not for 10. To the best of my knowledge 10 has not been released.

19. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

Barry is correct. The current ($24.95) sale is for v9.1, not for v10. However, if you purchase the optional annual subscription for Gold Support (now on sale for $13.80 for one year) you are entitled to a free upgrade to v10 if it is released within the year that you are a paid-up Gold Support subscriber.

Scott

20. HarveyV

HarveyV Registered Member

As I was doing my part of the research as to find the release date of the RollBack Rx v.10, I came across this thread. As far as the release date goes, it should be released in a few weeks after the public release of the Windows 8 (paraphrasing the reply I got from live support I got from the Rollback Rx provider):D .As for the improvements goes , stating the obvious It will be compatible with Windows 8 and it also includes a compatibility of being able to extract the "snapshots" and the whole application itself into their imaging software called Drive Cloner(although personally I have not tested the software myself).It might seem like their sales strategy to promote Drive Cloner:doubt: but I would say it is good improvement as this add-on somewhat gives an almost 100% security in case of total physical hd failure and I am willing to try it out.Well that is all I got for now.Will post if I get more information.Do let me know if anyone of you got more stuff on it as well.Thanks.:cool:

Cheers,

Harvey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.