I Request A Recommendation For A Great Sandbox/Virtualization Program

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by BC4SecurePC, Dec 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BC4SecurePC

BC4SecurePC Registered Member

Tried "BufferZone Pro" and my computer didn't care it. I am using Win 7 Home Premium. I didn't really care for BZ Pro, either. Or, if there isn't anything good for Win 7, I'd really appreciate that, too.

Thanks to all who wish to respond to me on this!!

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Sandboxie, Shadow defender, wondershare time freeze, Comodo firewall with sandbox. Just to name a few.

3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

4. BC4SecurePC

BC4SecurePC Registered Member

Thanks @kjdemuth and @J_L!! :)

5. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

6. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Sandboxie and Shadow Defender. Different uses for each.

If only one, I'd pick Sandboxie. It's a fantastic piece of software that many of us have come to depend on.

7. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

BC4SecurePC, I agree with the above statement. Myself, I use Sandboxie for security and Shadow Defender for trying programs that don't require a reboot or since I don't have any scanners installed in my computers, I usually use SD for installing programs like MBAM and HMP whenever I like to run a scan.

Since both programs work great doing what they are supposed to do, after installing, after a while, it is likely that you ll find your own way on how to get the most out of them.

Bo

8. Cruise

Cruise Registered Member

I will cast yet another vote of confidence for Sandboxie; - when used properly it provides superb protection. While Shadow Defender is arguably the best of breed (i.e., Light Virtualization Apps), it has potential vulnerabilities - as addressed by Wilders members Wendi and The Shadow.

Wendi pointed out that SD does not place Track 0 (including the MBR) into Shadow Mode and therefore this vital disk area is exposed. Supposedly, SD has committed to incorporating this in the next release.

The Shadow pointed out that since SD must be run with Admin privileges SD should provide a Drop Rights with Prevent Driver Execution option (similar to the like option in SBIE) when the system drive is in Shadow Mode. So far I haven't read of SD's intent to develop this. :doubt:

Furthermore, SBIE's developer (Tzuk) is an active participant in the official SBIE forum, whereas SD's developer (Tony) hardly ever participates in the official SD forum!

Cruise

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  9. Blues7

Blues7 Registered Member

Good points.

I find that I feel most bulletproof, (without taking a noticeable performance hit), when I employ them both.

The only drawback is having to reboot to update apps or signatures.
    (Not much of a drawback in reality, and not necessary on a daily basis.)

I prefer to only create an exception in SD for a download folder which is also under the supervision of Sandboxie.

10. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Another vote for Sandboxie and Shadow Defender. I normally use SB with Chrome or IE10 with restrictions; when I want to work fast with maximum security, test some programs, or have a few drinks I switch to virtual mode with Shadow Defender.

These 2 programs with backup images have been the backbone of my security for years now for 5 machines in my household. My antivirus is only used to check for the rare suspicious downloads when I need a quick opinion.

People who test SB for the first time, might feel daunted by the reasonably longish learning curve, but SB is really easy to use out of the box, and with a bit of knowledge it becomes a very powerful multifaceted protection, eliminating the need to have other layers of security.

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

What he said. :thumb:
    My experience exactly. :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.