I recently unisntalled SpySweeper: WOW

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by ejr, Nov 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ejr

ejr Registered Member

I guess I never realized how many resources this piece of software was using. I feel like I have a new computer!

For now, I am using Spyware Doctor instead of Spy Sweeper.

However, next December I will be migrating over to an all free secuirty suite. In any case, I really was just wanted to comment on how much an improvement I have seen on my system since removing SpySweeper.

I also did a disk cleanup, a defrag, and cleaned the registry. Now, the scans that were taking NOD32 1 hr and 15 minutes to perform are now taking 30 minutes.

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

ejr

Now that you are using 'Spyware Doctor', be wary of 2 things. False positives and inability to boot into safemode. Out of curiousity, could you try booting into safemode and let me know if your successful?. Just remembered another issue. It prevented 'ckdsk' from running!. I gave it the 'Heave-Ho!'.

3. ejr

ejr Registered Member

OK...to address your points:

1. Yes, I have heard that some people have had issues with false positives. I have seen a few posted in the Spyware Doctor forum. So far, none for me. So this isn't a problem (yet). I will also be very cautious about having it remove files. I will first opt to quarantine for some time.

2. I was able to boot up in safe mode. So apparently they fixed that problems.

3. What is "chkdsk"? What does it do? How can I see if my computer can run it.

Thanks for the info. It's always good to know the potential drawbacks of a softare you are about to purchase.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

chkdisc is a windows utility that runs at boottime to check all the files are in order and not corrupt. go to my computer right click your main drive and go to the tools tab and click on the error checking check now.
    now tick both options and say ok to do it after next reboot.
    now reboot and it will do the check before it boots in to windows.
    lodore

5. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Before I read your reply, I was curious what chkdsk was. So I hit "start" then "run", then typed in chkdsk.

It ran in 3 stages. Then closed abruptly.

Seeing that it ran, I guess that PC Tools fixed the problem.

6. lodore

lodore Registered Member

setting one option only gives you three stages.
    if you do it my way and tick both boxes you get five stages.
    lodore

7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

@ejr

LOL
    Yes Spysweeper has become a monster
    Hard to configure
    PITA to run
    Resource hog.
    You wont regret it; became a total waste of space on my box
    AND they want us to buy their antivirus & firewall: I DONT THINK SO.

Check Superantispyware: has been developing nicely.

Best wishes.

8. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Just saw on another forum that 'Spyware Doctor' is detecting trojans but they're all legit entries belonging to 'McAffee Antivirus'!.

9. ejr

ejr Registered Member

Yes, I saw this in the Spyware Doctor users forum. Overall, I think that PC Tools takes a very aggressive stance against Spyware and it sometimes leads to false positives. I haven't had any personally, but I have heard this complaint from others.

Overall though, the product is thorough, provides excellent protection, and is fairly light on system resources. If I start getting a lot of false positives, I will have to consider removing the product. But right now, I am very pleased.

PS...It appears that PC Tools fixed the other issues that you referenced above. So apparently, they are listening!

10. btman

btman Registered Member

I'm getting my spyware doctor license soon... I've never hated the product, and it's done wonders for me. (before my license ran out, and I got too lazy to pay it...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.