I never realized MS Device Manager can't be trusted!

Discussion in 'hardware' started by ratchet, May 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

That is, the driver update. Around six months ago I set up a Linksys E2000 router for my daughter who resides in Boston (I live in PA). Every PC ( mine, husbands, siblings, etc.) that ever entered the house connected to the www flawlessly except her HP G60 laptop. It could/would connect to the network but the network would not allow a connection to the www, listing her connection as having only "Limited Access." There are dozens and dozens of threads around with the issue, not necessarily with just HPs. At that time I tried numerous "fixes" posted without success, including updating the Network Adapter's driver. When MS would search online (from the adapter's properties) it would always state the driver was up to date (200:cool:. This weekend on the HP support forum there was a thread about the adapter not being compatible with the E2000 and a link for a 2010 driver which finally solved the problem. However, before downloading and installing it I again tried to update from the device manager and again it stated the driver was up to date. So beware!

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It only checks Microsoft approved drivers, which is usually outdated.

3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

It should be noted that Microsoft is not responsible to go out to each of the 1000s of manufacturers and ask them about the 1000s of products they make if they have new drivers. Manufacturers who want their customers to have the latest drivers must submit them to Microsoft, or come up with an update notification/install routine. So blame the product makers, not MS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.