I need your opinion to transfer data securely

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Zapco_force, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Zapco_force

Zapco_force Registered Member

Hello, I would like to request an opinion to the security experts.

I need to transfer many files (office files, PDF files. photo, mp3 and video content) from an old IDE Hdd to my new computer with windows-7 Pro-64bit, via USB connection.
    the problem is that the old hdd may also contain some malware, because it was often used for "wild" internet surfing!!....:rolleyes:
    Obviously the first thing to do would be a good virus scanning, but in the meantime I got an idea:
    before connecting the old hdd via usb, could I virtualize the new PC using "shadow defender" and transfer (copy) the data that I need in the virtual environment..... after that, before restarting Pc, transfer data in the real system by the function "Commit now" of Shadow Defender.
    What do you think about my idea?? ;)....do you think it could be a safe method?

2. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

3. MrBrian

With regards to your proposed Shadow Defender "Commit now" method, I believe it would not provide any additional safety because "Commit now" doesn't discriminate between "good" and "bad" changes, right?

4. Zapco_force

5. MrBrian

You're welcome :).

I wasn't questioning how good Shadow Defender is against malware; I don't have any personal experience with Shadow Defender. However, using "Commit Now" would result in all changes, whether your intended changes or those made by malware, to be committed, right?

Regarding malware scanning: How to Scan and Repair an Infected Computer From Outside Windows.

6. Zapco_force

MrBrian thanks for the replies and for your interest!
    I'm afraid that you're right!!...:(....In fact, using "commit now" the files are transferred to the real system and Shadow Defender may not know if the changes
    are made by me or by malware. So I think it's more safe to use a live-cd..... then which do you think is better between hiren boot-cd and a linux distro (es: Ubuntu)??

7. MrBrian

I think anything that boots to Linux would be good. Maybe try Puppy Linux.

8. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi, there is no doubt that the Linux remedy is probably the best, but Linux won’t get infected if you are transferring infected files. In my past experience very rarely data is infected, but your original idea to commit in shadow mode is good as long as you scan your files first, you can install (in shadow mode) Malwarebyte Anti-Malware and Emisoft for example and scan your files first (from memory you must check MBAM’s configuration to add it to Explorer right-click menu)...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.