I need some advice

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by marse.robert, Apr 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marse.robert

marse.robert Registered Member

Hi all,

In the first instance, I have a penchant for purchasing software! This weakness was brought about by the demise of FD-ISR. To be perfectly honest, I did not realise just how much I relied on this application.

The advice that I seek concerns the following Applications that I have purchased:

1: ATI 2012
    2: Rollback Rx
    3: Shadow Defender and,
    4: Sandboxie

a) ATI is necessary for back ups

b) Can (2), (3) and (4) co-exist?

Regards

marserobert

2. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

The question is what does ATI do differently then Rollback are they redundant.Shadow Defender and sandboxie is a great combo.

3. Scott W

Scott W Registered Member

ATI and RB serve different purposes. RB can make instant snapshots of the C-drive/partition and restore them quickly, but it won't be of any help if the drive is unable to bootup to RB's sub-console! RB is not a substitute for an image-backup app (such as ATI), which is the 'last-line of defense'!

Yes, 2, 3 and 4 can co-exist without issues, but I don't see much added value in using Sandboxie when Shadow Defender is on the job. Furthermore, you will have to learn how to use ATI with RB (lots of posts on that subject here on Wilders). ;)

Scott

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  4. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

I use ShadowProtect for backups instead of ATI 2012 but I right now I use all 3 of the programs you mentioned, just starting with RbRx 9.1 recently. Some great advice helped me to go thise way including from Scott W and several more. Although my disk is several partitions, I only protect the C (system) drive with RbRx.

Shadowprotect is used to take a Raw image (including all free space, sectors) of the C drive, done via the boot CD or whatever boot media you run it from. This captures all RbRx snapshots including the subconcole that appears at bootup. Like Scott W said, this will be used only in emergencies when your disk does not boot or you just want to restore back to that image.

I use Sandboxie when browsing because it makes it easier to get rid of Internet session related files without having to restart your machine (if you were running Shadow Defender).

Shadow Defender is used for whenever I want an extra layer of security either when receiving unknow files from people on various media or I am out in public and others have access to my machine or if I just want to use it for any other reason.

Anyway, hope this helps you out some.

Gary

5. CyberMan969

CyberMan969 Registered Member

6. marse.robert

marse.robert Registered Member

Hi all

Many, many thanks for your input!

Last request: Can I learn in 10 minutes what CyberMan969, huntnyc, Scott W, and djohn already know?

Kindest regards

M.

7. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

You are correct there is no real substitute for FDISR
    (which in time may become an issue...but not yet)

FDISR is still a going concern for many of us on XP and W7: and still rules.
    :)
    Why have you dropped it.
    What went awry for u ?

8. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

yes you can....assuming you posses an IQ of 297 .......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.