I need some advice...

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Mozz, Oct 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mozz

Mozz Registered Member

Hey...

I'll try to make this as short as I can.. I don't know much about firewalls. I've tried but I really can't seem to understand them. So I bought a router and used the XP firewall. But I'd like to know which program connects out. So I've tried a couple of firewalls. And here is my question.. Is Outpost Firewall Vers. 1.0 (The free one) still ok to use if you're behind a router and only want to use it for it's limited outgoing protectiono_O When I disconnect my router, I still get "Stealthed" behind it... I know that it's very old now, and proberbly not very good. But I just can't seem to find a new one that I can manage.. I've tried most, if not all of them..

For the record, I've tried the new pc tools firewall and couldn't instill it on my system.. So I don't really know if that one suits me....

2. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Hello Mozz,

I would not recommend Outpost ver 1.0. It is no longer supported by Agnitum and its level of protection is limited at best.

There are quite a few other free alternatives available such as Kerio 2.1.5 or Comodo 2.4 that are very popular and recommended by many. Just conduct a search in this forum and you will find several threads on free fw recommendations.

BTW, a software fw will stealth your machine if you don't use a router, but I would keep the router. It keeps Internet "noise" away from your machine and software fw.

3. Mozz

Mozz Registered Member

Hey Wat0114, and thank you very much for your reply... But as I said in my post, I'm really NOT very good at understanding firewalls and setting them up. I would say that it's impossible for me to do, and believe me, I've tried. So Kerio 2.15 is definitely out of the question, because that's way to complicated for me... And believe it or not so is Comodo.... Maybe there are other alternatives that I don't know about?

I was just thinking that Outpost 1.0 was at the same level as Win XP firewall, which I know a lot of people are using...

4. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Mozz:

This post is all about you!:D Don't worry I'm learning rule making on Kerio but I promise not to try to push you that way!:cool:

I think I understand your situation and view is that you just want to have a solid FW and not have the "complexity" of making your own rules setting it up etc, etc.

I would be happy to help you but need a bit more information first.

Given I have that right, you have a number of choices and depending on how you use the internet.

What sort of privacy concerns/activities do you have:

1) Email?
    2) On line banking? Do you pay bills on line?
    3) On Line purchases? any from dubious non https sites?
    4) Surf on the wild side? (I know touchy issue)
    5) What is your current OS and config visa via security software, do you have OP ver 1 yet?
    6) You say your router is "old" what vendor/ model is it?
    7) Summarize all FW's you have tried and what happened in detail if you can when you ran them?

When you indicated a concern for outbound connections is that just on a program basis on your PC or are you worried about the "non-famous" unrequested packets leaving your PC for unknown destinations?

5. Mozz

Mozz Registered Member

Hello Escalader... And thank you also for your reply.. Well I have absolutely no problem with you trying to push me towards Kerio 2.15. I've tried it a couple of times, but is absolutely clueless about what to do.. But here is my answer to your questions, maybe that'll help..

What sort of privacy concerns/activities do you have:

1) Email?
    Yes, I need this one. But it's not often I use it

2) On line banking? Do you pay bills on line?
    --No, never.

3) On Line purchases? any from dubious non https sites?
    --Yes, but never from non https sites, I always make sure of that.

4) Surf on the wild side? (I know touchy issue)
    --I don't think so, no.

5) What is your current OS and config visa via security software, do you have OP ver 1 yet?
    --Windows XP. I don't know what OP ver 1 is... I plan on using Avira antivirus (The paid version), But I don't use any securityprograms right now, other than windows firewall..

6) You say your router is "old" what vendor/ model is it?
    --Well, not that old:D It's called D-Link. I'll try and see if I can find the model number....

7) Summarize all FW's you have tried and what happened in detail if you can when you ran them?
    --1. Outpost Ver 1... As I said, I like this one..
    --2. Bullguard Security Suite - I like this on as well, But my subscription ran --out. And I don't want to go the "suite way" this time. It had a lot of --functions that I never used, so I just think it's pointless for me to renew.
    --3. Comodo Pro - I just didn't like this one. I didn't trust it. Don't know why, --It also kept coming up with a lot of pop ups that I didn't know the answer --to..
    --4. Zonealarm - I actually liked this one as well, but after reading about it --here, I think it was you who pointed out the whole "phone home" thing. I --didn't want that either.. I didn't like the system slowdown either..
    --5. And also Kerio 2.15, But that just went totally over my head.. Didn't --understand a thing about it...

When you indicated a concern for outbound connections is that just on a program basis on your PC or are you worried about the "non-famous" unrequested packets leaving your PC for unknown destinations?
    I think that I would be ok if the outbound control is on a program basis.. No need to have the latest leaktest winner...

There, I think that's it.. I hope these answers is ok.. Or else, just ask again.. And thank you for taking the time to help....

6. Mozz

Mozz Registered Member

Oh, forgot about the new Kerio 4.XXX. It gave me a BSOD.... I can't remember the exact version number, but it was the new one....

7. Mozz

Mozz Registered Member

To be honest with you.. I wouldn't mind keep using the XP firewall, if it just had a little bit of outgoing program control. I just hate it, whenever I open up WMP or Itunes or something like that, that it's "phoning home" or whatever it does. There just no reason for that...

8. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I use D-Link also, and when visiting their website I realized that I had to update the firmware, which was easy to do. I also found out that it had reached its EOL-cycle, past its best- before date. A month a two ago I checked back out of curiousity, and found another update! Apparently they still support their products for a couple years after its EndOfLife date. So make sure your router is current. About the firewall, I wish I knew, I'm in the same boat, so I'm following this thread closely.

9. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

You could try Look n Stop, disable its Internet Filter, and just use the application control. The prompts are simple allow/block so I think you could handle that.

10. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Comodo is not that hard to use. Try it, after all it is free so you don't lose anything. I found its rule making to be completely non technical when used in XP.

11. Escalader

Okay, Mozz here we go!

Good, if your ISP a web mail service with anti spam and selective blocking, you don't even need to use web mail client like MS Outlook or express thus reducing clutter on your PC

Okay, reduces hazzards related to money,id theft and outbound issues.

Okay, reduces hazzards related to money,id theft and outbound issues.

Okay, if you don't know then you probably don't. Risk of infection less!

Okay, sorry OP ver 1=Outpost 1.0, my confusion sorry!

OT sort of, You NEED a solid AV/ASW tool NOW. This is more NB than your FW question in your case since you have Win FW and a router! Try AntiVir free or one of the top ranked products from AV Comparatives. I'm trialling NOD 32 right now it seems solid but it is a bit complex in set up. Try AntiVir free for a while before laying down your $.

Okay, go online and ask D-Link FAQ with your model number in hand then report back with their procedure if it doesn't work to update it. Not that big a deal but tricky.

There is nothing wrong with your answers!

Get the AV fixed and working first.
    Backup whole PC
    Uninstall all 3rd party FW's you have tried
    Go and try the newest PC Tools Personal FW.

Follow the install steps they provide exactly.

This will give you outbound program control that you need.

Report back you experiences later

Hope this helps:D

12. Mozz

Mozz Registered Member

Hey Escalader.. Problem is, that I've tried to install the Pc Tools firewall a few times (The new one aswell).. And the installition process goes ok, no problem. But after the required reboot, the firewall isn't running.. I try to manually start it, but I can't.. It just kind of never shows up if you know what I mean...

13. 19monty64

The # should be on the bottom of the router, but navigating their site can be tricky. Look for a link there to EOL (End Of Life) products, as they are greyed-out to look at them.

14. 19monty64

I remember a 2nd reboot was needed too, but okay for me after that...

15. Mozz

Mozz Registered Member

I don't think my router is to old.. It shouldn't be.. But Monty, I'll try and install Pc Tools Firewall right now, again.. And see if a second reboot solves the problem... Thanks...

16. Mozz

Mozz Registered Member

No, still the same problem.. I can't get the program to run.. It does show up in process manager as FirewallGui.exe, but that's the only sign of it... To bad...

17. 19monty64

Perhaps, disconnecting from the internet when rebooting may appease your issues with ZoneAlarm. I do miss its ease of use. (Maybe a HIPS may be in order.) If you use FF or Opera, that would also help you be more secure. Right now, besides Avast, router and Opera is my only "active-protection'' but I am using the newest CurPorts to monitor internet connections http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/cports.html

18. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

You should consider giving the Comodo Pro (always free) Firewall a go. It passes more tests than virtually any other and is actually very easy to use.
    You just have to calmly and quietly read its help guide.
    For all your programs you regard as safe, just go into application monitor > 'add' and when you add a program not before used, or 'edit' for an application already in the list and click on the check box 'SKIP PARENT CHECK' and check the box 'allow all activity for this program' for say an email program or web browser, and check the 'out' only box for programs that do *not* require full in/out access.
    You can do that process easily and quite quickly at start up for *all* programs on your machine that you consider safe (Browser, email account etc).

The alternative is to get a friend/family member/work colleague to actually come along and help you.

19. Mozz

Mozz Registered Member

Hey Stevie.. Yeah, maybe I should give it a try again.. But what about all those different svhosts that wants to connect? And all those other system "things".. Problem is, I don't know what requires both in and out access or just out access.. Maybe Zonealarm is the answer after all.....

20. StevieE9

StevieE9 Registered Member

Only email programs and web browsers - for average users - need 'server' (in/out) access and if you check the 'skip parent check' in Comodo for those programs you won't *see* those other system entries. In any case, googling a search on the issue will tell you what you need to know.
    However, as you seem so worried about configuring a Firewall - why are you so worried about 'outgoing' issues?
    Zone Alarm free is without doubt a good firewall but I have read innumerable posts all over the net about how fiddly it is, and how it even forgets to ask for a new permission for a program 'upgrade' which leaves people posting on forums 'I can't connect with......(some program) but it was working yesterday' kind of problems.
    Comodo has never once given me that problem.

21. De Hollander

De Hollander Registered Member

22. Mozz

Mozz Registered Member

The last time I used Comodo, I kept getting these "High Severity Events" and loads of stuff in the logs.. They were both inbound and outbound. And that was on a clean, reformatted system with a router. And I just didn't know, still don't, what to do about it...

23. 19monty64

24. Escalader

There should be zero issues installing this FW.
    I have no clue why your PC would be different than mine or others.

It's too bad since I think this one may be the best blend for you between ease of use and outbound security.

I have found ( sometimes) that not uninstalling a old products completely including their folders usually in the programs folder in C is the problem. If they are there run their uninstalls again or go to the control panel and uninstall all you see that you don't use. Not the windows software!

Does the product show up in your all programs list? Any of your others still showing. ZA, CFW see if they have left folders behind. If so delete all the residue folders and their contents. Delete/ininstall PC Tools FW as well.

Then run latetest CCleaner and the Issues feature which cleans up your register crap.

Then defrag the system and reboot PC.

Update Xp to lastest and greatest.

Run the antivir

reboot

Download latest PC Tools FW from their web site, join their forum while there and scan for issues like you encountered! Be sure, windows fw is off while using a 3rd party FW. Kerio doesn't do that for me.

Try again!

Did you run the AV yet? With no AV in the past you may have a parasite in your PC as I understood you not to have had a AV running, this is a real issue if you haven't done that!

Let thread know outcome, go slow and careful.

25. 19monty64

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.