I need replacement for RBRx...SP or Paragon or ATI?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by fce, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fce

fce Registered Member

since RollbackRx is not working with KIS8 (or vice versa) and since I’m comfortable using KIS8 I’m looking to replace RBRx in my new laptop either by Shadow Protect, ATI or Paragon.

I have some question:
    1. who’s more faster between the 3 in doing back-up?
    2. SP or Paragon or ATI + Returnil +KIS8….anybody use this combo? Any problem?
    3. Any special note that I need to know before deciding which of the 3 I will use?

thanks in advance

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

SP was the fastest according my tests and it never failed until now after numerous backups and restores and it has a ready-to-use Recovery CD, which can also be used to install SP under Windows.
    I use SP regularly to keep my clean images up-to-date.

Since FDISR is terminated, there is no multiple snapshot ISR software anymore, except RBRx :rolleyes:.
    If you still want ISR, Returnil, ShadowDefender or the too strict DeepFreeze (not for home users) are a good choice. There should not be a problem with backup or restore. You have to test this yourself in the trial period. The same with KIS8. So don't buy too quickly.
    What works on someone else's computer doesn't mean it will work on YOUR computer also. It is just an indication that it might work on YOUR computer, nothing more than that.

Regarding ISR : choose between Returnil or ShadowDefender.
    I can't recommend FDISR Rescue, because excluded objects are not protected, like in Returnil.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

eiether paragon or SP. dont touch ATI with a barge pole not worth it.
    i will never reccomend software i wouldnt use myself.
    both paragon and SP work great.
    you could also consider image for windows by terabyte unlimited. link

4. fce

fce Registered Member

thanks erik.

how long it takes for SP to backup and restore 50GB OS & Apps?

I already use Returnil so i might use it again if i will remove RBRx (semi freeze system)

5. fce

fce Registered Member

look nice!

does it work the same as RBRx snapshot? or another SP/Paragon equivalent (without any snapshot)?

6. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I'll second that KIS 2009 works great with SP. I have also used Paragon without issues but found SP to be faster on my laptop. I have had too many problems with ATI to even consider that as a solution.

7. ErikAlbert

No idea man, you better clock this on your own computer during the trial period of 30 days and the trial is fully functional.
    I changed my whole recovery solution in September, most users don't do it this way. My images are also much smaller than in the past.

8. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

I backup 48 GB from my laptop to an external drive in about 22 minutes. Lots of variables involved so just give the trial a try.

9. fce

fce Registered Member

22mins :eek:

geez... i'll miss RBRx 1minute snapshot!

10. Ed_H

Ed_H Registered Member

SP is the fastest image backup software that I have found. One option is to schedule continuous incremental backups at short intervals, like every 15 minutes. These backups will typically take less than 1 minute and you won't notice it running. At the end of the day you can then collapse all the incrementals into one image for the day.

11. ErikAlbert

Do you consider a RBRx-snapshot as an image ? Never heard that one before. :D

12. fce

fce Registered Member

what i mean is the speed

13. ErikAlbert

I know, I know, I was just teasing you. :D
    Returnil will allow you to test softwares like RBRx, except reboot-softwares and you can't reboot or you will lose the tested softwares, so your test period is rather limited, which was not the case with RBRx.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  14. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

i also vot for dont touch ATI with a barge pole not worth it its crap and dengerous to use... i today coz of it almost lost important data when it corupt my HD partition when it uses is lame loader to restore. took me alot of risky play with partion magic + other partition tools to fix the **** it made :mad:

SP is very fast and to be trusted

paragon got to many option and look "big" not recomanded it

cheers:cautious:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  15. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

ATI Home Edition 10 works fine and I have restored images without a problem many times.

16. ErikAlbert

I also used TI9 during a year, it never failed, but something whispered in my ear : "Buy SP and drop TI". No regrets.

17. Bunkhouse Buck

I may do the same thing, but only because SP is allegedly faster and I make a complete image each night (about 60 GB) and it takes about 70 minutes with TI10 and a USB 2.0 connection.

18. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Hi anti diskfragmenter. LOL Good choice i guess you cut times in half with SP. ;)

19. Bunkhouse Buck

Hi pro-disk defragmenter. Actually, I tested PD 2008 and there is a slight improvement in access times, etc. according to our testing.

As to SP, you are asserting (again) something that may or may not be true. Cut in half? I doubt it.

20. RAD

RAD Registered Member

I can attest that Paragon Drive Backup 8.51 has worked perfectly for me under VISTA HP, both before and after VISTA SP1.

ATI-10, which I also own, simply does not work; and you can check their forum to see the magnitude of troubles.

For defragmenter: Paragon Total Defrag and Raxco PerfectDisk 2008 both seem to work exactly as advertized. I also tried Ultimate Defrag, which works well, but does not offer offline defrag of locked system files.

21. ErikAlbert

I assume 60gb = Windows + Applications + Data ?

22. Bunkhouse Buck

All of it.

23. ErikAlbert

That's why it takes so long :
    1. You do a full backup of Windows + Applications, even when nothing changed.
    2. You do a full backup of data instead of doing a backup of the changes in your data.

24. lodore

lodore Registered Member

another equilent of sp/paragon. it uses less space thou and is very reliable.
    you may want to use the option in kis2009 to "do not scan open files" for imagew.exe otherwise during verify your computer may go very slow since kis will scan the files as it checks the backup.
    right click K icon,settings>>system secuirty>>settings>>
    find terabyte section in trusted zone>>click on the little plus sign>> find and highlight imagew.exe click on edit>> exclusions tab tick the box "do not scan open files"
    can do it for other imaging programs you test as well. just find there main excutable file.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2008
  25. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Explain and what do you mean by (again),referring to a earlier thread i guess ?My guess is that imaging times with SP as compared with ATI are roughly 1/3 ! it take you 20 to 25 min. And imaging the whole disk is a bit stupid like Erik explains.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.