I need advise for my new security set-up...

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by fce, Jun 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fce

fce Registered Member

i want to beep-up or try new security for my new laptop....hope you guys can help me with this

my existing security set up:
    --> KIS7 (very satisfied with ver7...unfortunately ver8 is coming)

--> RollbackRx

i'm thinking of this new security set-up

--> Avira Premium Security Suites (my only concern is its firewall is not that good compare to KIS base on matousec test result)

--> Avira Premium + Comodo Firewall ....not sure if this set-up will slowdown my new PC.

--> KIS8 Final Release (my only concern is it didn't like RollbackRx. Everytime i restore my system KIS8 TR always do some repair and re-installation)

--> Paragon. i'll try this if RollbackRx will not cooperate with KIS8 :D

thanks in advance!!!

2. computer geek

computer geek Registered Member

Keep it light as possible, for example I'm testing how NAB and comodo 3 do together, and they take up only 30mb.

3. Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek Global Moderator

Don't try to get an overkill. Common sense is the most important thing in security.
    Next to that you can add several programs, most of which you like. Real bad quality isn't in the field anymore as long as you take a well known brand.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Just keep using KIS7 if you're happy with it. Just because v8 is coming out doesn't mean you have to upgrade to it (unless they force you too).

5. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

Avira Premium
    PC Tools Firewall Plus or Windows Firewall.
    Defensewall
    Threatfire
    Win Patrol
    Super anti spyware free-used on demand
    Shadow Protect Desktop.
    Lines 2,4,5 and 6 are free.
    All are light and very effective.
    Hugger

6. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi fce:

It depends on how you will use this laptop on the www.

(1) Do you purchase and or bank on line?
    (2) or are you a low risk surfer just doing email and reading news stories?
    (3) do you surf on the dark side?

If you decribe HOW you use the internet I will provide a more detailed response.

If not users need a 2 way FW, AV, HIPS, ASW and a reliable image backup for their systems.

All SW should be from reliable vendors.

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I prefer to work theoretically regardless personal usage or someone else's usage of internet. If you recommend a security setup, based on personal usage, you might give another user the wrong security setup.

My goal is to kill any object (good or bad) that doesn't belong on my system and my personal usage of internet has nothing to do with it. I want my computer CLEAN and I mean really clean.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008
  8. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Recommend/Asking is the very soul of Wilders if i understand right,so its inevitable that someone suggest/recommend/not recommend based on personal experience or experiences of others. Any recommendation can be flawed,i admit that,even scientific research sometimes fail.But let it be clear that we now have a confidence in our setup thanks to the recommendations of others !

9. fce

fce Registered Member

(1) yes
    (3) yes :D ....but i immediately restore my clean snapshot after surfing on the dark side.

10. fce

fce Registered Member

i'm tempting to upgrade to KIS8 because of new improvements....the problem is it wont work with RollbackRx.

11. Escalader

Okay.

My bias is that I'm a beta tester for OA. Here are my tool thoughts:

For dns confirmation and anti phishing consider the OA Security Suite plus their AV which is KAV. Try OA as a trial before laying out your $.

You get the AV, and the 2 way FW and the HIPS. After learning mode you will get minimum pop ups.

Then supplement it with SuperAntiSpyware due to your dark side surfing habit:D

When banking, you can turn on it's banking mode which ensures your PC doesn't wander away to other sites.

I doubt you will have trouble with rollback but if you do try Paragon product line.

Hope this works for you, good luck.

12. farmerlee

I'll have to check out this problem as i also use rollback and i've been looking at this new KIS 8.

13. farmerlee

Ok i tested KIS 8.0.0.357 against eaz-fix 8.1 on xp pro sp3 and rollback rx 8.1 on vista64 sp1. Both installed, ran, scanned and updated just fine. I also successfully took some snapshots and then jumped back and forth between them to check if both rollback and eaz-fix still worked. The only strange anomally is the snapshot size of the kis8 installation on vista 64 is 700mb!

I think its safe to say that the current release of KIS8 appears to work fine.

14. fce

fce Registered Member

i think i'll still use KIS8 in my new machine.....

guys any idea if i add defensewall in my machine, will it be too much with KSI8+Defensewall in my machine or i'm good with KIS8 only?

thanks in advance

15. Escalader

Suggest you ask KIS and defense wall support if these 2 overlap or conflict at the kernel level. Some vendors list conflicts with their specs or on their web page. Research is required to minimize trouble in advance.:cool:

At a minimum enable their exclusion options for each other

16. fce

fce Registered Member

kis8 got HIPS, so i dont need defensewall...

i might try kis8 + shadow protect, since RBRx hates KIS8 :D

any body can inform me how long it takes for shadow protect to restore ~50GB space OS/apps?

also how long it takes for SP to back up ~50GB space?

thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.