I need advice

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Metal425, Sep 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

How much security do you guys reccomend for a safe surfer?
    I also have a hardware firewall and use Opera.

I don't really do any dangerous surfing anymore, I'm just going on myspace/deviantart/forums etc etc.

I sometimes download some programs, but they're from official sites.

I do download some music off p2p programs, but I don't that would be anything to worry about unless I still used WMP11 and got a Hook.

But I don't use WMP11 anymore so I'm fine.

Right now, I'm running Avri Antivir Free, Windows Vista Firewall, My router firewall, Sandboxie, and BOClean, Spywareblaster, and a few other Anti-Spyware programs for on-demand scanning.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Im a kinda risky surfer and I still only use AV + FW. Since you have a router firewall then you could go with just AV.

If you want a lil extra security try a sandobox or virtualization app like Retunil.

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Downloading from P2P sites is risky IMO.
    I don't see anything wrong with the programs that you list.

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

I think it's useful to rephrase that. Not how much, how much says nothing.

It's what do you do with the computer, what risk do you associate with it, and what can cover that.

The AV has nothing to do with building a strategy, the AV is there as the last line. imo. You use SandboxIE, ok. Now where do you use it, and do you think you need anything else. To do what, etc.

5. Metal425

Metal425 Registered Member

Like I said in my post, I just go on forums, myspace, deviantart, and use a p2p program to download music.

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think you've got plenty already... for your usage of the machine, all I'd use is the router, Opera or Firefox, and a good solid AV. That's it...

7. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Sorry, you did say that.

You got SandboxIE to isolate potential infections. If you use sure safe things only outside SBIE, this and the firewall is your main defense.

Last, you got maybe the best AV around, and BOClean to aid. Then 2 of the best AS to scan files. :thumb:

Not anyone can live with it, but i use DEP in "AlwaysOn" mode (only chosen in the boot.ini file). It breaks many programs, but that goes to show it works. It's the best XP has for Buffer Overflows. It's not perfect, but complements that exist are not trouble free (patching the kernel, etc - BSOD's), or not finished.

I use SSM free instead of SBIE now, although i'm not convinced of what approach is best. SSM blocks executables, and helps you build a policy, and lock the computer. SandboxIE has a policy and virtualization, but only for isolated programs, and doesn't block executables etc.

The other thing i never got around to do is use the limited user account. Tlu has posted about a strategy using that with an open source program to summon admin rights when needed (Sudo or something). Appears to be very sound.

So 2 things i suggest: search for DEP AlwaysOn, and try it, and check Tlu's posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.