I need a VPN for December 2013

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by mattdocs12345, Nov 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

If you want to connect using the configuration file named "Single-Amsterdam.conf", "route-that-I-want" = "Single-Amsterdam" :)

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Okay gonna try this. First I need to get that stupid Open VPN to work. For some reason ct.key was not recognized even thou the file existed in the approriate directory.

3. mirimir

All of the files in "/etc/openvpn" must be owned by root, and have permissions "-rw-------".

4. mattdocs12345

how do I do that?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay I got fed up with this. Maybe my patience is running a little low. I checked BolehVPN installation guide and they don't have step by step instructions on how to do this. I mean Mullvad VPN provides a dedicated software that automatically does it while BolehVPN is missing curical steps in their installation guide. How hard is it for those guys to give step by step instructinos on how to do it via terminal. I could simply copy and paste commands and have this running in no time.

I have sent the follwing dissatisfaction letter to those guys:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  5. imdb

imdb Registered Member

take a look at this, might come in handy:

Setting up VPN in Linux (Ubuntu)
    www.bestvpn.com/blog/3625/best-vpn-for-linux/

6. mirimir

Well, anything that gets copied there is owned by root, automatically.

As an example, let's say that you have these OpenVPN files in your home directory ("/home/user/", where "user" is your username):

Code:
    ca.crt
    client.crt
    client.key
    ta.key
    some-route.conf
    If you have "some-route.ovpn", rename it as "some-route.conf"

Go to your home directory:

Code:
    cd /home/user
    Then run:

Code:
    sudo cp ca.crt /etc/openvpn/
    sudo cp client.crt /etc/openvpn/
    sudo cp client.key /etc/openvpn/
    sudo cp ta.key /etc/openvpn/
    sudo cp some-route.conf /etc/openvpn/
    Then go to /etc/openvpn:

Code:
    cd /etc/openvpn
    Then list files:

Code:
    ls -lah
    You'll probably see "-rw-r--r--" as permissions and "root root" as "user group" for the files that you just copied.

Now run these ("go" = "group and other", "-" = "remove", and "r" = "read permission"):

Code:
    sudo chmod go-r ca.crt
    sudo chmod go-r client.crt
    sudo chmod go-r client.key
    sudo chmod go-r ta.key
    sudo chmod go-r some-route.conf
    And then list the files again. You should see "-rw-------" as permissions for all five.

Now run:

Code:
    sudo service openvpn start
    Other options are "stop", "restart", and "status".

7. mattdocs12345

Thank you mirimir. I tried doing it your way. I did 80% of it. I was unable to copy and paste via terminal but I did that manually by going root with nautilius. I still couldn't connect to BolehVPN.
    I also recived response and they promised to make a guide for Ubuntu 13.10. However today my trail period expired (even thou I haven't connected to their servers). We will see if they will email me the guide and provide with another trail.
    Otherwise I think I will just go with Mullvad VPN which has a dedicated application for linux.

8. mirimir

OK.

If you want to try it with pfSense, I can help ;)

9. mattdocs12345

Isn't pfSense a firewall? How would this help?

10. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

With AirVPN the setup with linux is pretty easy.
    If you can get the same key and cert files from Boleh, then it's going to be the same, I guess.

In 10 days AirVPN is going to expire, I am switching to Boleh for a couple of months.

11. mirimir

pfSense is a FreeBSD distro, optimized for use as a router/firewall.

pfSense VMs make great OpenVPN clients. They also work as Tor gateways. And I'm close -- but all too far :( -- from getting a pair of them working as an OpenVPN server that's reachable as a Tor hidden service.

Anyway, pfSense is cool ;)

12. Reith

Reith Registered Member

Could you post some info about using pfSense like that? I tried setting it up in VirtualBox before but I didn't really know what I was doing.

13. mirimir

Skim my privacy guides (Parts 1-:cool: at <-https://www.ivpn.net/privacy-guides->.

14. mattdocs12345

Okay I settled for Mullvad VPN for December 2013-December 2014. I have evaluated Boleh VPN but they have failed to respond to me with a detailed guide on setting up their service on Ubuntu. Also other services such as AirVPN and iVPN don't have a dedicated linux client.
    Either way, I like the fact that Mullvad is fully recognizing and supporting linux. They sold me on it. It's also very easy to set up their client to automatically connect my laptop at start up.
    I will be buying their service in 2 weeks. Unless something better pops out in the last moment.

15. RollingThunder

RollingThunder Registered Member

Matt:

I am a customer of iVPN. The browsing and download speed is superior. As Mirimir pointed out earlier OpenVPN can be installed on almost any linux distro. The price of iVPN is the issue, not the quality. iVPN is $100 per year. I personally feel you would be hard pressed to find a better VPN if you can afford the dip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.