I need a registry protector! Please, help me choosing one!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Prions, Dec 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prions

Prions Guest

I need a registry protector, but I don´t know wich one is better...

RegDefend, WinPatrol, RegRun or MJ Registry Watcher?

2. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I would choose Regdefend. ;) The choice is yours.

3. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Prions,
    Better is really a matter of what you are trying to achieve and how much you want to interact (or not) with the software

Nadirah has made a decent suggestion because RegDefend does a good job of preventing changes (and the trial converts into a free version as well). RegDefend is good in that it doesn't consume resources by constantly polling keys and when it is running it will flag changes made by any system component

However there are still some other things you may want to consider
    • RegDefend doesn't cover changes when it is not running
      • this is not really a big risk because it will be running during normal use, when you are installing programs and using the computer. Future versions might address this
    • Its not strictly registry related but RegDefend doesn't look for additions/removals in your "Start" directories
      • this is something you may wish to protect and MJRW or RegRun or WinPatrol can help there
    And as other people will no doubt say, you need to try the user interface of the different programs and find one that you feel comfortable with. There is a lot to be said for making use of the evaluation period to get a feel for what suits you

4. Prions

Prions Guest

Thanks a lot!

"Its not strictly registry related but RegDefend doesn't look for additions/removals in your "Start" directories
    this is something you may wish to protect and MJRW or RegRun or WinPatrol can help there"

Does ZA PRO 6 protects me this way? I have ZA PRO 6 too...

What´s the diference between the free version and the full version of Regdefend?

5. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

If u really want to be good protected against malware trying to modify your reg., then I would go for Regdefend (pro-active) and MJ RegWatcher (polling a broad spectrum of keys). However, If u doesn´t have a basic understanding of how the registry works, then none of the above mentioned are usefull since u have to know when to allow/block reg. changes... ;)

Regards, C.

6. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    Maybe u can try GhostSecurity Suite (it is a combinations of AppDefend and RegDefend), and also the latest WinPatrol 9.8 can also detects some registry changes and is now much more faster and accurate than before. ;)

7. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Good choice, I use RD, WinPatrol and ProcessGuard.

8. Prions

Prions Guest

What does WinPatrol do that Regdefend+PG doesn´t do?

9. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Probably not a whole lot. It was on my system before PG & RD. All are very lite on resoures. I use WinPatrol Plus as a backup to PG/RD. WP is really an IDS. I don't run it in realtime (version 9.8 allows realtime monitoring) as PG/RG should react first. WP polls (I have it set for 1 minute on most things) so if something got by PG/RD or if I goofed and allowed something I would have another chance to correct it with WP. I also like the WP Plus online database to lookup programs/services, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.