I need a lock

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Is there a cheap, simple program whereby I can password-protect my HOSTS file, but that file will still be usable by my browsers?

2. SourMilk

SourMilk Registered Member

The only thing I can think of is to change the host file attribute to read-only and activate and elevate UAC if you have Windows 7. This will prevent others from changing your hosts file because your OS is password protected. Other than that, I wouldn't know what would work.

SourMilk out

3. bellgamin

Thanks, but (for various reasons) I really need a separate program for locking files.

4. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi bellgamin,
    Not exactly what you've asked for, but... SpywareBlaster can encrypt and create a backup of your HOSTS file.
    That work for ya?

Attached Files:

5. bellgamin

Thanks, but I don't think that would work. If HOSTS were encrypted, then my browsers couldn't use it. I need HOSTS to remain usable -- while at the same time being password-protected from being written to..

6. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

it keeps ur host file working, it just creates an encrypted copy of it so that if the one ur using ever gets corrupted or w/e it can be replaced by ur backup.

7. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Simplest solution is to grant or deny rights via the OS. If you run as admin, you are in trouble. If you run as less than admin, it is easy. But even as admin, you could set the rights so that even admins cannot modify it. You can script this so that you could have a 'toggle' effect, where you run script A to set rights to read only for everyone, and script B to set rights to modify to admins only. There are probably other methods as well using built in methods. At least, that is my opinion.

Sul.

8. pegr

pegr Registered Member

If you are running on x32, another possibility would be to use Sandboxie. Under Sandbox Settings you could add the hosts file to the Read-Only Access list to prevent it from being modified by programs running in the sandbox (e.g. browsers).

9. HAN

HAN Registered Member

It would be interesting to see if this is even possible. I don't see how it could be...

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Online Armor can slso be used to protect host files.

Maybe if you said why you want to do this it would be easier to suggest a solution.

Pete

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hmmm... I wonder why you think some one is after ur hosts file only!!! If it,s malware, then malware is not supposed to attack hosts file only.

If the file is locked, how browser can access it. Only an advanced HIPS with file read interception can do it but to be frank, it,s not worth the effort IMO. What you want to achieve? What,s the goal? Only the we can think of other solution.

12. bellgamin

I use HOSTS to block certain websites. I do not want other users to be able to edit HOSTS so as to unblock those sites.

Things that work but I don't want to do them (for sundry reasons) . . .

1) I do not want to use LUA {please do not lecture me on this :p }

2) I do not want to use OpenDNS to block those sites (REASON: From Hawaii, at present, OpenDNS is slower than other DNS options, according to DNS Benchmark)

As to the excellent suggestion to use Online Armor (OA) -- My HIPS is Malware Defender (MD) rather than OA. MD can be password protected. It can also be set to Deny any attempts to write to HOSTS -- IF AND ONLY IF I can figure out how to write a rule to that effect (duhhh). In other words -- Rule suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Mele Kalikimaka to all of you from Hawaii-nei. :thumb:

13. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Please open command prompt and type this in:
    Code:
    cacls c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
    This should return the rights of the default Users, Power Users, Admins and System. You should see only Admins and System have Full rights, all other have Read rights. If this is the case, you are set.

Now create two batch files, I called them:

Host_lock.bat
    Code:
    cacls c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts /e /p administrators:r
    and

Host_unlock
    Code:
    cacls c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts /e /p administrators:f
    And there you have it, a batch file to lock the file, and one to unlock it. This should take care of the most basic threats. Perhaps a more advanced threat might examine permissions and use cacls to undo this. Maybe cacls should be listed in SRP as denied normally.

Simple and free, my favorite kind.

Sul.

14. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

15. HAN

HAN Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  16. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

You can set Malware Defender to allow access to the HOSTS file only to apps of your choice. I believe svchost.exe is the only program that needs access. Browsers don't access it directly (unless you have dnscache turned off, maybe... not sure) If you log access with MD, you can find out what else is accessing the file.

17. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

any other simple and freeware solutions to locking of host files?

18. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Happy that a solution has been found !

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  19. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Yes, when there's a will, there's a way !

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  20. bellgamin

Yep. That's the method I chose.

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.