I miss in TI9Home some support

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by chrizio, Nov 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrizio

chrizio Guest

Hi,

I am user of TI 9.0 Home for some days.
    The first experiences result in plenty of questions.
    Maybe you know answer to some of them.

1. Two complete images created for learning purposes.
    I don't need them anymore. Neither incrementals,
    nor differentials will be created based on it.
    Placed in ASZ.
    How can I delete them or how can I cause TI is removing
    them on itself ?
    2. Before installation (a single physical disc in my system)
    I left 180GB disc space free for another purposes, like
    ASZ, more operating systems.
    The rest is occupied by one primary partition for system installation
    and one extended partition with some logical discs for documents.
    TI while creating ASZ has included the free space to extended partition
    and has placed there ASZ.
    Here my protest: while does TI interfere in my partition politics ?
    I guess, data within ASZ are not especially secure and robust
    while ASZ is placed in extended partition with other logical discs.
    TI could create for this purpose a dedicated partition !!!!!!
    3. Mapping the image to a disc letter. Any chance to achieve it
    also after system start-up (automatically) ?

2. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

The ASZ is a partition in it's own right, it stands on it's own as a separate FAT32 partition. It is efectively hidden and secure from any interference by any Windows operations and is not known to have been breached by any viruses or trojans.

The only way to delete images in the secure zone other than to wait for their removal by the designed FIFO process is to delete the zone. This should be done using the manage secure zone wizard so that the freed up space can be allocated to existing partitions.
    However leaving images in the zone will have no real impact on the rest of the system. The zone will be ignored by all windows operations, defrag programs, scans etc. It does not have a drive letter and apart from the fact that it can be seen by TI it does not exist.

When you set up the secure zone it made use of the drive space that you gave to it no more and no less.
    If you want to change it's size and reallocate space to other partitions the correct tool to use is the manage secure zone wizard.

A key part of the security of the zone is that it is not assigned a drive letter so mapping to a drive letter is not an option.

The use of a secure zone is totally optional. It has some good features and some bad. My own choice has been to use it's good features and not use the bad ones. Make up your own mind what you want.

With only one hard drive my own priority would be to bring a second one into the mix either as an external, a slave or an exchangable drive. That way you would be able to recover from a hard drive failure which I do not think you are adequately prepared for.

Xpilot

3. chrizio

chrizio Guest

Thanks for your reply.

> The ASZ is a partition in it's own right, it stands on it's own as a separate
    > FAT32 partition.
    It isn't true in my case. ASZ is placed on extended NTFS partition, together
    with some logical discs for documents. TI had done it.

> It is efectively hidden and secure from any interference by any Windows
    > operations and is not known to have been breached by any viruses or
    > trojans.
    But it is the same partition where other document discs are present too.
    I guess, it isn't completely secure this way.

> When you set up the secure zone it made use of the drive space that you
    > gave to it no more and no less.
    Actually TI had a opportunity to create for ASZ a dedicated primary partition.
    On one physical disc up to four primary partitions or up to three primary and
    one extended are possible. Before creation of ASZ I had on that drive one
    primary, one extended and rest free space.

> A key part of the security of the zone is that it is not assigned a drive
    > letter so mapping to a drive letter is not an option.
    I think while creating ASZ one have opportunity to assign that to drive letter.
    But with my question I meant rather, mapping the image to drive letter
    if using the feature "image browsing". That is based on assigning image
    to drive letter. Helpful would be the option like "map to this letter also
    on system start-up".
    From windows account with restricted privileges I'm not able to
    use TI. I'm interested mainly in feature "image browsing".
    I have German version, thus my translations above may be inexact.

> With only one hard drive my own priority would be to bring a second one
    > into the mix either as an external, a slave or an exchangable drive.
    You are right. That's no optimal solution to prevent against physical failures.
    But every further hdd in system means more power consumption and more noise. I want avoid those. That disc is just been bought.
    Planning disc capacity I considered place for images of my system installation and documents.
    Therefore if I move images to a second disc, that one will be oversized.

4. Xpilot

Xpilot Registered Member

I am sorry but I cannot help you further . Perhaps someone else will take over.
    There is plainly a language and or understanding gulf between which I am not going to try to cross.

What I have said about the structure and placement of the secure zone is factually correct. I cannot make sense of your comments.

Xpilot

5. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

You're headed the wrong way down a one way street. You will put your data at great risk if you store your data and your backups on the same drive.

I understand that you bought a new drive and you made your plans as to what each partition will contain. However, if your hard drive fails, your backups are lost as well as all your personal data--everything is lost.

If you are not satisfied with the actions of the Secure Zone, then use the Manage Secure zone option and delete it. You can re-assign its space to other partitions.

Or, if you use the Secure zone to store you backup files, you cannot reach them to copy elsewhere. You need an additional drive for archive storage. The noise is minimal. I have five drives plus two DVD drives. Noise is not an issue. The cost for a new drive (internal/external/network) is minimal for the benefits received.

Certainly, you can continue to use the Secure Zone with un-attended backups. Then, you could create an additional backups direct to an auxilliary drive.

Xpilot offered some excellent advice. The advice offered by any of us may be different than what you plan, but you asked for our comments..........

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.