I m Really new> Few questions (ATI 10.0)

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Ayush, Oct 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ayush

Ayush Registered Member

INFO : Just downloaded Acronis True Image 10.0 so setting its options before making anything.

Tools > Options :
    Source files exclusion :
    Q.1) Is it OK to skip .bak, .~, .tmp ?
    Q.2) Should i add pagefile.sys and hiberfil.sys to the list ?

Backup Priority :
    Q.3) What is the best option for me(See my system specifications below) ? I will not be using my computer at the backup time.

File level security settings :
    Q.4) What are these two options :
    Preserve files' security settings in archive
    In archives, store encrypted files in decrypted state

Media components :
    Q.5) Should i place Acronis on disk ? If yes, everything or only one option ?
    Q.6) I am using Trial, if i place it on disk and trial is over at that time, will it affect anything ?

When creating backup :
    I choose to set options manually and in compression levels :
    None : 40 minutes and size 8.263 gb
    Normal : 20 minutes and size 4.942 gb
    High : 20 minutes and size 4.323 gb
    Maximum : 40 minutes and size 4.216 gb

Q.7) Why is this :
    None takes more than Normal
    Maximum takes twice time than High and size is only little less

My system specifications :
    XP SP2
    256 mb ram
    Intel P4 2.4 ghz

2. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Files with a tilde (~) or tmp files are 'work in progress' files and shouldn't be required in your image. XP or Vista is supposed to delete them when it has finished with them - but, XP anyhow, has been not so good at this.
    bak files this depends a little on your system. If you are a programmer or have a program that automatically makes bak files as moment in time roll backs, then you might want to have these in your image.

If v10 works the same as v9 and 8, then these files are not included in the backup anyway. Don't be confused by the fact if you mount your image you will see these files listed. In the image they are what is known as a placeholder - in other words they are a marker but do not take up space. XP will automatically re-instate these files if they are missing, but as registry has information about them, it causes less of a possible problem if a file place is specifically put down for them on retrieving an image.

As you only have 256MB I would think a low priority would be the one to go for - unless you intend to do backups without trying to use the computer yourself and have very few programs that run in the background.

It might be worth fiddling with this setting, just to see if left at the default of normal, you slow evrything else down too much - or get lots of verification errors.

These settings belong to the Files and Folders option - may now include the Outlook settings as well. They have no bearing on an image file.

If you preserve the settings, it means that were you to restore some of the files or folders to another hardrive or the same hardrive where you have changed the users or user groups - the files will not be accessible, if you disable this then the files or folders can be restored into another users dirctory or another computer.

If the files were from user Gudrun's folder - then it is expected that those files are put back into user Gudrun's folder (see on Documents and Settings on your XP install) on restoration. The same goes for encrypted files if you want anyone to be able to use these files, store in a decrypted state.

Personal choice on this one, certainly talking about the trial version, I don't see much point.

See above.

When creating backup :
    I choose to set options manually and in compression levels :
    None : 40 minutes and size 8.263 gb
    Normal : 20 minutes and size 4.942 gb
    High : 20 minutes and size 4.323 gb
    Maximum : 40 minutes and size 4.216 gb

Probably the way the compression algorithm works, in conjunction with the way the file system works. I'd stick with high or normal.

Colin

3. bVolk

bVolk Registered Member

That time/compression relationship may also be due to your having a large part of the drive taken by files that are already natively compressed (pictures, music...). Those will usually not compress further, they will only take up processor time running the compressing algorythm.

4. Ayush

Ayush Registered Member

Really thanks bodgy. You answered all my questions. Many thanks.

But i cant understand one thing. What do you mean by that:
    "Personal choice on this one, certainly talking about the trial version, I don't see much point."

I cant even restore an image after the trial has expired. Please explain this...

5. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Well the fact that making a rescue CD (in the trial version) will only allow you to restore an image but make no others, I can't see why you would want to put a copy of TI on it.

If you decide to buy the full version, then you'll have to make a new rescue CD anyhow as well as uninstalling the trial version before installing the full one.

If you have the full version, then as far as I can see, the only advantage of having TI on the CD is as a backup.

By the way, I alsways recommend using a CD RW for the rescue CD - saves making lots of coasters everytime you upgrade.

Colin

6. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Ayush,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are sorry for the delayed response.

While almost all your question was answered by bodgy and bVolk I would also like to post some comments here.

Please note that Acronis True Image 10.0 Home uses two approaches for backup creation: disk(s)/partition(s) image and file-level backup.

The file-level backup archive is a file, which contains a copy of selected file(s)/folder(s) data or a copy of all information stored on selected
    disks/partitions. To create file-based backup one should choose "My Data" when using Create Backup Wizard (chapter 5.2.2 "My Data backup" in the Acronis True Image 10.0 Home User's Guide).

Backing up disks and partitions is performed in a different way: Acronis True Image stores a sector-by-sector snapshot of the disk, which includes the operating system, registry, drivers, software applications and data files, as well as system areas hidden from the user. This procedure is called “creating a disk image,” and the resulting backup archive is often called a disk/partition image.

To create disk/partition image one should choose "My Computer" when using Create Backup Wizard (chapter 5.2.1 "My Computer backup").

Backup of Windows application settings ("My Application Settings"), MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express settings and messages ("My E-mail") are file-based.

Therefore, if you are not concerned about restoration of your operating system along with all settings and applications, but plan to keep safe only certain data (the current project, for example), I would recommend to choose file-level backup. Otherwise, in order to create backup of your system for the disaster recovery purposes, I would recommend you to create disk/partition image.

You can find the detailed description of these option in Chapter 5.3.7 "File-level security settings" in the Acronis True Image 10.0 HomeUser's Guide.

Yes, you can use this option to place the standalone version of Acronis True Image on the same media (CD or DVD disc). You can also create a separate rescue disc using Acronis Bootable Rescue Media (Chapter 10. "Creating bootable media"). It is up to you to have a separate rescue disc or not. I would recommend that you use Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD on a separate disc.

Please note that the limitations of Acronis True Image 10.0 trial version are that you can only restore an image when you run the program from the bootable media. It is fully functional in Windows. The trial version evaluation period is 15 days. The Acronis True Image Bootable CD will still be able to restore the image even after the trial period is over.

As bVolk said the image creation time and image archive size are quite approximate, as different types of data allow different levels of compression and require different amounts of time to be compressed.

If you have any further questions concerning Acronis software, please feel free to submit a request for technical support or post any of them on this forum. We will certainly try to help you in resolving any issues.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.