I lost all my data… all my important data. Please help

Discussion in 'Acronis Disk Director Suite' started by John Dowling, May 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Dowling

John Dowling Registered Member

I tried Acronis Disk Director for creating a new partition and resizing the main partition of my HDD (taking the unallocated space)
    After running Acronis D D, no new partition was eventually created and apparently nothing had changed. However soon I noticed that although no files were missing, most of them were unreadable (but not all, just the most important such a several GB truecrypt volume :'( ).

All files show the correct size. Some damaged files show a slightly changed file name (e.g for a jpg: IMG_0435 (original) -> 20050308_IMG_0001 (changed)). Damaged files can’t be opened no matter they are docs, pdf, jpg, or truecrypt volumes. The strangest thing is that I found an images folder with both damaged and alright pictures, and between all there was a picture which could be opened but showed to be partially corrupted.

After the disaster, I burned into DVDs all my data, both damaged and good files, hoping someday I will find the way to recover such a big loss.

Later I tried to revert what I did by using Acronis Disk Director again, but it only got worse as now it is not possible to boot the HDD anymore.

I have tried to plug this HDD on another computer and run CHKDSK (diskletter): /r
    but Windows replied:

Cannot open volume for direct access.

If I try to access it by Explorer, I get:

F:\ is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.

I have read many similar threads reporting corrupted data caused by Acronis software (I read it too late), but didn’t find solutions.
    I therefore make one of my corrupted pictures available for download in case someone feels capable to repair it.

http://rapidshare.com/files/239417401/20060907_IMG_0006.JPG.html

Thinking Acronis may have corrupted the file system, I am considering formatting the drive and seeing if I can get the files using something like Pandora Recovery Software. Or just give a chance to NTFS Data Recovery from http://www.runtime.org/?

As in that hard drive I stored all my important data (financial, works, personal files) any suggestion on how to recover it will be much appreciated. Thanks

2. John Dowling

John Dowling Registered Member

How to recover corrupted files after making a new partition?

I tried GetDataBack for NTFS. It allowed me to access the data of the HDD, which was not accessible through explorer. But files are still corrupted, the same way they were after I tried to make a new partition.

Is there any way to recover this corrupted data?

3. Reed_Richards

Reed_Richards Registered Member

As a throwaway in your original question you mentioned TrueCrypt (which is "free open-source disk encryption software"). Encrypting a volume with a program like TrueCrypt will ruin your chances of performing normal repairs on that volume. In a way that is a good thing because it means your data encryption cannot be defeated by file recovery software (like GetDataBack). But if something really does go wrong you may have cause to regret using TrueCrypt.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.