I keep going back to Comodo Pro 3.0

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Wordward, Jan 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

Well I do. LOL. Although I wasn't happy with the recent barrage of accusations from the CEO of Comodo Group pertaining to the whole Scott Finney/Online Armor thing, I am happy with how well Comodo Pro Firewall 3.0 runs on my PC, and I think that it is currently one of the best security programs around. I also realize that it can boil down to ones tastes in security programs as far as which ones they may like, but I think all the recent criticism about the bugs CPF has is a little over hyped. There are very reputable and well known security software vendors that have made the news in recent times because their "paid" products have caused havoc on consumers PC's, and here is a free app that on my PC and many, many others runs without incidence. I have tried and actually liked several different firewalls over the past year, and as a result I can say CPF is a very good product. Does it have a few bugs? Yes, but they will be fixed, and probably faster than many of the vendors of the problematic paid apps have done in the past.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  2. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I have CPF 3 running with SAS Pro and Dr Web at the moment, and I can't even tell I have any security products running honestly, it's great!:D

3. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I just switched to CPF 3.0 from Outpost 2008. I don't know if it is that Outpost had so many problems or that CPF 3 is so good, but I just love CPF 3. I was just reading the Help file, it goes into much more detail than the Help file than outposts (I had the .pdf file) I didn't get that much out of it. Outpost 2008 is payed and CPF3 is freeware, and I think it is what Outpost should be more like.

4. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

I agree its good but it needs some fine tuning.

1. Pending files
    2. Slow GUI ( others and me suffer this in Comodo forums.
    3. Too many pop ups

5. Carver

Carver Registered Member

They are all valid points, CPF 3 is not perfect.

6. gaslad

gaslad Registered Member

The Finnie/Melih arguments are over the basic version of CFP 3, and what it does and doesn't protect.

The full version with D+ works very well for me. It is however a demanding FW, requiring a fair bit of knowledge on how to handle (and minimise) the number of pop-ups. I don't think it is for the novice. And it has yet to be evaluated by the independent leak-testers.

7. Fedorov999

Fedorov999 Registered Member

I've been a strong advocate of Kaspersky for a number of years and I still believe those Russians have the best detection and best regular (hourly) updates, however, during a clean install of Vista a couple of weeks ago, prior to putting Kaspersky back on my machine I noticed just how much faster my whole OS felt. I've since spent the last couple of weeks reading this and many other forums to find alternatives to that security suite that would lighten my resources and give me the performance I know is really there in my Vista.

I have now settled on Comodo v3(basic firewall, no D+) - I may turn D+ on in a few more days to try it out although from what I'm reading I may wait till v3.1 when they improve it to be less annoying with all those pending files.

I'm also running avast! anti-virus alongside Comodo, my machine is now running just as fast as it was when NO resident based tools were on it.

The Comodo user-interface is excellent and I find the "basic" firewall to do exactly what I need so far, light on resources, keeps my machine running beautifully. Very pleased with my new security suite :)

8. Diver

Diver Registered Member

The best I could do on Vista was Avira (free or paid) and the Vista firewall, as far as responsiveness was concerned. Vista is not all that responsive to start with.

9. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

I'm using Avira Premium (6 month trial) and Comodo 3 (defense+ disabled). I am on Vista HP and it works fine. I do not experience any slowdowns with Vista (never have) or a lack or responsiveness. My set-up prior to this was Nod32 2.7 and several different FW's. My subscription to Nod ran out around the time the Avira offer came out so I thought I would try it. I am very satisfied with the Avira/Comodo set-up.

10. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I have the same setup, I even had a 6 month trial of Avira(it was a while back). On the Comodo pro Firewall I have the Defense+ enabled, you can decrease the popup by putting the radio dot in treat as and then what ever catigory the file that caused the alert belongs to. Because that one file has to modify more than one other file. You will get to the point where the Alerts get less and less. As for the Pending files, There are only just so many files in your computer to approve, try breaking the files into groups. look first at what files you can just remove, the next the files you can move to the safe list (you can go over the list later to analize it some more if you like)

11. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

Hi Carver. Thanks for the reply! I have never used a HIPS function. I may in the future enable Comodo's and I will try your strategies if need be. Thank you.

12. Dieselman

I am sticking with Comodo after installing it on my laptop. The pending files is being addressed the makers say.

13. Joliet Jake

Joliet Jake Registered Member

Comodo v3, NOD32, BOClean. Minimum system impact.:D

The pending files thing isn't really a nuisance for me.

14. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I use Avast Home and BOClean behind a router firewall and although I think it covers most of the bases I need for security, what's written below makes me feel better about going back to CPF 3.0.

1)HIPS Engine that gives you alerts and reports (Red alert, orange alert etc). you will be hard pushed to find any malware that can infiltrate that kernel protection engine that CFP V3 has.

2)60% applies to another small piece of heuristic engine we have added (this is additional to the HIPS (kernel protection)), whereby we detected 60% of unknown malware that we get submitted for a period of time (pls bear in mind thats a lot of malware as we get huge amount of feeds from third parties and our own users). Of course as i mentioned, the problem with these kind of stats is that you can only measure what is in your possession, you don't know what you don't know. That is the basic problem with AVs, they can't detect what they don't know! so bottom line is that 60% does not relate to our HIPS engine.. it relates to a small piece of heuristic code that our guys have written that is in addition to our HIPS engine.

15. aigle

aigle Registered Member

60 % seems more of an exaggeration though!

16. Coolio10

Coolio10 Registered Member

It is 60% of the malware they created themselves. If it was a huge test for example av-comparatives it could be only 20%.

17. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I guess that it seems to be a file heuristic feature just like an AV. Am i true?

18. Coolio10

Yes. It monitors malware behaviour.

19. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I would like to see some tests to back-up the 60% score. Maybe an AV-Test.org or AV-Comparatives style test. They should compare Comodo with the latest ZA (OS) and Online Armor firewalls.

I might go back with Comodo when my Z.A.A.S. license expires in November.

20. Dieselman

I thought the same but the long pause at the welcome screen was getting to me and my Logitech gaming software would not run anymore at random times. i am happy with Comodo. I always used Comodo 2.4 before 3.0 came out.

21. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

22. Stijnson

Stijnson Registered Member

23. Coolio10

That reply is true and the only possible way to cause this. A solution is to set explorer.exe as a trusted application the first time it causes an alert to prevent this problem or comodo should do it for us. This is added security so i doubt comodo devs will make explorer.exe trusted. explorer.exe launches every application so it is dangerous to accidentally deny this. Even pressing cancel will not cause this problem so i do not see how this person managed to put "deny" and then ok without noticing

24. Wordward

Wordward Former Poster

I guess it would be kind of hard to do this to your PC, but there are other posts buried in the Comodo Fourm of people having this problem. I really like Comodo, but this worries me enough to wait for a fix before using it again. See I really do keep going back to Comodo Pro. LOL.

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Interesting that it gives false positive heuristic detection during install of Yahoo messenger( using full installer package).

Attached Files:

• a.JPG
      a.JPG
      File size:
      36.7 KB
      Views:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.