I just bought FD-ISR because of Eric and Pete!

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by flinchlock, Apr 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

You got it, I know you didn't confuse FDISR with security softwares, but it was written that way and newbies might think it IS a true security software and that would be a mistake. :D

2. besafe

besafe Registered Member

Why the name "First Defense"?

The maker of the product advertises it as a means of quickly recovering from virus attacks.

The product has it's own forum at Wilders SECURITY Forum.

So if it merits it's onw forum in a security website and it even has the name "defense" in the name, it would seem logical to consider it a security application.

I understand the logic in that it doesn't differentiate between good applications and dangerous applications. However, by that definition, sandbox programs and virtualization tools aren't security programs either.

I think we are splitting hairs and getting caught up in semantics here. But any way you look ay. FD-ISR is a great application...no matter what genre of software you place it in.

3. ErikAlbert

FDISR does NOT remove a virus on your harddisk, FDISR removes a CHANGE on your harddisk. FDISR doesn't know it removed a virus, only a scanner knows when it removed a virus.

Removing "changes" doesn't sound sensational to users, but if you tell them FDISR removes "viruses", than FDISR will sell better and the author still told the truth.
    FDISR doesn't remove a virus on your harddisk, because it is a virus, FDISR removes a virus because it is a change on your harddisk.
    That is a very BIG difference.

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  4. besafe

besafe Registered Member

I understand how FD-ISR works (mostly).

FD-ISR does not:

1. Remove viruses or spyware
    2. Prevent viruses or spyware
    3. Differentiate between goods and evil applications

However, has having FD-ISR permitted you to remove other secruity applications hasn't it? Hasn't it given you a sense of security and peace of mind while surfing?

It is clear that some don't consider System Recovery tools as part of a defense suite and others do. I am not really trying to change your mind, rather, trying to get you to acknowledge that another perspective is equally as valid as yours. I undersatand and respect why you don't consider FD-ISR to be a secureity application. Do you understand why I do?

5. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

FD-ISR has saved me several times. Not from viruses or other infestations ,but from myself. Trying a new program or just managing to lock up the system some how. Reboot into secondary,update the primary,boot back to the primary and drive on. Love it. I update the secondary about every 3rd day.

6. ErikAlbert

I use FDISR to replace my on-line snapshot with a fresh archive, that is based on an off-line installation of my on-line snapshot, but this happens only during each reboot.

The period between two reboots is still vulnerable for any infection on the internet and that's why I still need security softwares to stop the installation and execution of malware.

I don't need security softwares anymore to remove malware, because FDISR takes care of that.
    FDISR closes the holes of all my security softwares, because they are considered as "changes".

So I feel safer than I used to be along with Image Backup software, which I use when FDISR gets corrupted by a malware attack or legitimate software attack or disk crash.

I wouldn't need FDISR, if my Image Backup software was as fast as FDISR, but it isn't. I cannot restore an image in 100 seconds during reboot with the same convenience, like FDISR does.

My security is based on recovery and I use security softwares to save the day and it doesn't matter how good or bad these security softwares are, because FDISR removes all the failures of each security software.

So my security is mainly based on two non-security softwares. Isn't that ironic ?

7. besafe

besafe Registered Member

It is indeed. And that's exactly why I consider FD-ISR ot be security software. As you have pointed out, it doesn't function as a security program. But it can have a huge imapct on your security plan.

8. ErikAlbert

I can't consider Image Backup and FDISR as security softwares, because I would use both softwares even when my computer wasn't connected to the internet.

Of course I wouldn't need my real security softwares, like Anti-Executable and DefenseWall anymore.

Anti-Executable works with the same principle as my clean archived snapshot.
    Both work with a whitelist of objects, but there is a big difference.
    1. Anti-Executable has a whitelist of executables only and reacts IMMEDIATELY, when an unauthorized executable tries to install itself.

2. My clean archived snapshot has a whitelist of EACH object that is installed on my frozen snapshot and that is alot more powerful than Anti-Executable.
    Unfortunately FDISR doesn't react immediately, it only reacts on reboot and that is too late, just like scanners are too late, when they detect and remove malware.

9. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

FD-ISR from my prospective CANNOT or should not be considered a replacement for any security program even though others definitely COULD if they wanted, use it strictly for that purpose, because it CAN & DOES remove viruses and malware, even rootkits by replacing an affected snapshot with a Copy/Update, "BUT" it's obvious if it was used in that manner the user would never enjoy time on the internet for very long because you would be Copy/Updating endlessly or at least very often due to so many malicious carriers in the wild. From that standpoint it's easy to determine that FD-ISR IS NOT beneficial for such practices. Even the FREEZE snapshot would be subject to constant use if that was the case.

What you will find beneficial and time saving for practice is running your normal compliment of security programs such as HIPS/AV/AS and so forth while your active snapshot is virtualized under the protective cover of Power Shadow. Sandboxie comes to mind also. Then and only then if anything has deviously been clever enough to circumvent your front-line shieldings to the point of having successfully interacted with your system you can CONFIDENTLY turn to FD-ISR and deal with that compromised snapshot and return it to it's original clean state.

FD-ISR is THE most versatile and effective program of it's kind for rescuing a system from itself as well as from any forced intrusion which might have happened to enter it's way into your system provided your security programs have alerted you to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.