I haven't changed a thing!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Page42, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I bought it in two stages, discounted older edition, then after using it a while and seeing I liked it, the latest 2011 edition upgrade. So I paid $50 total, it may be cheaper somewhere.

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

for 1 pc?

3. justenough

I use it on 1 pc, not sure what the limit is. Here you go: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/
    I also like the scheduled backups for folders, and it has real-time backups, too.

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

nice thanks;) is it like rollbackRS?

5. justenough

Sorry, not familiar with that program.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

no problem mate:)

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Thanks for bringing up Acronis True Image, justenough.
    I have been a believer and user of that product since 2004!
    I see I can upgrade my old version (v9.0) to 2011 for only $29.99.

Only thing holding me back is the learning curve on the new version (which probably isn't too steep), but will still take more effort than the easy back up routine I currently have in place.

I've been spending less time online lately... getting more things none in the 3-D world... and that always seems to be a factor for me when I contemplate trying new software and changing things around.

Right now, I have a productive set up.
    I get work done AND I recreate with these machines as is, without having to constantly massage some new configuration.

It's scary, really, how well everything is running on my computers.

8. justenough

I tried 3 other imaging programs, Acronis worked the best on my computer. Probably because it was easy for me to understand, or as they say, intuitive, so I didn't make mistakes setting it up. Having a system image and automatic data backup on a second hard drive takes the pressure off the rest of the security setup, so it was a worthwhile investment.

So back to the topic at hand, for me what won't change any time soon are imaging, sandboxing and, since I now have a 4 year license, behavior blocking with Mamutu. And on-demand scanning with MBAM and Hitman Pro.

9. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I've been using the same combination of security apps since 2006.

10. Jav

Jav Guest

Sitting in a bunker, behind your wall, waiting for the worms to come.?
    :p

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

system safety monitor maybe?

12. Creer

Creer Registered Member

No, RollbackRx is IRS, ATI is image backup software.

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks creer:D

14. malexous

malexous Registered Member

I have only started an interest in computer security in the last year. Since then, until I turned to my current set-up, the only software that have changed have been the on-demand scanners. (Edit: And it must be when I started using Sandboxie.) I went through combinations of SAS, MBAM, Hitman Pro and Spybot S&D (laid to rest for good).

It's a shame that my current set-up suits my current computer habits so well as I really miss Norton and we have over 500 days on two subscriptions. At least, one family member will get use out of them.

The last significant change was over two months ago when I enabled SEHOP and started using VirusTotal Uploader.

15. noone_particular

System Safety Monitor is my bunker. Kerio 2.1.5 is the wall. Proxomitron completes the package as a web content filter. The same 3 enforce a default-deny policy on 3 different PCs. None of them have or need an AV. I see no reason to switch or try something else when the package I'm using has never let me down. Even on the oldest hardware, this package is very light with no loss of performance. I have system backups for all of the Windows systems but have never had to use them because of malware.

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i knew it noone_particular;) :) :thumb:

17. noone_particular

There's very little to be gained by regularly switching security apps. Test results don't tell you which is best. Depending on the specific malware chosen for the testing, AV tests can me made to say anything the tester wants it to. Leaktests are an even bigger joke. You or your security package are expected to allow an unknown process to run, but then block its activities or determine which ones are actually necessary. What legitimate applications would you treat in this fashion? I'm really surprised that no one has released some nasty malware disguised as a leaktest. Trying to always have the "latest and greatest" is committing yourself to remaining in an ongoing arms race. Todays greatest is tomorrows target. Whenever something becomes popular or common in usage, someone finds a way to exploit it, after which it's the same repeating story, penetrate or exploit, patch, repeat. How many years do we have to go down this road, using the same flawed philosophy? Default-permit based policies can not be made secure, period. If unknown code can run, it will eventually succeed in defeating whatever security measures are in place. In spite of their claims, Microsoft operating system can still be rootkitted. In spite of all the hype, Google's "secure" browser is being patched, just like everything else. As long as security policies are default-permit based and unskilled users have administrative access, nothing will change in the long term. I've often wondered if these people who are always changing security apps start over with clean images or if they just keep installing and uninstalling, and fill their systems and registries with a lot of excess junk and remnants

Default-deny has been around almost as long as computers have. It's the viable option the industry doesn't talk about. They won't promote it because it's bad for their bottom line and eliminates your dependence on them. Exploitable vulnerabilities aren't very scary if a malicious payload delivered thru them can't execute. A new rootkit isn't a threat if it can't install. A keylogger that can't run can't steal your data. With default-deny, it's no longer important to detect and/or identify all the malicious code. You don't have to wonder if your AV will detect a commercial (or government) keylogger. It's no longer necessary to patch every possible hole or immediately update an app as soon as a flaw is found. With default-deny, you can use older hardware, software, and operating systems, and upgrade when you want to or when you need something more powerful, instead of when big money tells you to.

For all practical purposes, time and money are one and the same. You can spend some time learning how your system works and what it takes to secure it, or you can spend that time on some thankless job, earning money to continuously pay someone else to do it for you, then hope that they actually do it.

18. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

So, has it been a long time since you changed a major, real-time component in your set up? ;)

19. noone_particular

The last security app I tried was Sandboxie. That was on a Win2K unit I set up for that purpose. I wanted to see how well it worked as an attack surface isolation layer. I eventaully decided that I didn't need it, although it worked quite well. The rest of the security apps and the security policy they enforce haven't changed. A while back, I did pick up a more powerful PC with XP pro. I promptly stripped it down, made it dual boot, and added the same security setup the others have. Occasionally I'll try a new piece of software. It first gets tried in a virtual system, then on a test PC. If I decide to keep it, I make a full system backup before installing it on my primary PC. Too many apps assume that they're the default handler for whatever file types they can open, even if you have something else set as default. Patches and system updates have a way of changing settings as well. Got tired of that game a long time ago. Now I seldom update apps or the OS itself unless a new version has some feature I want.

20. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Very well thought out and written. I also agree.

21. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

noone-particular,
    Thanks for your great posts. What version of SSM are you using and thanks.

Also, I am wondering if I could still run SSM on my Vista 32bit machine?

Gary

22. noone_particular

Depending on which OS I'm using, I use both the free version 2.0.8.583 and paid version 2.4.0.622. Those are the last stable versions, though 2.4 is listed as beta due to the beginning of Vista support. Unfortuantely Vista SP1 breaks SSM. For all practical purposes, SSM is for XP and older systems.

23. Fad

Fad Registered Member

I don`t change that much, but do like to keep up to date with the developments in new products - otherwise I`d still be stuck with SpyBotS&D.

Been happy & clean for some time now with just PrevX, Look `n` Stop and Macrium as permanent fixtures, but will always try out new things (mostly recommended from here) ;)

24. risl

risl Registered Member

Used Dr.Web since 2007 from version 4.33. Haven't changed anything, only upgraded it recently to the pro version that includes a firewall.

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am impressed. I am really liking version 6. Dr web has done a very good job compared to older versions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.