I haven't changed a thing!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Page42, Sep 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ruinebabine

ruinebabine Registered Member

My take on this is that it's more healthy for your system to change it's suspanders from time to time, at least, even if only for not stinkin' too much!

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Since 2005 I have added virtualization. My biggest change has been towards backing up my systems in a reliable way, so that no matters what happens, within minutes I can restore a working system without any loss of data or time.

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Different people have different reasons/factors/motivation for the frequent setup change. Some do it out of the 'kick' they get out of doing so - it becomes a passion/hobby for them...Some others do it out of the fear of being 'vulnerable'...while some others do it for 'comparison' purposes...finding out which app is 'better' than the other.

I am one of those who fall into the category of those who do it to merely fulfill/satisfy their curiosity of finding out what/which approach suits them best...

I change my setup sparingly (meaning to say one thing at a time) and only after thoughtful consideration as to what benefits a particular setup brings. Since it's normal to see 'overlapping' areas when trying out a multi-layered approach, I have to re-consider my setup once in a while with the aim of reducing the redundancy. And to make sure that I've not fallen into the paranoia trap (which is rather easy to fall into unfortunately)

I have found my personal 'comfort zone' a number of times and have sticked to them for some time. However, there do come times when I find a need to "improve" upon things - it need not necessarily be in terms of prevention/detection but rather compatibility, usability and performance impact.

It's all about finding/searching for the most suitable setup for the individual self. Only when you explore, would you find a new world , and even perhaps a "new you".;)

4. moontan

moontan Registered Member

things i've tried in the last year:

Geswall Pro (paid): a keeper and still part of my defense
    Online Armour Pro (paid) : pretty damn good, until i got fed up playing "whack-a-mole" with the Allow/Deny buttons.
    Prevx (paid for a 3 years license): pretty good but some minor incompatibility problems made me stop using it.
    Sandboxie Pro (paid): good but more complicated to use than Geswall or Defensewall
    Winpatrol Plus (paid): stopped using it because i was only using it to manage startup programs.
    Zemana (paid): seems excellent but uninstalled it because i don't see me spendind 40$ every year to use it.
    MBAM (free): still part of my setup
    Windows 7 Firewall Control (free): easy to use and still part of my setup
    No-Script for Firefox: spent more time figuring and tuning this sucker than using the Internet. Dropped it like the hot turd it was.
    Defensewall (trial): i hesitated a long time between that and Geswall. i might have bought it if i didn't already paid for Geswall.
    MSE: very good but drags files and folders daily use.
    Avast 5 free: much faster than MSE but still, i don't want to rely on signature based defense.
    Windows 7 built in Imaging: better than similar paid programs.
    it has never failed in over 50 imaging and restore so far.
    Trusteer Rapport (free): seems like a good concept. might re-install it soon for online banking.

and more stuff that i'm forgeting right now.

5. TonyW

TonyW Registered Member

I haven't changed my computer security setup, but have endeavoured to engage my brain more. ;)

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i will be keeping PE Guard and hitman pro for sure as my system run way faster with this 2 onboard;)

7. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Excellent idea! Many of us are following that brain engagement path... I hope. :cool:

I noted that it has been 4½ months since I took ZoneAlarm Pro off my machines and installed Online Armor.

Prior to that, I had used ZAP since 2002, and before that, ZA Free since I don't know when... I'm pretty sure I used ZA back on Win95 when it (Win95) first came out. ZA might as well have been known as Little Firewall On the Prairie... it was that popular. But these days, my computers run much better with Online Armor on them.

MBAM Pro was added as real-time protection 8 months ago. It is a solid, set-and-forget program.

And I've had avast! onboard for 3 years and 4 months. With its behavior shield and heuristics engine, it is much more than a signature-based AV.

I'm impressed by the number of members who have used their security set ups for a long time. I don't think this is a matter of allowing investigation to cease. I think it is more a matter of resisting the urge (that many of us have) to rip one program off the computer and install a new one in its place. But I hasten to add, I don't think it is wrong to be a software junkie. It's quite alot of fun... plus many of us "longevity nuts" benefit from the experimenting they carry out.

I just like hearing about the side that tends to stay with what works for them. :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  8. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

Great point there...common_sense_RC.exe is an important part for any security enthusiast.

9. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

"Engaging your brain?"

Does that tell ya to keep away from dodgy sites and don't deliberately download/run malware, yep I think it does.

Well in that case I've been brainless for a several years now. :D

10. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

AV: Since Panda Cloud 1.0 was released I have not made any changes

Firewall: I have been using Windows Firewall till I wanted some more control.

DNS: DNS has always been the ISP till I learned about ClearCloud and I will be keeping that for a while if everything stays fine with it.

Anti-Spyware: I used MBAM for 6 months then decided to go back to basic Windows Defender

So the only time I would really change is if I get some really good deal on some software or something really good comes out and is worth it.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

I'm constantly rotating apps. Right now i'm with avast! 5 and Kaspersky 2010.
    Then i'm with MSE for a while and CIS. Sometimes i throw ThreatFire into the mix. Haven't tried AVG or AVIRA for quite long now.

12. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Rotating security apps is exactly what i been utilizing for years with top success for the most part. If a security app (after my own thorough testings) doesn't completely satisfy expectations or resource conflicts arise, it's but a simple matter to reinstate your own particular security array as it was before.

Even so, just to keep badware from zeroing in (if it's confirmed a definite), you simply add and/or replace with another shielding method to keep them off balance.

EASTER

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I've had a big change lately in terms of my first line of defense: Sandboxie. I have for years always been browsing with either ShadowUser Pro and Shadow Defender. Sandboxie has changed that, and I only use Shadow Defender when I have to deal with CDs, DVDs, and Flash drives from other people.

I don't really believe my brain can help me in defusing instances of infections, apart from the classic "don't allow anything suspicious". I prefer to rely on images of my OSs, and I know for sure I will never ever use HIPS applications again.

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

osaban even with sandboxie you can protect devices such as usb etc etc just add it to the sandbox,and yes imagine software is very cool man;) and about hips i love them man despite the pop ups alerts;)

15. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

jmonge,
    I know Sandboxie can protect devices by forcing them into sandboxes, but I found it impractical from my point of view as most of the times I use my own devices which don't need any sandbox.

Please don't take offense about my not using HIPS again. I had the full version of ProcessGuard. After DiamondCS's demise, I realized that all of the blue screens and occasional aborted startups were due to PG. I had Comodo for a while and liked it, but in the end HIPS can benefit people who have a great knowledge of their computer processes which has never been my case. This thread is about behavioural patterns in conjunction with defense strategies, HIPS is one approach, in my experience, that hasn't given any significant results.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  16. cp4eva

cp4eva Registered Member

With the exception of giving Comodo IS v4 a spin for a week or so, I've not changed my current set-up for over a year.

17. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi EASTER, so you think that switching up keeps them off balance, huh? I hadn't thought about it that way. Do you mean like the same way someone changes their passwords every so often, so as to keep things fresh? I'm trying to get to the thinking behind it. Are you saying that "they" (the badware) might eventually breach the gates if you don't add or replace security measures from time to time? Please elaborate. Because that would tend to make guys who stick with a given set up for long periods of time more vulnerable. Just interested in your thoughts, man. :)

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

no problem man no hard feelings:) i also like your security aproach and ideas:thumb:

19. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Hi Osaban, this thread, I'd say, is mainly about members who have tended to stay with a given security set up for a protracted period of time... and what they have found that works or doesn't work as a result of all that lengthy experience. Like you changing after years to Sandboxie. That gets my attention, quite honestly. And when you say, "I know for sure I will never ever use HIPS applications again", that really gets my attention, because I feel differently, and unlike some folks, I appreciate the many differences we all share here at Wilders! So hearing how adamant you are about never using them is always going to spark my curiosity.

Edit: spelling ;)

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  20. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Page42,

It is an interesting thread, as you mentioned there are people who don't change much (my case) and people who change continuously (I'd say as a hobby).

If I had to summarize my existence at Wilders I 'd say that I went through the following phases in chronological order (call them 'manias'):

Antivirus - HIPS - Virtualization - No Antivirus - Antivirus again - Image backup - Sandboxing.

What has remained in order of importance (given my experience):

Image backup - Sandboxing - Virtualization - Antivirus.

21. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Image backup is a must;) for sure

22. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

What it is?
    Your current set up, I mean?
    You must be well satisfied to keep it in place for over a year (excepting the Comodo fling). :)

23. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

image program is like a needed blanket for the cold winter man;)

24. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Two days ago I thought I had settled on a nice combination, and then got the urge again to change things around. My problem is wanting both complete security and lightweight, least impact security. The last couple of posts about imaging are probably the solution that solves that contradiction, and why I invested recently in Acronis True Image. So that won't be changing any time soon, imaging along with sandboxing.

25. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

nice and well done man;) is that program expensive?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.