I have Wild Tangent....

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Holly3278, Jul 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holly3278

Holly3278 Registered Member

Hi everyone. For some reason, AOL Instant Messenger felt that it should install Wild Tangent on my computer which Spybot Search and Destroy identified as Spyware. I just noticed though that it even has it's own entry in the Control Panel. Is Wild Tangent a dangerous spyware or is it harmless? I mean, it's not going to record my passwords and stuff is it? Do I really even need it? If not, how can I permanently get rid of it?

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

There is a discussion on Wild Tangent here.

3. Holly3278

Hi Ronjor. I've already looked at that thread earlier. I just want this thing off my computer.

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

The vendor offers uninstall directions.

Uninstall

To remove the Web Driver, and associated software, please do the following:

1. Open Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs
    2. Select the WildTangent Web Driver
    3. Click Remove
    4. Select the WildTangent Updater
    5. Click Remove
    6. Select the WildTangent GameChannel
    7. Click Remove
    8. Reboot
    9. After uninstallation, open your Windows directory, and delete the wt folder
    10. Delete the c:\program Files\WildTangent directory

If you manually deleted the folders prior to uninstalling the software, you will need to reinstall the Web Driver with Gamechannel, then follow the instructions above. You can find the Web Driver with Gamechannel installer at: http://www.wildtangent.com/default.asp?pageID=webdriver_download

Please Note: If the Wildtangent Control Panel icon still appears in the Windows Control Panel, you may need to search your computer's hard drive for any occurance of the files "wtcpl.dll" and "wtcpl.cpl" and remove it. This occassionally occurs when an older version of the Web driver was partially removed.

To remove a game, please follow the instructions below

1. Open the Windows Control Panel, and select the "Add/remove programs" icon. (Start -> Settings -> Control Panel)
    2. Locate the game you wish to remove in the list, and select it.
    3. Click Remove (or Change/Remove)

Last edited: Jul 27, 2004
  5. Holly3278

Well, I finally got rid of Wild Tangent. I had gotten rid of Wild Tangent itself before I posted this message. But mainly when I posted here I was trying to figure out how to get rid of the Wild Tangent Control Panel icon in my Control Panel. I guess I should have been more specific. Anyway, I posted a thread about this in another forum that I visited and I finally figured out that I had to search for wtcpl.cpl files and delete them. I had read where you should search for wtcpl.dll files but never for wtcpl.cpl files. When I found all those files and deleted them, the icon thankfully went away. Just thought I'd let you all know that I have my problem solved. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.