I have to get a viable backup HELP

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dlk30341, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dlk30341

dlk30341 Registered Member

I backed up all 3 of my HD's last night and validated.

Now then, I went to check on the restore feature and this is what I get:

"this is not the last created volume of the backup archives - Please insert the last created volume to start working"

I did the backup & choose files & folders, this was a clean HD, no prior backups.

This is the 3rd time I've had an unsuccessful backup...WTH is going ono_O I HAVE TO BACKUP:mad:

Thanks

2. dld

dld Registered Member

More details on your setup would be helpful. Are these three HDs on the same computer?

Don't you think you should be backing up The Entire Disk Contents? You have to do that if you want your system C: disk to be bootable. If your other two disks are data disks, they could be backed up separately, possibly using something other than TI.

3. dlk30341

I have 3 internal HDs.....backing up files & folders only a Maxtor 300GB external.

I have another external that I use for ghosting purposes.

Using Acronistrueimage Home V.9.3567 - thats the only version installed.

Why would I want to use something else to backup data files...Acronis says it can do this, so I expect it to do so.

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  4. dld

dld Registered Member

Try installing the latest version of TI which is TI 9.0.3633. It is best to uninstall the previous version before doing this.

5. dlk30341

Will do :)

6. dld

dld Registered Member

Can you not back up using The Entire Disk Contents even for you data disks? I'm using TI 9.0.3633. I tried backing up a specific file and ended up with a corrupt file. I don't think it's worth the bother to get Acronis to fix the problem when I can just as easily back up the entire disk.

7. corinthian

corinthian Registered Member

Dld, I'm curious. As a Newby to TI9, how do you know you got a corrupt file? Were you told this by TI during the validation process after backup? Or did you discover it by accident after you restored, or tried to restore, the file? Also, do you have any problems restoring individual files from a full disk image?
    Thanks,

Bill

8. dld

dld Registered Member

This happened in the last few days actually. If I remember correctly what happened is the following. Rather than restore the entire disk I chose to restore a specific file, which is something I should be able to do using TI 9.0.3633. Once the restore was complete I got an Acronis warning telling me that the file was corrupt. So what I said previously was not correct. I did not try to backup a specific file and then try to restore that file. What I did was try to restore a specific file from a full disk backup, choosing the option shown here:

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/5972/screenshot0017xo.jpg

9. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

It should work, I just restored a single jpg from an image backup. Did you try Mounting the image and copying the file from the mounted image? There seems to be 2 ways of doing the same thing as far as images go although the Mounting trick certainly is better for browsing.

I would also run chkdsk X: /r on the partition the backup was made from. Substitute its drive letter for X. C will require a reboot.

10. Bruce Mahnke

Bruce Mahnke Registered Member

Reading the response, #8 by dld I decided to try it also. Using TI9 build 3633. Following his keystrokes I attempted to recover a folder from an existing archive. Received the same error about corruption. To make it worse verifying the the existing *.tib archive it now reports that it is corrupt. It should be noted that previously it has verified as OK and I have restored from it. There is something wrong here.

The approach given by seekforever (#9) to mount the image and copy a file from it works well.

11. dld

dld Registered Member

I tried to recreate the same scenario. I restored a specific file (544 MB) from a full disk backup. The file is Celestia, a real-time 3D space simulation. This time however the error I get is not from Acronis. The error occurs when I try to delete that restored file:

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5586/screenshot0022vr.jpg

This is not an Acronis error message, but rather a Windows error message. The point is the file is corrupt and, for that reason, cannot be deleted.

I did try mounting the image and copying the file from the mounted image. Problem is, with a file this size, copying becomes a very long process and subject to a lot of fragmentation. Moving is preferable, but then Acronis would want to replace the moved file by doing an incremental backup. Not the best of solutions.

BTW, ran chkdsk S: /r, S being my slave drive on which are 3 full disk images. Checked out O.K.

I also verified the backup archive using Acronis Archive Verification Tool. Verified O.K.

12. dlk30341

I really give up..this is a nightmare from hell:mad:

Got the lastest update as suggested. I decided to change my approach this time & do each drive indiiv. drive as it's own .tib.

The 1first drive I choose backed up/validated & was able to see the files thru recovery. That's great.

Now I go to backup 2nd drive...well oh joy, that finished oh but wait...could not validate or recover...I got the same message as in my original post.

I have wasted this whole day & still don't have a backup!!!!!:rolleyes: :mad:

So now...I've gone back reformatted Ext. HD for about the 6th time & gonna go back to my original way...of choosing all 3 under 1 .tib

Cripes...what does it take to just back up data/file folders.....This is insanityo_O o_O

If it doesn't work this time...I'll just drag & drop onto external...it's critical I get a valid update.

FYI I am backup ENTIRE contents...just choosing the files/folders options

13. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Have you run chkdsk X: /r on the external drive you are backing up to? You did mention in your next post you did a copy of 1 disk OK but the second one was bad. I guess I could say did you run chkdsk /r on everything in play?

Have you looked in the Windows Event Viewer logs, particularly the system log, for anything indicating a problem with accessing your external drive or other disks.

Moving a file is not different from copying a file. A move is just the copy mechanism with a "delete the original" added after the copy is done.

14. dlk30341

The external is fine. My last attempt started giving me errors on certain files that was not appearing before this latest update I did. It was refusing to back up .objs(my puter is used for graphics)...I hit cancel & got the blue screen of death.

Anyway...I'm done with this BS...I'm just doing a straight a copy via drag n drop.....I have wasted too much time with this crap & I'm irate at this point.

Each time I've started a new backup I've reformated the Ext. HD...I did NOT have this problem with a free version of Dantz Retrospect v1.0 for cryin out loud!!!!!! guess I'll go back to that:mad:

All I want is a simple duplicate function...how hard is ito_O??

My ghost is over 1 year old using Acronis v8(c Drive only)...I will not reghost till these issues are worked out.

With backup software...there is no room after release for beta testing PERIOD!!!! Backups are crucial! IMHO the software should be tested until the programmers eyes bleed if necessary! No excuse for releasing buggy backup software...PERIOD!!!!!

Anyway back to drag n drop to my external...10x faster & more reliable.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

15. dld

dld Registered Member

It depends if you are copying files on the same drive or copying files from one drive to a different drive.

To copy my Celestia file (544 MB) from the root directory of C: to My Documents in C: takes 5min23sec.

Moving the same file from the root directory of C: to My Documents in C: is instantaneous. My understanding is that File Management just resets a pointer and it's done.

To copy the same file from a virtual mounted drive to the root directory of C: takes 3min02sec.

To restore the same file from an Acronis drive image to the root directory of C: results in a corrupted file in C.

16. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dlk30341,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Could you please check all your hard drives (including the external one) for errors?

- Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    - Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r"
    where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that
    checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

After that please create Acronis True Image Bootable Rescue CD and try to create image archive when booted from this CD. Could you please use "The entire disk or individual partitions" instead of "Files and folders" option for each of you hard drives? Please find the step-by-step instructions how to perform this in Chapter 5.2 "Backing up disks and partitions (image backup)" in the Acronis True Image 9.0 Home User Guide.

If the issue persists, please Please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. After that please Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Aleksandr Isakov

17. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.