I have just dodged a bullet.

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by HiSpeedV, Jan 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiSpeedV

HiSpeedV Registered Member

Today, I got hit hard by CoolWebSearch. The reason I got hit because I downloaded and installed a software called Index.DAT Viewer. I didn't know that it was associated with CoolWebSearch. However, the instant that my start & search pages were about to change, and you should have seen these wonderful security softwares at work, they zoomed in on the CoolWebSearch without mercy. These softwares activated themselves like Christmas tree to ensure that my system was not infected.

The following softwares that helped me dodged the bullet effectively are as follows:

RegProt
    Spyware Guard
    StartUp Guard
    System Safety Monitor

These developers are not only developed great security softwares, but they are unselfishly distributed their great softwares for the general public to use.

Please, accept my deepest thanks. You guys/gals developed great security softwares.

The fun did not end at detecting CoolWebSearch. It gave such gratifying feeling to see the cleaners at work.

The following softwares that helped keeping my system cleaned are as follows:

CoolWebShredder
    HijackThis
    Spybot Search and Destory

These three developers are great and unselfish when it comes to security. Please, accept my warmest thanks. You guys/gals are an unexceptional bunch.

Maybe we can together and have a beer to congratulate you for a job well done. :D.

Sincere,

HiSpeedV.

P.S.: One can never be too careful. Name can be deceiving.

2. NeonWizard

NeonWizard Registered Member

Thanks for all the software name. I will try those myself.

3. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

We have had the same problem with that pest here

http://forums.techguy.org/showthread.php?s=&postid=1425244#post1425244

we couldn't work out what was causing the cews to be reinstalled

do NOT downlaod this index.dat viewer from hxxp://www.exits.ro/index-dat-viewer.html

in fact I would recommend putting the entire hxxp://www.exits.ro site in your restricted sites zone so you cannot download from it.

Disabled the links. That IS cr@p - Pieter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.