I have a Virus!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by whitedragon551, Aug 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Ok I have Comodo Firewall and Avira Antivir Premium. I also have MBAM and Spyware Blaster. Somehow I got a virus or something. My Paypal account was hacked into and someone tried to send themselves $208 to some company named Moniker. Today my Facebook was activated and its been deactivated for over 6 months.

Ive completely whipped my wifes laptop HD. Hers doesnt have as much as mine does. Now I have completely scanned my HD with Avira and MBAM and made sure Spyware Blaster was up to date and nothing was found. I also checked Comodo and there are no unrecognized programs in the list of exceptions.

Anything else I can do to make sure nothing is here?

2. Fly

Fly Registered Member

You didn't find a piece of malware on either computer ?
    I'm no expert. But I suppose identity theft (which seems to be the case) is possible without any infection(s) on your computer.
    I'm certainly no expert about identity theft, so I can't give you better advice than to take this very seriously, and that more issues may come up.
    Change passwords, keep an eye on your credit card statements etc.

If you are concerned that some malware still resides on your two computers, the safest thing is to just reformat, or better, use something like DBAN first.
    If you have a known clean image, good, install that afterwards. Keep an eye on stuff that may be hidden in partitions and bad sectors, but usually removing the partitions will work.
    If you don't want to go that far, you can try Avira boot CD, Dr Web live CD, you can try VIPRE or Counterspy (VIPRE may clash with your AV) and some others. I understand PrevX is free for scanning, but malware removal is paid.

Combofix comes to mind, but that's a tool for experts. Bleepingcomputer.com and other specialized websites for computer/malware problems may be able to help you.

3. whitedragon551

I didnt find anything on mine. I dont know if anything was on heres. I wiped hers right away without wasting the time. Hers was easy. She only requires Office, Firefox, and her security software.

I dont want to reformat. I have hundreds of tweaks to do and softwares to install. Plus themes, configuring software, and updates.

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

You could try Prevx with heuristics set to high, and HitMan Pro. Otherwise in your situation, I would reformat.

5. whitedragon551

Well Hijackthis didnt pick up anything. Ill run Combofix and PrevX and see. I dont know if they are related. I know for a fact that it wasnt identity theft. Both instances have been online only means.

Well no Combo fix. I have Vista. Its imcompatible.

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

You could have been the victim of a phishing attack. How knowledgeable are you, and your wife on these issues. Is it possible one of you filled out an online form, and gave your info to someone. If they only got your e-mail account info then they would possibly have a lot to work with.

7. whitedragon551

It wouldnt happen.

8. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And? Have you tried the 2 programs I recomended.:)

9. whitedragon551

Prevx 3.0 said it was clean. In the process of Hitman.

10. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Then if HP doesnt hit anything, whatever did it, no longer resides on your PC. There just isnt any malware on it. I would not reformat either. But I would look at securing my surfing habits. Something like ShadowDefender that deletes all on reboot.

I mean think about it. You have used some of the strongest anti-malware programs out there and they come back clean. Logic should say, it isnt on my PC now but it did happen, so somewhere I let down my guard. I mean you had a pretty good damn setup to start with. So it goes back to the user and not the software. Not busting your chops just trying to make sure that you understand the logic behind this and it was, a costly mistake you dont want to happen again. Something caused it.

11. whitedragon551

HP is clean as well. I guess I start changing passwords and delete cookies.

12. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I am so damn glad Wilders does not allow for malware links for testing to be posted. We end up with someone with a Virtual PC saying this nasty really does harm. Of course for them a simple click and it is gone.

But then you have some puffer who thinks his new setup is invincible, but is not in a virtual program and they go for it. Guess what, they get hit and dont even know it because their security did not even detect it. But their damn bank account did next month.

Please be careful folks and use some common sense.

13. whitedragon551

I already alerted my bank and Paypal.

14. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well hopefully all works out for you. I guess the saying that nothing can protect you 100 percent is right. But really, dont blame or bail, on your intial setup, it is good. You may want to add something like Returnil or Sandboxie or ShadowDefender.

15. whitedragon551

I like Returnil. Its the only one that lists system requirements to run. Its incompatible with x64 though.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  16. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Where did this come from? o_O

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

you know how someone may post a link to a rogue site to show how their software detected it. Which is cool no matter what you use in you can boot to restore. But some, like me, have thought my setup would work so I try and well, it didnt work. I am just saying that like the author of this thread, you really have to be careful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.