I have 40+ viruses and ESET wont delete them...

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by I_need_help, Jul 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I_need_help

I_need_help Registered Member

I'm about to give up, I'm dying here. Perhaps there's too many viruses for ESET to handle? It probably is too simple to take on that many. I've tried rebooting the computer and operating in safe mode, then using ESET, but the product doesn't even exist in safe mode! (as do many others)

The worst part is the fact that many other so called "antivirus" programs are annoying the heck out of me, they keep popping in again and again to warn me with the damn viruses, I mean my goodness I want to kill the guys who made Anitvirus program 2008, which doesn't let me enter any browser every other time.

I swear, I just want to scream and swear and kill myself, I think the main thing, before deleting the viruses, is deleting all these other damn things like SpyGuarder and whatever, but I cant find out where I'm supposed to delete them!

Yeah I know, no one is gonna be able to help me now... Might as well throw away 800 dollars or so for a new desktop... maybe a new moniter even b/c that's probably infected by now

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I'd suggest that you carry on as follows:
    1, boot to safe mode and run ecls.exe to find and remove all threats it finds
    2, after booting to normal mode, send a log from ESET SysInspector to samples[at]eset.com with this thread's url in the subject

3. Bucksnort

Bucksnort Registered Member

You need a reformat if you have that much crap then your system will never be right until you wipe it clean.

4. Wi11iam

Wi11iam Registered Member

As Bucksnort said...

How do you manage to get so many viruses :eek:

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I completely disagree. I've never used the reformat method and I've cleaned hundreds of machines.

Some take longer than others yes, but I've never worked on a computer that was so infected I only had the option to reformat. I cleaned a computer one time that had over 1000 different infections ranging from trojans, viruses, adware, etc. So bad that it wouldn't boot except to safe mode.
    I still managed to get it back to working condition with a little effort.

There are always options better than losing all your data with a reformat.
    IMHO

6. Wi11iam

I think if your gonna spend days thinking about how to solve an issue its pointless, format and reinstall in around 2 hours.

As long as you have a clean backup drive :)

7. Capp

Capp Registered Member

That might be a good idea if you don't have much on the system or its fairly new. But for people that have computers like I do that are quite a bit older, even with hardware upgrades, I have a ton of stuff on there that I don't want to risk losing. I do nightly backups and even keep them on remote servers, plus a NAS on my home network, but I have a ton of programs installed that I no longer have the install for. Plus all the years of configurations, tweaking and adjusting to get it exactly like I want it.
    In instances like those, i'm glad I have imaging software, but not everyone does.

I still think a re-format should only be the option if you absolutely cannot boot into Windows at all, even with a recovery disk. Then, by all means. But if there is a chance of saving yourself a ton of time getting it back just the way you had it, go for it.

Plus, system clean-ups are really easy, just a bit intensive and that is only because it takes awhile for the necessary tools to do their thing.

8. I_need_help

see the thing is, the computer is relatively new, and what makes me want to bang my head against the wall is:

My old computer was already infected by spyware. It was alright (not really) since it was pretty old and needed a change anyway. Now I got this new beautiful desktop that doesnt make a sound, and what do I do? I go and infect it with spyware and viruses and whatever after a mere week of use. I wanted to put my head down and sob for a couple of hours at my stupidity.

At least you can be sure that now I'm never, ever clicking on a link in a forum again, no matter how funny the joke or picture it may allegedly contain.

I dont even know (or rather, dont want to think) what the problem is anymore, and if I cant get a tech man to fix it, then I'll just have to get another computer, preferably the exact same model (I mean, before I so naively and stupidly wrecked it, my computer had 70 GB of memory!! And as mentioned, it was so quite I was quite scared in the beginning that something was wrong, as I was so used the loud drill-humming of my old desktop) so hopefully I'll have enough money.

I mean... we all make mistakes right? :(

9. Capp

Capp Registered Member

You definitely don't need to resort to buying a new computer. It can be fixed.

If it really is brand new and you have nothing of value on there, just format and reinstall with the recovery disk you (surely) got when you bought it. That will put it back to the way it was before you got it all messed up.

If you lived in the DFW metroplex here in Texas, I'd fix it for you a lot cheaper than the big name companies do. But alas, you may end up having to find someone to do it for you if you don't feel confident enough to do it yourself.

But, please save your cash and don't go buy a new one over this. Its an easy fix.

10. Wi11iam

Yea i do agree that formatting is the last resort, but...

I do think that the op needs to put some sort of restrictions on his PC, as having 40+ viruses on it seems a bit screwed up.

I wouldn't trust the machine to do any personal stuff on it, banking etc. Even if i did clean it i wouldn't trust it without a format.

Maybe I'm just be anal :blink:

hehe

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

your mistake was clicking and not being sandboxed. Eset is a great AV but no product would have protected you by its self. You need to use Eset along with a product called Sandboxie and you would have more then likely not be in this mess.

12. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

An ESET moderator has offered help and suggestions to the original poster.

Let's dispense with suggestions at this point.

13. I_need_help

I'm sorry, but what does boot even mean? and what the heck is sxs.exle or whatever it's called? If I was a tech wizard with computers, I wouldnt be having this problem now would I...

and for the record, I didnt buy this computer. It was a friend of my father's, he's the one who we usually go to for problems. This was the computer I got after my previous computer seemed to catch spyware (though I had never gone to dodgy sites... at least, not that I know of). So I'm too incredibly embarassed and ashamed to tell him that he problem has occured again, I just cant. I know that my pc is hp, so maybe I'll be able to, I dont know, see if the company is here and hopefully get my computer to be reformatted

14. ryran

ryran Registered Member

I can see that you're frustrated and not very confident in your abilities, but you have to try dude. You caused this. I suggest you take responsibility for it and start looking around a bit. Use google. First thing you could find is what ecls.exe is (PS: I didn't know before I read this).

I can give you a little more info about the nature of your problem:
    Antivirus2008Pro (or whichever variant you have) is not an A/V program at all. It's extortion-ware. You likely installed it with a fake video codec package. If you created the subject of this thread (regarding the 40+ viruses) because of that app's report about viruses you can calm down a bit -- If NOD32 isn't yelling at you, you almost definitely don't have any viruses. Antivirus2008 [just] cripples your computer, displays a fake a/v gui reporting threats that aren't there, installs some trojans, and then begs for money. Do what Marcos suggested and if you're still in the weeds, you could likely fix most of your problem with AV2008 by downloading, installing, and running a scan with a combination of the two programs: Spybot Search & Destory and Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008 Free.

I wouldn't be surprised AV2008 is your only problem. Note, for the future that trjam's mention of Sandboxie was spot-on. If you use it, this won't happen again.

15. I_need_help

There's an infiltration

2, 3, a bit more even. I know that ESET hasnt removed them. The infiltration only appears with a custom scan, when I click on everything, not with the standard scan

and is it safe to remove quaratined objects? i want to delete and therefore just get rid of them, but does that mean they go right back into the system? Or are they deleted for good?

And also, should I turn off system restore to be able to delete the quarantined objects (all of which are called viruses, worms 32, etc etc.) or... what?

16. BerserkerPup

BerserkerPup Registered Member

What security software are you running besides NOD32?

17. I_need_help

I'm not really running anything, but as previously mentioned, there's this SpyGuarder program that's pissing me off a lot, and I cant seem to find a way to delete it.

What it does is constantly send up a sort of pop-up that explains I have 42 viruses, and every time I try to turn the computer off, it gives me a message to get a license (talk about desperate) and it wont let me exit it in anyway.

When I finally find the program in the Application files, I cant delete because it says it's in use. BUt I'm not using it, and I cant seem to find a way to exit it? I'm sure that SpyGuarder isnt even a legit site. THose @$*(^% (excuse me for my language)

And while AntiVirus 08 is pretty much gone (no more pop-ups at the very least) I can navigate internet explorer easily. There's an: Insecure Internet activity. Threat of virus attack

That's the message I recieve each time I open Internet explorer, and the message appears every other time I navigate a web page (it's giving me hell each time I try to post here, that's for sure)

If you're up for reading, this is the entire message:

Due to insecure Internet browsing your PC can easily get infected with viruses, worms and trojans without your knowledge, and that can lead to system slowdown, freezes and crashes.
    Also insecure Internet activity can result in revealing your personal information.
    To get full advanced real-time protection for PC and Internet activity, register KvmSecure.

We recommend you to protect your PC now and continue safe Internet browsing.

Click here to get full advanced real-time protection and continue browsing.

Continue to this website unprotected (not recommended).

^ ^ That is all.

The infiltration btw is reported by ESET and my computer starts to go haywire most of the time before I turn it off in desperation and fear

18. The Nodder

The Nodder Registered Member

Download SUPERantispyware, install it, update it and scan your system.

I'll be very surprised if it does not get rid of all or most of your infections, that it is, not viruses.

http://www.superantispyware.com

theres a free version, or you can get the pay for version. It really is a super program.

19. ZeroOne

ZeroOne Registered Member

I Have The Same Infection As You, I Ran SysInspector And Found The Viruses Easily, I Have Sent Samples To ESET And They Will Detected Soon in Any Of The Following Updates, :)

But If Possible Use Sysinspector And Find Yours And Zip Them With 7Z Software using "infected" password to ~Comment removed. ESET has offered help in this thread. - Ron~

I Will Tell You If They Are New Viruses And Send Them To ESET.

Note : Never Install Prompts For Installing Antivirus From Web They Are 90+% Rough Spywares.

regards

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2008
  20. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

As noted here, an ESET moderator has offered help.

This thread is closed until such time an ESET moderator responds. More posts on this topic will be removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.