I guess I was Wrong about BitDefender?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by tomdy2k, Dec 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tomdy2k

tomdy2k Registered Member

Hi

I never could see why people had all this complaints about it but 2014 total and my win 7 64bit seem to have problems,...I get a red warning B that on access scanning is disabled and active virus control stays off and won't turn on....

plus once in awhile my amd 3620 apu crashes and just video streaks across screen..Has only happened with BD on my computer.:mad:

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

For some reason BD has a long and distinguished history of running much better in 3rd party antivirus programs than its own.

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Been using it almost since 2014 came out with zero problems or complaints.
    Jerry

4. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

You may have just hexed yourself Jerry.:D

5. dwaitz

dwaitz Registered Member

I wish I were wrong about BitDefender. I had a relatively good experience with BD Total Security 2013 - Today I went to update to the "New Total Security 2013" - Obviously I had to uninstall the old, but also had to go into every nook and cranny to find where it's hanging out. (Wiki has a good process). Unfortunately - since I've uninstalled BD I cannot install, download or run ANYTHING, not Microsoft Office products, Free Cell. I can open the internet, but only through a prior NYTimes portal link I created earlier. Otherwise, IE does not open. I even uninstalled Chrome a couple weeks ago because it was bogging down my computer, now I can't even re-install Chrome. Although Avangate, i.e. BD says my problem is escalated to the highest attention, I spent over 5 1/2 hours on it today and got nowhere. I also called them a half dozen times. They are extremely nice and seem very genuine. Until today, I have recommended this product to everyone. I hope they make it right, because right now my computer and all its programs are useless, not to mention that I have NO security....I cannot download ANYTHING. So you may be wrong.......or you maybe right......(Think it was an old Billy Joel song) Good Luck in cyber world. This is my first and probably my last post, but I want others to know that I had a horrible time with Bitdefender this round. Read their very own forums on the Bitdefender website and you will see that others are having similar issues. All the best.....Happy Holy Daze!

6. tomdy2k

tomdy2k Registered Member

I took it off my computer..no more crashing so far.:D

7. aztony

aztony Registered Member

I am simply amazed that with the sheer volume of negative feedback from users on forums across the web about the instability of this product, regardless of its detection rates, people still put this program on their systems. Sure, some people have claimed to have no issues, but by and large they seem to be in the minority.

8. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

It's easy, because Bitdefender is loaded with top tier awards from all major testing institutions, almost always among the top three in every category and all the ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ pc magazines out there just rebrand AV-Comparatives or AV-Test results into their own tests. So for the average Joe, who relies on awards, Bitdefender seems to be the best thing you can get. Personally I'd rather have a rootkit on my computer than something like Bitdefender Total Security, as the rootkit is at least quiet and unobtrusive. Yet in Bitdefender's defense I wouldn't touch most of the competition either.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2013
  9. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi dwaitz,
    It must be frustrating to cope with what is happening to your computer. I would suggest to re-install Windows and all your programs if you know how to do it, after saving your valuable data.

If you can't access your data within Windows, it could be done with a live Linux CD. It requires some knowledge, eventually any repair shop can easily do it. I would also recommend to you in the future to invest some time in learning how to create a backup image of your system, it has become an easy process, and in situations like yours, you would get your computer working properly within half an hour without wasting time trying to troubleshoot the problem. Have you tried Windows System Restore?

10. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

This is so true! Last 2 AV choices I made I was sold because they used the BD engine. Currently I am happily running EAM (Emsisoft).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.