I got caught!

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by noone_particular, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Found this is my Yahoo Mail yesterday. No doubt, there's spies everywhere! :eek:
    newspam2.gif
    Yahoo didn't catch the infected attachment. Still doesn't recognize it today. VirusTotal had 10 out of 42 detections last nite. It's 18 of 42 now.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

The "FedEx notification" looks suspicious as well.
    Lots of FedEx email viruses being sent.
    For one thing, the legit company name is FedEx Corporation, not "FedEx inc". ;)

3. CogitoTesting

CogitoTesting Registered Member

If you are married then you are in trouble, BIG time. Please confess your sins at ounce and BEG your wife for forgiveness... :D.

Thanks.

4. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahaha i can't believe people really waste their time trying to scam through mails xD
    I guess they really do work . . . :rolleyes:

5. noone_particular

I set this Yahoo account up years ago back when I was beta testing SSM, just to catch malware. It's proved out to be one of my better sources. I haven't posted the e-mail addy in years. Whoever keeps sending this stuff definitely keeps the addresses for a long time.

Combined with some better social engineering and a bit of research on their potential target, this tactic could be very effective. Spoof the sender name to one the intended victim knows for starters.
    Hmmm. At 40KB, those pics are either very small or very short on detail. Sounds like a "That's not me" defense coming. In the mean time, I'll have to discuss sleeping arrangements with the dog. Maybe he's got a corner in his house I can use.

6. noone_particular

3 days later, Norton AV at Yahoo finally recognizes the file as malicious. If that's not poor enough performance, I've received another e-mail very similar to it, with "photos.zip" attached again, plus a few text obscenities in the message that are supposed to look like an enraged girlfriend who can't type or spell. The file goes right past Norton again, even though it's identified as the same file at VirusTotal.

7. guest

guest Guest

8. noone_particular

That's a possibility, a very unethical one if it's true. It's also possible that Norton is not being kept up to date on Yahoo mail due to a configuration error on their end.

9. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

She's unlikely to believe he's remorseful until he signs up for sex addition rehab. That's the latest trend.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.