I got 150 MBPS WLAN speed using a Tomato Firmware

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by berryracer, Feb 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. berryracer

berryracer Suspended Member

I have a Linksys E4200 and I could never get more than 72.2 mbps from my Wireless connection

I did a lot of research and it seems that the Tomato (modified) firmware is able to force 40 mhz. speeds on the 2.4 GHz. band which in turn resulted in me getting full speed of 150 mbps using the Atheros Wireless AR9485 Driver 10.0.0.75

I suggest if you have a linksys router to download the Tomato Firmware relevant to your router from this link, then select the one relevant to your router model. No need for VLAN the STD GUI is enough:

-http://www.4shared.com/dir/v1BuINP3/Toastman_Builds.html#dir=v1BuINP3-

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2013
  2. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

The speed shown in windows is only a theoretical speed and actual speeds are usually much lower. You can do a quick test on speedtest.com, though there's a big chance that your limited by your internet subscription speed, but it is still a nice tool to see if you get what you're paying for. You could also copy files via your Wlan to another computer to test your Wlan speed.

3. berryracer

oh I dont mean internet speeds bro my connection is only 30 mbps down / 3 mbps up

I was talking about network bandwidth, even though it is theoritical, before it was always stuck at 72.2 mbps :)

4. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Yes, I know, that's why I suggested copying a file over Wlan to another local computer to test your Wlan speed ;)

5. Raza0007

Raza0007 Registered Member

Are you sure this is all what the firmware is doing? Some of these custom firmwares increase the power output of the transceivers inside your router to a little beyond their max official limit. Think of it like over-clocking your cpu. So, you get better transfer rates but at the risk of damaging your transceiver chip inside the router, most likely from buildup of excessive heat. Make sure you keep an eye on the router during heavy use, so it does not get too hot, or move it to a well ventilated room.

6. berryracer

thanks for the tip d00d

7. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

But what about the devices that communicate through the router? Unless their radios can go at 150, the weakest link in the chain will throttle this 150-fire-breathing speed down to 72 or 54 ..., won't it?

I think Tomato is using two wifi channels to do that on 2.4g, it might be one on 5ghz, but I'm not sure since I'm limited here to 2.4ghz and 72 rate on my LAN devices running Shibby's Tomato on Asus router :(

8. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

mostly this is due to the card you have. the reason you saw 150 instead is due to the use of the 40mhz band, which in turn will shorten your range and increase possible errors. the reason most likely for this is because you have a broadcomm based triple stream router and are using a dual stream atheros card and this is normal. the point is this is not just from flashing firmware. you have to many variables and as states the speed shown is only there to show what could be. because you have a atheros card they only show a solid link rate. if you had a intel card the link rate would vary up and down based on distance and signal strength...

act trust me there is ZERO gaurantees you will be able to get 150 or 300 or even 450 it all depends on way to many factors and i have found while i do really like atheros cards they dont always mix well with broadcomm routers which if it runs tomato it has to be. same goes for realtek / broadcomm etc...

9. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

zfactor, 150Mbps doesn’t need 40mhz bandwidth with 2 streams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11n-2009#Data_rates).

You will get improved diversity (can lead to better signal/transfer rates) running a 3 stream {antenna} router over a 2 stream router connected to a 2 stream client.

zfactor, you are right about advertised rate VS actual rate, I am lucky my intel wlan card advertises the actual transfer rate (which is still only indicative of the max you can get), my usb sticks only the max transfer rate negotiated.

I am using Toastman as well, its a good firmware :)
    If you go into the status >device list section it gives you actual tx/rx rates (again only indicative of the actual max you can get) and signal quality.

Cheers, Nick

10. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i know that about the 2 streams BUT the single band 2 stream wireless cards will not normally get over 75 with the e4200 router along with many others. they will however when you double it to 40 then it will jump straight to 115-150 from the 75. i get these calls all the time when people buy a new laptop especially hp since many use the atheros 3x series half height cards and i have to explain to them the same thing. sorry didnt mean it was actually due to the dual stream i was simply saying it was due to the type of wireless card being a atheros / 2 antenna / dual stream model. this is common and they rarely ever see higher then 75/78 on the 2.4 band. now if you switch out the 2 stream half height card using the 3x series atheros as a example here with a 3 stream full height atheros on the e4200 router you would normally instantly see either 150 or 270 /300 in the 5 band. this is just due to them (atheros) by design. not to say you dont know and i dont mean it that way but i deal (sell) linksys, netgear, atheros, intel cards etc i see this end result all the time.

same goes for the wndr4000 as a example now on this router because its a supposed 900 model with the atheros 3 stream card you would see 217 / 450 again not saying its because of the 2 stream directly but because the card is a 2 stream model if that makes sense more now.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  11. NGRhodes

NGRhodes Registered Member

Thanks for the clarification :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.