I give you groups of programs you must choose which to use

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Mrkvonic, Feb 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    Let's say you are forced to use only certain applications - I know, not very realistic, but imagine. Which ones of the following would you take as your one and only security suite?

Please try to rationalize your choice!
    There are lots of choices, but please go through them and explain your views. Cheers and enjoy!

Group 1
    ZoneAlarm Free firewall
    Avast / AVG anti-virus
    Firefox browser

Group 2
    Windows firewall
    PestPatrol
    Maxthon broswer
    Secure it & HardenIt
    Samurai
    WWDC

Group 3
    Outpost firewall
    NOD32 anti-virus
    IE browser

Group 4
    Jetico firewall
    Proxomitron web filter
    Firefox browser

Group 5
    Kerio 4 firewall
    Kaspersky anti-virus
    Opera browser

Group 6
    NIS 2006 security suite
    Firefox browser

Group 7
    ShadowUser
    BitDefender anti-virus
    IE browser

Group 8
    Netveda firewall
    Antvir anti-virus
    Spybot S&D with TeaTimer enabled
    ScriptSentry or ScriptDefender
    SafeXP
    Firefox browser

Group 9
    Sygate firewall
    MSAS real-time
    AdAware SE
    Firefox browser

Group 10
    CHX-I firewall
    A2 with real-time
    Proxomitron web filter
    K-Meleon browser

Group 11
    Windows firewall
    AVG anti-virus
    ProcessGuard
    IE browser

Group 12
    No firewall but ICS / NAT
    SpySweeper real-time
    Firefox browser

Group 13
    ZoneAlarm firewall
    Ewido with real-time
    Opera browser

Group 14
    Tiny firewall
    Norton anti-virus
    PestPatrol or BOClean
    IE browser

Group 15
    Sygate firewall
    Online Armor
    IE browser

Group 16
    Windows firewall
    DefenceWall
    Firefox browser

Please why?

Mrk

2. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Hi MrKvonic,

Personally I would go with

Group 5
    Kerio 4 firewall
    Kaspersky anti-virus
    Opera browser

Descent firewall will do what you need inbound and outbound, can also be configured to add rules for specific needs.

Anti-Virus is a perfect choice in this scenarios and would more then likely give the virus/trojan/spyware a bust (please do note that it's main function is to stop viruses anything else is an added bonus).

As for the Browser it remains a good choice since most or the problems occurs to IE. This would make the best sens in basic security to start with this group.

Regards,
    fluxgfx.com

3. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

hmmm bit unsure as to the hypothisis of the original question, but I also am in total agreement with FluxGFX if only to pick a single group.

Since I use exactly the same set up in that group, I guess:

Number Five is Alive! :ouch: :ouch: :cautious: :thumb:

TAS

4. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

i dont like any of those choices but firefox is a must for me. thus i would choose number one. zonealarm and avast are both free and offer decent protection. i like package three but i wouldnt want to use IE.

5. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Yup #5 here as well. It's got KAV. Right now my most trusted AV's are NOD32 & KAV. On my computer right now is NOD32 as resident & KAV3.5 on demand. Kerio as a firewall, tried it once as I was having problems with .msi extensions which f'd up my Sygate install. Liked Kerio OK. Once I got the .msi problem sorted. I went back to Sygate. Now I'm using GhostWall. With all the other security apps I'm running GhostWall is more than sufficient. Without those apps I'd use Kerio or Sygate. ZA imo sucks. And especially about the recent reports of ZA spying on it's users. And I don't have Firefox installed anymore. Opera just kicks FF *ss. That's why #5 here.

#1 no because of ZA & FF. Avast Home is imo the best of the free AV's. Ime AVG is a toy compared to Avast.

#2 no because windows fw & imo pestpatrol is pos program & should destroyed. Don't know what WWDC is. But if it's window washer, see my description of pestpatrol. Maxthon is just a ie shell. Gotta have my Opera. I like HardenIt. Haven't used either SecureIT or Samurai.

#3 no because outpost won't leave me alone. Keeps fn prompting me. I'm down with NOD32. I have ie titled as "The Browser of Last Resort" on my box.

#4 no because Jetico kinda weird some bugs. Proxomitron web filter is beyond me. Never got it to work. Gotta have my Opera.

#6 no because I don't have a Cray supercomputer, so nis would make it crawl. Besides their products are pos. Except WinDoctor. Gotta have my Opera.

#7 no because never used ShadowUser. And BD is too invasive almost like norton. Gotta have my Opera.

#8 no because never used Netveda firewall. Antvir anti-virus isn't rated that high & yrs ago didn't uninstall nicely. Spybot S&D with TeaTimer enabled, have that now. Use ScripTrap instead of ScriptSentry or ScriptDefender. XP AntiSpy imo is better than SafeXP. Gotta have my Opera.

#9 no because theres no AV. Gotta have my Opera.

#10 no because see my previous description of Proxomitron web filter that fits CHX-I firewall as well. Not impressedwith A2. Gotta have my Opera.

#11 I'm down with PG. But no cause of thoughts about these other programs.

#12 no because never used ICS / NAT. See my description of pestpatrol & think spysweeper. No Opera!

#13 no because see above for ZA. No AV, thats crazy. Ewido's OK.

#14 no because never used Tiny, heard it's not easy. See above for norton. See above for pp & add boclean to that. Gotta have my Opera.

#15 no because never used Online Armor. No AV, thats crazy. Sygate's good.Gotta have my Opera.

#16 no because no AV. Never used dw. wf is lousy. Opera, gotta have it!

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

I would go with No 16 without Windows Firewall as I have a hardware wall and I don't think much of signature based security apps.

Defencewall protected the user against the latest WMF zero day whereas none of the siggy based could until they updated.;)

7. TECHWG

TECHWG Guest

You can not limit people like that. I will give my opinion . . .
    Group 1
    sunbelt Kerio 4 firewall
    Bit defender 9
    Opera browser
    Adaware

Group 2
    Outpost Firewall Pro (latest)
    F-Secure Antivirus
    Process Guard (free)
    adaware
    opera / Firefox

Group 3
    Tiny Personal Firewall W/O firewall core installed
    Outpost firewall Pro (latest verison)
    adaware
    opera

and my choice varys from month to month but they are the combos i usually use

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Group 5
    Kerio 4 firewall
    Kaspersky anti-virus
    Opera browser

That's what I'm running on my laptop. :D

9. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

# 3 is good but , the best protection group is # 5 . Opinion or not , that offers the best protection of the groups .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.