I don't understand

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Xeolyte, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xeolyte

Xeolyte Registered Member

I bought Acronis True Image because it got the best ratings .. it's definitely not for someone like me who just doesn't understand. I was using ghost on my old computer.

Is there an Acronis for dummies or something out there?

2. Jaki

Jaki Guest

The user guide would hwlp, don't you think?

3. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Another place for additional reading would be my guides listed on line 2 of my signature below.

4. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

What bits don't you understand and what are you wanting to do?

Colin

5. Xeolyte

Well you are absolutely right .. the user guide would help if it was written in a way i could understand. I have read the users guide from start to finish and even sometimes sideways.

I've tried to understand, honest. I read the instructions very carefully. Sometimes out loud! I've even got a few backups made by Acronis. When I tried to restore my system to an earlier version, it asked me where to put it cause it wouldn't RESTORE to the drive that was screwed up. So I put the cd in the slot and I couldn't find restore on it anywhere.

My XP computer got/is infected with a virus this morning which turned off system security to where you couldn't turn it back on, deleted all my restore points, turned off my firewall, turned off my antivirus, mugged spybot. blocked access to My Computer, laughed when you tried to go to task manager and created so many entries in Event Viewer that I haven't gotten to the bottom of the list yet and generally gave me a really bad day.

Going into safe mode which took 3 tries I finally got my antivirus to do a boot scan where it found all sorts of trojans. I then did a thorough scan and it found bunches more. I repeated the last two procedure twice before my antivirus didn't have hissy fits. I then uninstalled spybot and reinstalled it and it continued find stuff the antivirus apparently missed.

Too bad suicide isn't an option. My cats would get hungry.

So I cancelled all of my clients for tomorrow and plan to format the bloody disk and reinstall XP etc. All I can say is thank GOD I don't let outlook save my emails on the system drive. The system drive has nothing on it but the system and programs.

Actually I've had a bad last 5 days .. kids set my backyard on fire with friggin rockets which burnt half my shed and melted every plastic plant pot I owned. But that's another story.

I'd really like to figure out how to restore the system with the image I have but I don't have a clue.

What got me was Virtumonde. I use Avast Anti-virus & Comodo Firewall

Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  6. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

OK, so we are talking about a paid for version of TI? By that I mean not the trial version.

The CD is it one that TI built for you or is it the CD that came with TI on it when purchased?

There most definitely should be a 'Restore' option on the CD based version.

Having said that, if it has a problem finding an internal drive then it may well be more intelligent these days and not provide a restore option.

If you made the CD did you include the SAFE option? It might be that Linux has difficulty with your PC's chipset. If you have registered your copy of TI, then you can log into your account and download the SAFE rescue environment, though you'll need to reburn a new CD.

Perhaps some details of your PC, as then we might be able to see if you have a system that is known to have a problem and if there is an easy workaround.

Colin

7. GroverH

GroverH Registered Member

Xeolyte,
    Did you check the guides listed iin post #3. The restore guide will guide you thru the maze plus the guides tell you how to make a Rescue CD; or follow the alternate link below.

How To Create a TrueImageHome Rescue CD
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=188253

If you are referring to version 2009, the link below is a "work in progress" but you might find it helpful.
    This link shows how to restore a disk image using a 2 partition disk as the example.

http://grover.tabinc.com/gh-temp/2009-4946.pdf

8. Xeolyte

Thanks for all your help. A little about me before I continue .. I'm not stupid. I have been using computers since 1978. My first home computer was a CPM based Osborne. Also, I build my own computers. I built this one last year. For video editing. This is the very first time I have EVER gotten a virus .. I don't know what went wrong.

Corsair (8 x 1GB Memory)
    Corsair Power Supply
    Intel core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz CPU
    Zalman 2 Ball CPU Cooler
    MSI Platinum ATX Intel MB
    3-HD 250GB - SATA
    Saitek Eclipse II Keyboard USB
    Sapphire Radeon Video Card
    4 port USB 2.0.5 Card

http://www.nerii.org/BI.jpg

C is my system. I didn't partition it because I was in a hurry to get this puppy up and running for a big job and was planning to partition later and do a dual boot. In case something like this happened.

ICE DATA AND MEDIA ARE ON 1 DRIVE
    ICE CLIENT AND BACK-UP ARE ON 1 DRIVE
    SPIDER IS AN EXTERNAL

My TI copy is a bought one, it's TI 11 Home. I have not had a chance to review all the threads .. on this site. As I said, I've been having a bad day. I'm up and running but weird things happen like serious hangs and slowdowns when trying to do something system. Some boots it's intermittent and other boots I crash down to the BSOD before I can get to my desktop. I have a tib file from August I'd like to restore. That would mean I'd only have to spend half a day rebuilding the computer rather than a whole day.

X

9. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

OK - TI 11 - same deal, but I wonder if it'll like your chipset.

It is worth downloading the SAFE rescue environment and remaking the Rescue CD. Choose SAFE mode when it comes around to the menu screen, and see if; A) You now have a restore option and, B) if it now recognises your drives. Make sure the backup drive is connected to a rear USB port if possible and that the external drive is not connected through an external hub.

I'm wondering if TI is happy with more than 4GB of physical RAM.

It may also be worth checking in the BIOS if there is a legacy option.

Colin

10. MrMorse

MrMorse Registered Member

That is no problem.
    I have a Vista64 with 8GB and Ti11.
    It works fine under Windows and you can start by rescue-CD.
    The Linux uses 3.5GB and it works.

11. Xeolyte

I've got a fresh install of XP now with all drivers for hardware, antivirus, firewall and XP updates. I'm about to install TI

I partitioned and formatted the disk and want to do a clone of what I have now on the other partition.

I'm at ground zero so if someone could point me to a step by step I'd appreciate it.

X

12. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

To clarify:

You have a drive with Windows on it:

You have more than one partition on this drive?

You want to restore an image you already have on to this drive, onto this drive but in another partition?

You want to clone this current install to a spare drive?

You want to clone a previous drive to your newly 'revamped' Windows installation.

I just want to be clear that we're all using the same terminology here before we send you off on a frustrating goose chase. :)

Colin

P.S. Assuming cloning is what you want to do Grover's Guide

13. Xeolyte

I have one drive. I call it the System drive.

I formatted the system drive, partitioned it and installed XP on one of the partitions. A fresh install.

I do NOT want to restore an image.

I want to clone the fresh install and put it on the 2nd partition of the system drive as a dual boot.

I will start reading Grovers Guide.

14. shieber

shieber Registered Member

Grover's is a very good place to start. If still perpelexed on a particular issue then peruse the stickies at the top of this forum, then if you still have a prob, do a forum search. That's the fastest way to get good info. If none of that works, come on back and ask some specific questions.

But at this point you're not using terminology the way Acronis does, which isn't a sin but it means you're probably as fresh as a newborn and questions are as likely to get you into trouble as help you at this point.

15. como

como Registered Member

In TI speak you cannot clone one partition to another partition, clone is for replacing one drive with another, i.e. replace the system drive with a larger one.

If you want a duel boot system then you need to image the system partition to another drive, internal or external and then restore the image to the second partition, if you are not sure how to make it a duel boot system then some of the experts on here will no doubt give you advice.
    I too have a new computer with the same CPU but a different motherboard to you. TI 11 rescue disk could not see my sata internal drives but after using the live chat service Acronis gave me a link to download an iso that works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.