I don't Understand...Why?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by ueler, Nov 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ueler

ueler Registered Member

I have tried several times... I have TI scheduled to make a full back up on Sundays and then differential back ups every other day of the week. I have noticed that the the differential back ups are the same size if not just a little smaller that the complete full back up. I thought it was because of defrag but I made sure that the drive that my backup goes to is not been defragged. What else could cause such problems or is this how the differential works in TI? Help!

2. dld

dld Registered Member

"I made sure that the drive that my backup goes to is not been defragged"

It's the source drive, not the target drive, that should not be defragged if you want your differential backups to be smaller. At least, that's the case for incremental backups.

3. ueler

ueler Registered Member

So when would be the best time to defrag the source drives?

4. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Just before a FULL backup.;) And not again until just before the NEXT full backup.

5. Doug_B

Doug_B Registered Member

...and it's probably prudent to have done a differential or incremental backup just before the defrag.

Doug

6. crofttk

Indeed, ITA.

7. ueler

ueler Registered Member

So if I understand correctly. Set my defra program to run once a week just before TI runs a full back up on lets say (Sunday). Then set TI to then run differential back ups the rest of the day of the week (Monday-Saturday)

8. crofttk

Yep, you got it, and that's the best I can think of. Anybody have any other suggestions ?

9. Feanor

Feanor Guest

False... I´m not defragmenting the source drive, and the first incremental backup just after the complete backup, with version TI9, does a file the same size +- than complete one... the second incremental has low size (correct), and the following ones too....... but the first incremental after complete, is just so big as complete... so.......

I have done all about configuring again the schedule, try.... and try... delete.. and try... and nothing, always the same probleme.

I don´t know what to do with this.

10. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

Feanor,
    Are you sure your full b/u and first incremental have the exact same name and target?

11. Geto

Geto Registered Member

Other reason why incremental images are the same size as base is when you
    restore image. After you restore from image and then make new incremental, TI dont remember anymore that this partition layout is already 1:1 to the base. Or restoration process simple isnt smart enough to restore partition 1:1
    to the image. I have the same problem.

12. Feanor

Feanor Guest

Ok, ok.... there is no reason.

It´s tested... i don´t know if it is just just the same size, but this is the fact!

I have one partition, with photos, docs and videos, of 60Gb.... I think, in three weeks, only 100Mb or less may be changed... no defragmentation, no restores... not moving big files.... only adding little photos... or docs.... only changing like I said 100 Mb or less a month.

Ok... I pretend to do a full backup a month, and incrementals the next day yes, and the next not... each two days (sorry for my english)... Ok, for this partition, and for all partitions I´m doing backup (3 partitions including the system one), the first incremental just after backup makes me a file so big as complete... the following ones are correct....

It is always..... I have tested it, and I have tried, by example, to do it without escheduling nothing.... just press complete.... and just press incremental... I have tried all.. and that´s the fact.... Now I´m trying v9.0.2302, and let´s see whats happen... because I need version 9 since I want to restore backups from rescue disk on my new Nvidia Raid (the unique version with the drivers included in rescue disk)...

I don´t know if the size is exact, but it´s about 45 Gb, just as complete, and spends hours with the incremental... repeat... less than 40 Mb of changes in partition this time.... really really strange but true.

13. crofttk

Maybe not. Can you answer TheWeaz's question ?

And surely you're backing up TO a partition other than the 3 partitions you are backing up, right ?

Last edited: Nov 16, 2005
  14. Feanor

Feanor Guest

Sure...

I answer... yes, I´m sure of it... the source is always the same, and the target is also "maletin.tib" for the two tasks, the complete and incremental... also, I said I tried doing the incremental manually, without scheduling.... and the same error.... but...........

The new version, v9.0.2302, does the incremental the old way... as it is... tried installing just over the previous version... no modified the scheduling tasks, removed the old archives, cross my fingers and go on... NOW Acronis TI does really an incremental file of 1-2% of complete image full size, and in one minute or less... that´s the way..... I suppose.

I repeat, before I really couldn´t do this... so I think the .2302 has improved this issue.... a note to the people with the same problem I had.

Thanks for your attention. I can not explain no more about the origin of the problem I had.

Thanks.

15. Feanor

Feanor Guest

I forgot to remind you the problem with the incremental: only was when doing the First incremental just after the complete backup.... the second and third and the rest were doing good... source and backup file just the same... I tested several times because it was a problem important to me, and I´m not so "dummy" :) :) :)

bye, and thanks.

16. crofttk

OK, no "dummy" implied. Sometimes it's best to make sure the questions are answered that other people may just assume an answer to.

Glad it worked out for you ! Some of us are still waiting for fixes to be included in the NEXT build.

17. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello ueler,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please do as I have suggested in my post #8 made in this previous thread.

Updating to the latest build (2302) of Acronis True Image 9.0 should solve the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
  18. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Feanor,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

I'm glad to hear that you managed to solve the problem.

Actually, the problem that you and ueler have reported is known and has already been investigated and fixed since build 2281 of Acronis True Image 9.0.

Please accept our apologies for the current inconvenience.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Last edited: Nov 17, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.